Premed 101 Forums

How late is too late for booking electives?

Hi,

I applied for february electives during the summer and got rejected for my first application (PM&R elective) at ULaval. Since there are only 2 schools in Quebec that have a PM&R residency, I've already missed out on 50% of them for that rotation (I also applied for the second half of february) so I'd like to diversify and try to get a 2-week elective in Ontario. I was wondering if it was too late to realistically have a chance of getting one since I'd rather not spend about 100$/application if it's doomed from the start. Also, considering the application fee and the fact that they probably already have started booking students for electives, is it acceptable to contact the programs to ask if they still have room before applying or would that be considered unprofessional?

If it matters, the schools I'd probably apply to are Toronto, Ottawa, Queens, McMaster and Western (maybe Dalhousie as well) although I'll obviously double check to make sure they have a PM&R program.

Thanks!

Toronto actually encourages you to contact departments/programs directly, before making an application, so that would work there (but check through their links).

On the other hand, other places explicitly forbid you from making such contact.  McMaster gives some indication of availability of electives, which could help.  Some places will refund you if there's no availability during an open window (check their rules).  

Calgary also encourages you to contact the programs to confirm your elective position, before applying through the AFMC Portal to minimize fees. 

Western was the worst. They charge $1000 for late elective applications, capitalizing on the desperation of medical students who are scrambling to find electives. And if there are no positions available, they would not refund the $1000. I wonder if they have made any changes since. 

25 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

Calgary also encourages you to contact the programs to confirm your elective position, before applying through the AFMC Portal to minimize fees. 

Western was the worst. They charge $1000 for late elective applications, capitalizing on the desperation of medical students who are scrambling to find electives. And if there are no positions available, they would not refund the $1000. I wonder if they have made any changes since. 

:o ???

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 9:45 AM, ArchEnemy said:

$1000? TT 

- G

Archived