Premed 101 Forums

Hey all!

I am heading into clerkship in August and I know MCCQE is far away, but I'm considering buying the UWorld Qbank 2 year option and was hoping to have access to it up until MCCQE. 

When do most people take this?  If July/August is the most common/ most convenient time (assume I know nothing about this exam because I really don't!) I would buy it starting clerkship to ensure access for 2 full years.

Thanks!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, MarsRover said:

Most people write the exam after 4th year. Sometime in April/May 2021 for you. Alternatively there is now the option to write it at the end of third year. In July. 

What ressources do most people use to study for it?

A part from UWorld and Toronto notes.

Wish I could help. That is all I used to be honest. 

I just used toronto note to prep for my blocks, and read uptodate around cases. Just doing clinic makes you quite familiar with the type questions you will get. Then a few months before I started to read peds, obs/gyn, psych, gen surg quite a few times. Then health ethics once, and family med a few times and once right before the exam. 

Don't bother with internal med, you will learn enough in clerkship. For the LMCC it is like 13 chapters to cover 1/6 of the exam. As peds, obsgyn, psych, surgery, internal, and ethics all get 1/6.  Family med chapter of toronto notes is a good review of internal med type stuff you see on the LMCC as its initial work up of a lot of stuff and guidelines. 

Uworld questions are much harder than the LMCC - however, I think it is good learning. plus there are days you just can't bring yourself to read torontonotes but its good for forcing you to think and learn. Again closer to the exam I just made my tests peds, obs, psych, surgery. To maximize my yield. Don't let your uworld scores get you down - especially in internal. 

Overall though I felt like the LMCC is something that draws more from experience you gain during clerkship and clinical intuition. Plus asking you more the level of end of med school questions - what should a day one R1 know. Which is why many people can pass it with minimum studying. It seems to focus on if you know initial work ups, and med student level diagnostics and guidelines. 

On the other hand Uworld, NBMEs, USMLE, these all seem to demand more specific diagnostic knowledge from you. Here is the clinical description of the case, what exactly does this person have wrong with them type questions. If you plan to write the usmle I would definitely try to do much more uworld than torontonotes and maybe even look into usmle specific studying recommendations.