Premed 101 Forums

chances of getting interview?

Hello all, I am going to apply for med school in 2020 for the 2021 entry and would like your honest opinion on the chance of me getting the interview. I know it is very difficult to judge and NAQ section is highly subjective. But I would still like to hear from you and if you could give some feedback on how I can improve that'd be great. Thank you for your time in advance.

AGPA: ~89.5%

MCAT: havent' taken yet, in preparation, lets assume it meets cutoff

Degree: BSc and MSc (both from UBC)

NAQ: this is where I am worried about as I don't have extensive volunteering experience as most of candidates do (I am research heavy). No club leadership. So any advice here would be great.

- Was in a undergrad club (iGEM) for more than half a year, designed and performed experiments, participated in international competition

- three months directed studies in a research lab

- Spent a month in China rural area teaching elementary school students

- ~200 hours volunteering at hospital thrift store to collect funds for medical equipment

- ~200 hours volunteering at a crisis line as a phone responder

Employment:

- 3 months coop in McGill University in a microbiology lab as research assistant

- 8 months coop in UBC neuroscience lab as research assistant

- 9 months full-time research technician in UBC lab

- 1 year full-time research associate in a nanomedicine company leading multiple projects

Publication and presentation:

- 1 first-author paper, 1 second-author paper, several co-author paper

- 1 national and 1 international poster presentation

Scholarship:

- many, no super big one but decent

and some hobbies like piano

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Seek out employment, volunteering, and continue to spend time on pursuits that you are passionate about and enjoy. Your research background is all ready strong, so you can become more well rounded by expanding your experience in other areas.

It sort of looks like you’re done your MSc and now looking for work? Or do you have more school to do?

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to specifically seek out volunteer work with vulnerable populations. In fact, I think sometimes this can backfire, especially when it’s work that ends up being of a minimal commitment because it’s something that’s not really your cup of tea, because it can really give the impression that you’re only doing it to get into Med school.

Any volunteering you do that gets you involved with the community is a positive. The most important thing is to find stuff to do that you feel good about doing, and can see yourself doing often and for the long term. Things you would want to do even if you weren’t trying to get into Med school. I.e. try to find ways to get excited about and become a major and non-selfish contributor to society. And find pursuits where you’re actually able to take on increasing responsibility, and aren’t just another pair of hands showing up for the day. this is what UBC actually cares about. That might be working with people with disabilities. But it could also be weekend outdoors clubs, or mentoring people in your field, or assisting with sports, or at your church/religious organization, in the arts or in theatre, etc. etc. etc. And don’t discount the ways in which you can do this through employment.

Edited by frenchpress

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to specifically seek out volunteer work with vulnerable populations.

Below is snippet from the UBC Medicine's help guide, and there are other places where they specifically state that they value meaningful commitments in areas with populations that are not like yourself. You need to target this area if you want a higher NAQ score, period.

Capacity to Work with Others (5 entries allowed): This category recognizes applicants’ abilities to work with groups which take them beyond their peers, friends, school and co-workers.Consideration is given to an applicant’s experience and knowledge gained from working with groups and individuals including, but not limited to, customer service teams, diverse age groups, cultures different from one’s own (immersion), socio-economic backgrounds other than one’s own, individuals with physical,cognitive or developmental disabilities, sexual orientations, etc.

I'd say you have a chance! As you say, NAQ is super subjective, but by my guesstimation you're ballpark where you need to be.

Vulnerable populations in particular isn't required. The relevant part of that snippet is "Beyond their peers, friends, school, and co-workers".  Crisis line and rural Chinese elementary students both seem to fit the bill. Definitely worth applying - worst case you get rejected and get your official scores!

1 hour ago, Condude said:

Vulnerable populations in particular isn't required. The relevant part of that snippet is "Beyond their peers, friends, school, and co-workers".  Crisis line and rural Chinese elementary students both seem to fit the bill. Definitely worth applying - worst case you get rejected and get your official scores!

Yes exactly. It’s not so much about picking some token group to get experience with as it is honestly trying to get experience beyond one’s self and one’s usual comfort zone. I think it’s important to be aware of the trap of categorizing any group that might be ‘other’ to someone as synonymous with vulnerable populations.

Edited by frenchpress

I agree with the posts above, it sounds like your NAQ material is stronger than you think...although it's always hard to judge as it is truly subjective. I would just focus on your MCAT and give it what you have. Whatever time you have available, you can consider joining the different activities suggested by others above but in the end it's really what you enjoy...that's what will tell your personal story that you will be narrating in your med school application.

All the best!