Premed 101 Forums

What to wear at interview?

Just wear something that matches. Wearing something purely to stand out is a risk - If for whatever reason the article used to stand out becomes a distraction, there is no way the interviewers will be listening to what you are saying. If a purple tie compliments the suit well, by all means go for it! I would caution though risking any clashing colours just to showcase your love of the Mustangs :P 

No reason to wear something that makes you stand out IMO - I feel that at best it has no effect but at worst can be negative for some interviewers.

Only wear it if you think you will be more comfortable or confident for whatever reason. Although admittedly if it's just the purple tie I can't see that affecting anything.

I doubt standing out is going to help your interview. There could be some unconscious bias if they like what you're wearing but from what I've heard, the committee who decides who is admitted is different than those people who are interviewing you, so it's not like they will remember you. I'm just wearing what I feel most confident in. Going for the look good, feel good approach lol.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, mothernature said:

I doubt standing out is going to help your interview. There could be some unconscious bias if they like what you're wearing but from what I've heard, the committee who decides who is admitted is different than those people who are interviewing you, so it's not like they will remember you. I'm just wearing what I feel most confident in. Going for the look good, feel good approach lol.

Ya but realistically all the committee does is add up the Z-scores from your interview/GPA/MCAT/ABS and hand out acceptances to the top 250 or so applicants after the waitlist is done. So the impression you make on your interviewers can have an impact especially since your interview score is usually a big chunk of the final formula. 

8 minutes ago, ysera said:

Ya but realistically all the committee does is add up the Z-scores from your interview/GPA/MCAT/ABS and hand out acceptances to the top 250 or so applicants after the waitlist is done. So the impression you make on your interviewers can have an impact especially since your interview score is usually a big chunk of the final formula. 

Plus what you wear to the interview may influence how you are feeling about the interview and thus you performance - it may not be their unconcious bias that matters. It could be yours.

There is a lot of this indirect stuff in interview psychology that croups up - which is why I think it is important to go to the interview in clothes you don't think someone would judge you negatively for ha. They may not care at all about your clothes but you might be then - and that distracts you from doing your best, and in turns makes it more likely your fears will manifest. 

Archived