Premed 101 Forums

Martial Arts

akatsuki

Was just wondering how many other pre meds / med students out there who are martial arts practitioners/enthusiasts/athletes. I'm a pre-med student in my second year. i come from a background with a little bit of wrestling however now train in muay thai, tae kwon doe (just a little), bjj, and boxing. i'm looking to get my first amateur fight under a regulated fight card this november. How do you guys usually balance school, naqs, work, and your training ? Also for the med students, are you able to continually train during med school itself ? feel free to talk about your disciplines.

I'm a BJJ purple belt and have been training since 2010ish. I teach the kids and beginners classes (most of the time) and during the summers I help coach MMA fighters. It isn't all that hard to balance, but the hardest part is finding ways to work around labs. It is easy to move planned studying time to another time slot in your schedule, but I can't just decide that it is easier for me to do a lab at time X when no such option exists. 

I'm a taekwondo red belt and I've been training since 2008-2009. I've had a bit of a hard time attending class twice a week during my undergrad. I usually ended up attending maybe once a week only, unfortunately. I'm hoping I'll be more disciplined this year (although I don't know why in the world I'd have more time now that I'm starting med school... maybe I'm being overly optimistic :P)

Shotokan karate black belt from 2001-2011. I moved away from my home town for undergrad so I stopped training. Still taught in the summers. Now heading back to Toronto but it's definitely a commitment. I can tell you first hand that you can definitely loose a large set of your skill if you take too long of breaks in between.

I'm a second degree black belt in Taekwondo. I couldn't give the same amount of time to training in my pre-med years as before, however with 1 hour classes it was fairly easy to attend classes and also study. I've heard that training while you're in medical school is actually a lot easier, because there's a lot less on your plate and there's also a more rigid schedule to work with.

Black belt in Taekwondo, Brown in Karate, additional years of training in Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wing Chun and Krav Maga. Martial arts is like one of the big things in my life, and it really sucked that I had to stop it this year due to being reaaaally busy. Hopefully I'll be able to schedule some time to practice during med school :)

Archived