Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Interview 6/8 essays?

• 2 months later...

I have a feeling that the only way to maximize your score is to write all 8 essays. In that sense they are not really 'optional'. Here is a direct quote from their website: "A minimum of four (one experience per core value) and a maximum of eight life experiences will be considered. Providing a minimum of only four experiences will not make your application competitive.". 

I do wish they had been clearer on the omsas portal. I made the decision to focus on 4 experiences/essays and continually revising them to focus on quality over quantity. I only realized that they point-blank state 4 essays would not be competitive after the deadline had passed 

Some applicants even interpreted the aABS requirements and assessment criteria ("Applicants who meet the GPA and MCAT minimums will proceed to a non-academic assessment consisting of review of information attainable through the Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch and Confidential Assessment Forms.") that they might not  even consider your" OMSAS ABS" at all when judging your ECs, but only your essay entries. So it is possible that doing anything less than 8 will hurt the scope of description of your sketch.

But there's little point being anxious now. Just believe you have done all you can for this cycle and hope for the best.:lol:

On 1/25/2020 at 4:28 PM, Fingerxcrossed said:

I have a feeling that the only way to maximize your score is to write all 8 essays. In that sense they are not really 'optional'. Here is a direct quote from their website: "A minimum of four (one experience per core value) and a maximum of eight life experiences will be considered. Providing a minimum of only four experiences will not make your application competitive.". 

I do wish they had been clearer on the omsas portal. I made the decision to focus on 4 experiences/essays and continually revising them to focus on quality over quantity. I only realized that they point-blank state 4 essays would not be competitive after the deadline had passed 

-

3 hours ago, DrOtter said:

Some applicants even interpreted the aABS requirements and assessment criteria ("Applicants who meet the GPA and MCAT minimums will proceed to a non-academic assessment consisting of review of information attainable through the Abbreviated Autobiographical Sketch and Confidential Assessment Forms.") that they might not  even consider your" OMSAS ABS" at all when judging your ECs, but only your essay entries. So it is possible that doing anything less than 8 will hurt the scope of description of your sketch.

But there's little point being anxious now. Just believe you have done all you can for this cycle and hope for the best.:lol:

seriously. between Mac, UofT, and Western having their own E/C entries, what's the point of filling out a massive ABS in the first place?