Premed 101 Forums

First Aid, Pathoma

14 hours ago, MDinCanada said:

I tried to but found that my school's curriculum is much more consistent with Step 2 than Step 1 material.

Agreed and even the few parts that overlap are different than in Pathoma - it's a different way of thinking than what is emphasized (not to say there's not strengths in both - just found if at all counterproductive using during the curriculum here which doesn't focus on histology/gross pathology and didn't leave me with much spare time).  

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, md2018plz said:

Pathoma is a must in M2. First Aid is overhyped. IMO it is just a compilation of notes, one that you should be aiming to emulate over the first 2 years. Students don't get much from reading notes, it's the process that's helpful.

What do you think about buying toronto notes right now or any other book as a supplement. The goal of it is to review the material after finishing med school. Like to annotate stuff during MS1/MS2 to make sure it helps during clerkship or while practicing. I know first aid (step 2) and pathoma are recommended.

First aid step 1 covers most of the basic science you should ever know and definitely more than most Canadian curriculums cover. It is not "over hyped" unless youre at Mac or something where its really far off to the wayside with basic science.  Most Canadian curriculums are yes, closer to step 2 material..but i find that it'd easier to actually understand step2 material and guidelines and treatments.. When you actually understand the pathophysiology.

17 hours ago, IMislove said:

Really? So what’s the point of having it or them working on it if it’s not a good resource for anything? So first aid and pathoma are the go tos for pre clerk/clerkship? 

There isn’t much point in having them. They’re a very low quality resource. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got Toronto Notes. I used it during pre-clerkship and clerkship. I wouldn't say they are complete garbage, I found that it was quite useful. It tends to go more in depth than your usual textbook, but I found it useful to cover areas that I wasn't planning on specializing in. 

Using Toronto Notes will help you pass your MCCQE pt 1. 

Archived