Premed 101 Forums

considering reimplementing good/bad waitlist emails

after interviews today during the presentation Chantal stated that the admissions committee are considering reimplementing the good/bad waitlist emails for the current application cycle (bad will include the sentence "unlikely to receive an offer"). This was based on feedback of last year's students where some wanted to have a better idea of their position on the waitlist before accepting other schools. 

Amen. It was extremely frustrating to be an applicant last year. Med school acceptances are already astonishingly late compared to things like law, grad school etc. and being left in the dark as to your position on the waitlist really puts your life on hold for at least a month after the original round of acceptances come in May. I think everyone would agree that we'd prefer being told it's highly unlikely even if it is a hit to the ol' ego than simply being told to wait it out.

@Eudaimonia

According to AFMC, 164 spots out of 575 interviews (English + French stream). Every year for the past 3 years, ~90 people have declined their offers, so you're looking at around ~90 person WL movement. However, this does not include people who accepted another offer who were high up on the WL (since they never received an offer), so the WL probably moves around ~100 spots. When you factor in WL movement, you have about a 40% chance of getting accepted. 

If you are not offered admission right away at Ottawa, you are automatically put on the WL. The WL is ranked based on GPA + interview score. 

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

@Heisenberg_ There is no specific info about the numbers in each stream is there?

Ah I thought I read what brady23 wrote incorrectly but it's true there are no rejections! Definitely agree that I'd want to know if I was low on the list so I can move on with my life

As far as I know, there is no data on each stream. However, I think it is safe to assume that most of the movement is from the English stream. 

I'm pretty sure there are no rejections unless you say 'shithole countries' in your interview. 

44 minutes ago, Heisenberg_ said:

As far as I know, there is no data on each stream. However, I think it is safe to assume that most of the movement is from the English stream. 

I'm pretty sure there are no rejections unless you say 'shithole countries' in your interview. 

Yup. I asked Chantal in person and she confirmed that everyone will either get an acceptance or waitlist email. 

Archived