Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

OOP cornfed lad straight from U of Sasky

Last two years GPA: 3.73

Achieved high grades in biochemistry, microbiology, and cell biology. 

I only did one full 30-credit course load out of my three years in university and had a GPA of 3.3 (I know it’s trash) I was very nervous about this and thought it was going to be the downfall of my application but I guess they don’t care as much about it as I thought!

Letter of Intent: It was really good I think. I have no experience in pharmacy whatsoever but I have volunteered in many leadership roles at my university and local hospital for two years, a member of the AAPS, and I work at the Canadian Light Source which I think might’ve helped in my application.

Interview: Really good! I was very prepared for the interview and honestly surprised at how easy the questions were compared to the U of S interviews.

hello guys I want to know if is it true that the profession of pharmacist will die in few years, I see that many pharmacists come from outside of Canada (specially middle east and europe) , and it's easy for them to practice, it's not like Doctors that's is very tough) so that's cause a saturation, and the salary decrease ... like it's happening now in USA...plus, the gouvernement does not stop to cut in the salary of pharmacist owner...

what'S do you think?

Hey! Just received admission earlier today :)

I applied with a GPA of 3.87 from the U of A (I've already completed my BSc). LOI was strong IMO while my interview went so-so (for some perspective, I didn't think I did particularly well on it).

Anyway, super stoked for the fall and to meet all of you!

10 hours ago, MrMister said:

hello guys I want to know if is it true that the profession of pharmacist will die in few years, I see that many pharmacists come from outside of Canada (specially middle east and europe) , and it's easy for them to practice, it's not like Doctors that's is very tough) so that's cause a saturation, and the salary decrease ... like it's happening now in USA...plus, the gouvernement does not stop to cut in the salary of pharmacist owner...

what'S do you think?

It’s always been a looming thought in our minds. I’ve talked to many pharmacists in my couple years of volunteering and working and the general consensus is that we are getting more and more responsibilities with less and less pay. The market is becoming saturated as does almost every job. As the baby boomer population starts to retire we may see an increase in jobs and increase in demand/patient base. 

Additionally, the role of a pharmacist continues to change more and more and with it pharm techs will be replacing some clerical roles of a pharmacists. Depending on how this translates to our changing roles and demand and need for our position will continue to create unease. 

We will see with time how our role changes.