Premed 101 Forums

3.60 wGPA, should I bother applying

Contemplating on if I should even apply to Queen's next year with a 3.60 wGPA (Bachelor's) or apply after a Master's/2nd bachelor's. I really don't want to waste money applying if its futile...

I can't use my cGPA bc its a 3.0 (lol). 

My MCAT scores are in the 97th percentile and I have diverse and long-term ECs.

Thanks for your input. 

6 hours ago, connect4 said:

Contemplating on if I should even apply to Queen's next year with a 3.60 wGPA (Bachelor's) or apply after a Master's/2nd bachelor's. I really don't want to waste money applying if its futile...

I can't use my cGPA bc its a 3.0 (lol). 

My MCAT scores are in the 97th percentile and I have diverse and long-term ECs.

Thanks for your input. 

GPA is too low. Don't bother applying. With that GPA they'll only look at you if you've got a Master's and 3.6 may still be too low. Regarding salvaging the low GPA, a Master's won't do anything for you in Ontario. If you're from another province you could get an acceptance in your home province depending on which it is but not in Ontario. Honestly, your best bet is a 2nd undergrad.

3.60 wGPA will likely get you automatically screened out by their computer system, so your ECs won't matter because they won't ever read it. Like Neurophilic said, a Masters won't help you that much here because your wGPA is too low. Your best bet would be to do a fifth year if your fourth year GPA is high, or a second undergrad if your GPA over all four years is all around the 3.60 mark.

2 hours ago, QueenStan said:

Despite what others have said there are those who get in with 3.6 GPA depending on MCAT / story / reference letters. If you have the money there's no harm in applying this year. Just temper your expectations and work on your GPA next year (undergrad, no masters)

There is a hard minimum GPA cut-off at Queen's, which is done automatically by the computer system. If you don't meet that hard minimum, no MCAT/story/reference letter/affirmative action will give you a chance at receiving an interview.

18 hours ago, xiphoid said:

There is a hard minimum GPA cut-off at Queen's, which is done automatically by the computer system. If you don't meet that hard minimum, no MCAT/story/reference letter/affirmative action will give you a chance at receiving an interview.

You're welcome to discuss with our classmates, both in our year and above, who made in with a 3.6X GPA and a high MCAT/etc. The cutoff varies year to year and no one knows what it will be. If you have the money to spend on another application there's literally no harm in it, unlike in the states where being a re-applicant is a negative.

20 minutes ago, QueenStan said:

You're welcome to discuss with our classmates, both in our year and above, who made in with a 3.6X GPA and a high MCAT/etc. The cutoff varies year to year and no one knows what it will be. If you have the money to spend on another application there's literally no harm in it, unlike in the states where being a re-applicant is a negative.

17 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Graduate students or nah? Cus we know they have some wiggle room for that.

Like IMislove mentioned, there is wiggle room in the GPA for grad students, which OP is not.

1 hour ago, QueenStan said:

They were not graduate students.

Interesting. Makes me think they were perhaps indigenous applicants (there is no hard cut-off for those applying through the indigenous application process, and Queen's will consider all applicants including those with a GPA below 3.0 and a MCAT below 120/section, which is a definite automatic rejection for all other applicants). That or, unless you yourself got in with a 3.60 GPA, undergrad and no grad school, people have a tendency to exaggerate the truth a little. The only people I know in our class who were accepted with no grad school and a GPA below 3.7 applied as indigenous applicants.

I got in today and my year 2yr GPA was probably lower than 3.6. I think it was 2.95 sem 1, 3.7 sem2 for one year, 3.9 and 3.8 for the other. This is on the queens 4.3 scale, so take that for what it's worth. I did a master's afterwards though and i'm quite a nontraditional applicant, so I don't know that i'ma  great person to go off of

18 hours ago, arghh said:

I got in today and my year 2yr GPA was probably lower than 3.6. I think it was 2.95 sem 1, 3.7 sem2 for one year, 3.9 and 3.8 for the other. This is on the queens 4.3 scale, so take that for what it's worth. I did a master's afterwards though and i'm quite a nontraditional applicant, so I don't know that i'ma  great person to go off of

Isn't queen's scale this: https://www.queensu.ca/history/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.histwww/files/files/undergraduate/courseinfo/gradingscheme/QueenOfficialGradeConversionScale.pdf

by which then 3.8/3.9 dont exist. You either get a 4 or a 3.7. and  a 4 (85-89 or A), is 3.9 for OMSAS. Just curious where you got your conversions is all. Always use what OMSAS says, as it should already be converted in the grade input. Oh actually you peeps didn't need to input grades this year right? Does it still show on OMSAS or no?

edit: ah yes, the scale is per course, just like OMSAS, hence the mid range GPAs being made that way. Also you’re a graduate applicant, so you luckily got that wiggle room.

My GPA for those semesters was a 3.8 or a 3.9. As in the average of my grades. Whether a 3.8 or a 3.9 exists or not is irrelevant. I was also going on the Queen's scale, which is to say those GPAs that I listed are on a 4.3 scale, so for example 3.8/4.3 or 3.9/4.3 or 2.95/4.3.

I don't know what it is on the omsas scale because i can't be bothered to calculate it but it is lower because my course weightings are very different than normal.