Premed 101 Forums

UofA vs UofC (waitlist)

Hi everyone,

I've been waitlisted at both Alberta and Calgary. Since I live in Edmonton I'd prefer to go to UofA but I was wondering, what happens if UofC accepts me before UofA and theres still a chance that UofA might accept me? I know that with waitlist offers, theres only a few days before you have to accept. I'd be grateful to go anywhere of course, but for a few other significant reasons UofA is the better choice for my circumstances.

Is it possible to accept at UofC and pay the deposit, but then withdraw if I get accepted to UofA? I wouldn't get my money back but in the long run its worth it. Thanks for any insight! 

EDIT: ALSO, is it true that part of your ranking on the waitlist depends on if you're currently in a program?

1 minute ago, PlsLetMeIn02 said:

Yes, say if you're in a masters of PhD program and you complete that program before June 15th, you get moved up on the waitlist (according to UofA admissions team). 

Omg so being in the middle of a program is a disadvantage? I just finished the first year of my MSc and my prof is willing to let me come back in the summer between year 1 and 2 (i just need 4 months to finish) and I'm totally free to start in September and I feel like my hopes just sank realizing that puts me at a disadvantage :/ 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:48 PM, teeezyyy said:

Omg so being in the middle of a program is a disadvantage? I just finished the first year of my MSc and my prof is willing to let me come back in the summer between year 1 and 2 (i just need 4 months to finish) and I'm totally free to start in September and I feel like my hopes just sank realizing that puts me at a disadvantage :/ 

Not a disadvantage, but unfortunately it's no credit to you (unless you use it as an EC as well).