Premed 101 Forums

for those who got there scores back today, does anyone know what the minimum standardized value was to get an interview?

6 hours ago, RiderSx said:

I went from 90th percentile in 2 sections to 50th and I barely changed the entries. And I'm sure this cannot be fully due to a more competitive applicant pool (going from 90th to 50th is a huge drop that would require 100s of applicants being evaluated higher). Goes to show how subjective this process is.

Tell me about it, dropped 40 points in Leadership, unbelievable considering that 6-7 of my top 10 are leadership focussed. 

First time applicant, mature student. Knew going in my academics were not that strong (3.6 GPA and 125 CARS) but myself, and frankly several MDs & med students helping me with my application, felt the rest of my application was very strong. I also come from an atypical background as a Geologist. Given all those things I thought I would stand out a bit more. And yet, I got completely obliterated R1-R7. Like it's almost laughable that it seems like something went wrong.

Given how subjective the scores seem to be, I might as well just apply again with the same/similar application. There is a new scoring system this year where two committees are now scoring the application, one academic and one for everything else where your academic scores will be excluded/hidden.

2 hours ago, hiking_guy said:

First time applicant, mature student. Knew going in my academics were not that strong (3.6 GPA and 125 CARS) but myself, and frankly several MDs & med students helping me with my application, felt the rest of my application was very strong. I also come from an atypical background as a Geologist. Given all those things I thought I would stand out a bit more. And yet, I got completely obliterated R1-R7. Like it's almost laughable that it seems like something went wrong.

Given how subjective the scores seem to be, I might as well just apply again with the same/similar application. There is a new scoring system this year where two committees are now scoring the application, one academic and one for everything else where your academic scores will be excluded/hidden.

I think the new scoring system might disepel some subjectivity as the non-academic reviewers will not be subconsciously biased by the academic metrics. 

It's best that we keep our heads up and continue applying. This process is subjective, and there is not much we can do. Believe in yourself, if not the system! 

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a perfect system and it definitely has quirks from year to year. 

As a personal example (albeit from about a decade ago), I went one year from being interviewed and waitlisted to the next year getting such low scores that I did not meet the interview cut off. The next year I not only got interviewed but also admitted.

i did not do anything significantly different from year to year in terms of my activities/awards/academics/employment except continue growth in the main areas I was working and volunteering in. I tweaked my write ups year to year in hopes that it helped my application. 

The score is not the be all and end all, use it as a guide for but not THE only key for improvement. 

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, medhopeful145 said:

Can anyone help me figure out where I can find my scores from last years application? I can't find it and think I am looking in the wrong place. 

In UCAN find the "App Status" tab. At the bottom it will say "Application Scores." The default will be the 2020 cycle. Toggle to the 2019 cycle and the scores should appear at the bottom of the page. Good Luck!