Premed 101 Forums

Are all Bachelor of Science Degrees Equal?

Hello people of the forum!

I was just curious to know if all Bachelor of Science degrees are viewed as equal by medical schools. I'm in Medical Science but, wouldn't say it really interest me that much as its mostly pure sciences. I've been browsing other programs and whether its marine biology, pharmacology, or enviormental science, they all seem to fall under "bachelor of science". Does that inheritly mean these degrees are basically the same? Alternatively from a (HIGH GPA) perspective, if they are all the same why would anyone pick MedSci over something easier like enviormental science? Love to get your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Victor

All BSc will be viewed equal. People choose their program according to their interest, GPA considerations, and ease of scheduling in pre-reqs or relevant courses. Sure med schools are phasing out pre-reqs and will teach you everything you need to know, but you can't ignore that it makes the med curriculum slightly easier if you've been exposed to those topics before

On 2/7/2019 at 10:08 PM, Eudaimonia said:

All BSc will be viewed equal. People choose their program according to their interest, GPA considerations, and ease of scheduling in pre-reqs or relevant courses. Sure med schools are phasing out pre-reqs and will teach you everything you need to know, but you can't ignore that it makes the med curriculum slightly easier if you've been exposed to those topics before

I've already been through most of the basics of BioMed (Calculus, Chemistry, Physics) and most of the hard stuff that will prepare me for the MCAT in my first 2 years. My question would be, if I transfer to let's say environemntal science for an easier ride for the last 2 years...will I regret moving to a less "prestigious" program? I might be a little ignorant but environemntal science seems like the kind of program you go into because you don't have stellar marks in high school. Will medical school look down on that? Surely they can't say a BioMedical science graduate will have the same skillset as someone in environmental science (which to me is kind of like pursuing the easiest possible science related program). Love to hear your thoughs, I might want to make a change in my program as my semester is ending and the next two years seem veryyy boring (not as many electives in BioMed where I am so a lot more pure sciences and mathematics).

Cheers,

Victor

BSc = BA = BComm in Canada. Not a single cares or prefers a certain degree. Exception is McGill that gives points for academic context -but all BSc will be equal in regard, only professional degrees will give you a boost. 

There is simply too much inconsistency between programs. Biology at Toronto is probably much harder than biomed at York. How could schools differentiate?

Do what you want to do and are interested in.

17 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

I've already been through most of the basics of BioMed (Calculus, Chemistry, Physics) and most of the hard stuff that will prepare me for the MCAT in my first 2 years. My question would be, if I transfer to let's say environemntal science for an easier ride for the last 2 years...will I regret moving to a less "prestigious" program? I might be a little ignorant but environemntal science seems like the kind of program you go into because you don't have stellar marks in high school. Will medical school look down on that? Surely they can't say a BioMedical science graduate will have the same skillset as someone in environmental science (which to me is kind of like pursuing the easiest possible science related program). Love to hear your thoughs, I might want to make a change in my program as my semester is ending and the next two years seem veryyy boring (not as many electives in BioMed where I am so a lot more pure sciences and mathematics).

Cheers,

Victor

people get into medical school with all sorts of degrees and majors/minors etc.  So long as you meet pre-requesites, GPA and MCAT cut offs, it doesn't matter what you take.

1 hour ago, LloydRedStan said:

BSc = BA = BComm in Canada. Not a single cares or prefers a certain degree. Exception is McGill that gives points for academic context -but all BSc will be equal in regard, only professional degrees will give you a boost. 

There is simply too much inconsistency between programs. Biology at Toronto is probably much harder than biomed at York. How could schools differentiate?

Do what you want to do and are interested in.

What would you consider a proffesional degree? Sometimes that is employable or getting a Masters?

Why did you pick Biomed ?    You probably figured in high school it was an appropriate path to Medicine. Logically you took the science courses that can help with MCAT.    Many undergrad planning for Medicine think the same way.   It can be a good path to medicine,  but it is not a requirement.  Our class had people from every discipline.

Undergrad "Prestige" is a fallacy for Canadian Med school interviews.  Uniquely Mac Healthsci does have a focused program that can be helpful for interviews - but you can't really transfer into it.

You have been on the forum long enough to know that undergrad GPA is most important for Med School interviews  (along with MCAT,  EC's,  Casper).

Switching mid-program might hurt you more than it can help.  Would you need to go back and recover some pre-requisites.  Would your timetable be workable to do that .  Would it require overloading  or a 5th year ?   Would you lose all your existing study partners ? Why do you think you could do better GPA-wise in a different program ?

If you are already achieving a +3.9 GPA keep going in your program.  If you are below 3.7 GPA you need to figure out how to get +3.9 for year 3 & 4.

5 hours ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Cheers,

Victor

No, no one makes assumptions like that. Reviewers go through many applications from people with all different life stories and backgrounds. It is impossible to make value judgments like that. The reality of med school admissions isn't comparing you vs your clone who majored in biomed instead of environmental sci. It's comparing a 27 y/o from Guelph with a PhD, 3 pubs, 7 volunteer activities, 3 leadership activities with good essays against a 21 y/o from Western in 3rd yr of BMSc, 0 pubs, a few major awards, 2 volunteer activities, 1 leadership activities and good essays. How do you even rate these people against each other? If you start to delve into intentions you will never escape that cave. 

As far as I can see, there is no such thing as prestige in Canada universities. Your reviewers are likely so far removed from undergrad, that they don't remember anything about undergrad or their perceptions may be outdated. The kind of things that everyone at Ryerson knows about that one bird course, no one who is reviewing med apps knows. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, Meridian said:

Why did you pick Biomed ?    You probably figured in high school it was an appropriate path to Medicine. Logically you took the science courses that can help with MCAT.    Many undergrad planning for Medicine think the same way.   It can be a good path to medicine,  but it is not a requirement.  Our class had people from every discipline.

Undergrad "Prestige" is a fallacy for Canadian Med school interviews.  Uniquely Mac Healthsci does have a focused program that can be helpful for interviews - but you can't really transfer into it.

You have been on the forum long enough to know that undergrad GPA is most important for Med School interviews  (along with MCAT,  EC's,  Casper).

Switching mid-program might hurt you more than it can help.  Would you need to go back and recover some pre-requisites.  Would your timetable be workable to do that .  Would it require overloading  or a 5th year ?   Would you lose all your existing study partners ? Why do you think you could do better GPA-wise in a different program ?

If you are already achieving a +3.9 GPA keep going in your program.  If you are below 3.7 GPA you need to figure out how to get +3.9 for year 3 & 4.

Thanks for the input. I'll definetly lose some study partners but since I'll be staying a the same school I can still hang out with them.  My current GPA is a 3.8 but I don't find it any easier per se, I would just be way more interested in something else than 2 more years of lab work and organic chemistry. The downside is that I'm throwing away a "BioMedical" Degree for something that sounds less cool and impressive :lol:

2 hours ago, Edict said:

No, no one makes assumptions like that. Reviewers go through many applications from people with all different life stories and backgrounds. It is impossible to make value judgments like that. The reality of med school admissions isn't comparing you vs your clone who majored in biomed instead of environmental sci. It's comparing a 27 y/o from Guelph with a PhD, 3 pubs, 7 volunteer activities, 3 leadership activities with good essays against a 21 y/o from Western in 3rd yr of BMSc, 0 pubs, a few major awards, 2 volunteer activities, 1 leadership activities and good essays. How do you even rate these people against each other? If you start to delve into intentions you will never escape that cave. 

As far as I can see, there is no such thing as prestige in Canada universities. Your reviewers are likely so far removed from undergrad, that they don't remember anything about undergrad or their perceptions may be outdated. The kind of things that everyone at Ryerson knows about that one bird course, no one who is reviewing med apps knows. 

I'd say thats a fair point. I have so many classmates who also want to go to Med school (suprise suprise) and I feel that going into something like Agriculture and Farming would make me stick out from the general applicant stream. I just don't know if this is a good kind of sticking out or not haha. I've always thought BioMed is the safer route but I think I'd be more interested in another program as physical sciences and lab work is getting really damn boring and repetitive. I've always been ignorant but I think BioMed or Medical science sounds a little cooler and "impressive" than some other programs lol.

2 hours ago, VictorLin0725 said:

I'd say thats a fair point. I have so many classmates who also want to go to Med school (suprise suprise) and I feel that going into something like Agriculture and Farming would make me stick out from the general applicant stream. I just don't know if this is a good kind of sticking out or not haha. I've always thought BioMed is the safer route but I think I'd be more interested in another program as physical sciences and lab work is getting really damn boring and repetitive. I've always been ignorant but I think BioMed or Medical science sounds a little cooler and "impressive" than some other programs lol.

Eh, “cool” is purely perspective. Outside of the world of med school applicants, people have all kinds of interests. And within most Med schools people are a lot more diverse than you realize.

Agriculture is pretty freaking important to society — anyone who can’t appreciate how an agriculture degree could be cool has never thought about where their food comes from! Biomedical technology wouldnt do anyone any good if we all were to starve to death from a lack of food sources ;)

3 hours ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Do it if you are interested in it, don't do it because it sounds cooler. Of course, keep in mind job prospects and alternative paths. Doing a BMSc degree might not be the smartest if you don't like lab work since thats what it often leads to if you don't get into professional school. 

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Eh, “cool” is purely perspective. Outside of the world of med school applicants, people have all kinds of interests. And within most Med schools people are a lot more diverse than you realize.

Agriculture is pretty freaking important to society — anyone who can’t appreciate how an agriculture degree could be cool has never thought about where their food comes from! Biomedical technology wouldnt do anyone any good if we all were to starve to death from a lack of food sources ;)

Thanks, I think I have my answer then. I've had enough of math. If Med school drops thorugh maybe I'll just open up a farm haha

On 2/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, VictorLin0725 said:

If Med school drops thorugh maybe I'll just open up a farm haha

Oddly enough, I was just going to (half-jokingly) suggest that to you in your DVM thread.    If the whole "professional school" thing doesn't work out for you, based on you stated interests it might not be a terrible fall-back plan for you to find somebody to work for for a few years, save up some cash and then try running some livestock of your own.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, ploughboy said:

Oddly enough, I was just going to (half-jokingly) suggest that to you in your DVM thread.    If the whole "professional school" thing doesn't work out for you, based on you stated interests it might not be a terrible fall-back plan for you to find somebody to work for for a few years, save up some cash and then try running some livestock of your own.

I've always had the love for anatomy, health, and science but just not as much for people haha.

Archived