Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Discussion/support Thread (2016)

Hey everyone! 

Are all the interviews done at Ottawa yet?

How is everyone feeling about their interview? Warm Panel? Cold Panel? 

Is Ottawa your first choice or not? 

Ill start....

I interviewed on Feb 27th and my panel seemed decently warm. I feel decent about my interview, however, as more time goes on the more it becomes a blur. Ottawa is my second choice ! Does anyone know the exact dates acceptances/rejections are sent out? 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interviews definitely aren't done yet. I believe they go for 2 more weeks. They went to April 1st last year.

I felt good about my interview until I began to think about my answers haha. The panel was really warm and I felt like I made a genuine connection with them though. 

Ottawa wasn't my first choice going into the interview but it's definitely climbed up the ranks after meeting such friendly faculty members and students!

I feel like im the only one that had a negative/not warming panel lol

you are not the only one, my friend had a really cold panel and he told me they kept pressing him. He also said that they didn't seem to want to get to know him as a person. People usually only want to post positive experiences so I am sure there are more out there who did not have a great panel and/or experience

you are not the only one, my friend had a really cold panel and he told me they kept pressing him. He also said that they didn't seem to want to get to know him as a person. People usually only want to post positive experiences so I am sure there are more out there who did not have a great panel and/or experience

See, i find this very unfair. Even if positive panel is not indicative of how well u did in the interview, that type of positivity definitley has a boosting effect to your confidence/answers. How can one applicant get a positive panel that doesnt press them but another applicant get a cold panel that keeps getting pressed/give colder demeanour lol

See, i find this very unfair. Even if positive panel is not indicative of how well u did in the interview, that type of positivity definitley has a boosting effect to your confidence/answers. How can one applicant get a positive panel that doesnt press them but another applicant get a cold panel that keeps getting pressed/give colder demeanour lol

Good point, I think Ottawa (and other medical schools) probably tells every panel to be welcoming and engaging, however, like anything in life, there are just some people who are less friendly and open compared to others. It is probably just chance and I am sure that Ottawa doesn't set it up to be like that. I like to think that they probably account for differences in panels/try to standardize it somehow. Don't sweat it, I have heard people getting in with both warm and cold panels.

I felt that way at my NOSM MMI. It was weird.

So, just wanted to clarify something about bilingualism. If you indicated bilingualism, this only plays into factor as a tie breaker when your post-interview score & gpa are equal right? (according to the website). I'm hoping bilingualism doesn't play a big factor..

Is this only for English stream applicants who are bilingual? Is the French stream in competition with the English stream or are they totally separate? 

I feel like im the only one that had a negative/not warming panel lol

I also felt like I was being pressed and challenged throughout my interview... and that at least half of the questions didn't really delve into who I am as a person. I have had so much self doubt since the interview, remembering anecdotes that would have been useful, to wishing I hadn't phrased something in a certain way... I was so impressed by the school which made me extra nervous for my interview!

I also felt like I was being pressed and challenged throughout my interview... and that at least half of the questions didn't really delve into who I am as a person. I have had so much self doubt since the interview, remembering anecdotes that would have been useful, to wishing I hadn't phrased something in a certain way... I was so impressed by the school which made me extra nervous for my interview!

What do you mean their questions didn't really delve into who you were as a person - they were mostly ethical scenarios ?

What do you mean their questions didn't really delve into who you were as a person - they were mostly ethical scenarios ?

Obviously I cannot comment on the types of questions that I was asked - and my opinion on how it went is clearly subjective! Maybe the interviewers did feel like they got a good impression of who I am. You never know, and that's probably the most important thing to keep in mind.

Im sorry that you had to experience that, but I'm also glad I'm not alone. I felt the same way.

Archived