Premed 101 Forums

Matured Student applying to Medical School

Hey guys, 

I thinking of chasing the Medical School dream! But there are quite a few hurdles infront of me. I was hoping to get some insight from anyone out there! 

I moved here a few years ago and I have a non-Canadian bachelor's degree in Biology (it was evaluated and found equivalent to a Canadian Degree).

My gpa is shit (3.2 overall but I did well in my last two years and even managed to get my thesis published in a medical journal). When I moved to Canada, I did a one year post graduate program after (unrelated to Biology) and graduated with a 4.2, does anyone know if this will be included in the overall GPA count when applying to Medical School?

I know my chances are low and even lower because of my GPA, but does anyone know of success stories for older applicants? I'm looking at McMasters specially and I'm currently studying for MCATs...I'm trying to really score well in the CARS section and I'm hoping to draw on my life skills, I've been working in personal injury for sometime now but have always wanted medical career. 

Is it too late?

Not too late, but that GPA is going to be a behemoth to get over. Like score a 130+ on CARS, do amazing on CASPer, and you got some potential there. Otherwise, anyway to do a fast tracked degree for an alternate career, get high GPA, and try then? Mac is nice in that it's pretty numerical, just CASPer is hard to know how to assess as feedback is never given.

It's not too late, but Mac is one of the worst schools for someone in your situation:

They don't count graduate grades, but you do get a 1% bonus though, which is nice, but not all that great since a higher CARS score (which is worth 33% of your application!) is going to give a much bigger boost. 

They look at ALL your undergraduate coursework, no drops. 

No EC evaluation. That 21 yearold who has lived to study and has a 130+ CARS score is almost assuredly more competitive than you (provided they can eke out a decent CASPer result, an area where real life experience is useful). 

So all in all, your only hope at Mac is to absolutely ace the MCAT and CASPer, which is easier said than done. If I was in your situation, I would focus on doing well on all MCAT sections and look at schools like Western and Queens that use 2 year GPA evaluation schemes. Also check to see if you could apply to Calgary with their wGPA formula (they do count grad grades), they have one of the oldest classes in Canada. 

Research each and every medical school in Canada. They are all different in the evaluation. I would also spend the money for a premed advisor. That really helps. Non-trad/Mature applicants have a tough time.

U of Calgary eliminates any school that is 10 years old. So that helps, but you need a minimum of 2 years full time, graduate school will count as one year full time so you may only need to complete one more year full time.

I to am a mature applicant with a very non-traditional pathway and have struggled. I am headed back to school in September to take Rural Pre-Med full time to boost my GPA and meet the requirements I need to get into med.

I have been chasing this dream for years. The best advice I have found is not on forums but  with actual paid premed advisors. Changed my entire trajectory.

• 1 month later...