Premed 101 Forums

IMG looking to practice medicine in Canada

Hello everyone! I am a Mexican physician whom was recently given his license, and was wondering how difficult it is to join the medical workforce in Canada. I have seen some information about different exams which I have to pass, but I also have many questions regarding the providence sponsorship program.

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

I can only speak to recruitment to Alberta. There are multiple immigration routes available to physicians in Alberta, and as there is a shortage of physician resource supply, hundreds of IMG physicians are recruited into AB each year. Alberta Health Services- Alberta's one single provincial healthcare organization has an experienced and dedicated physician recruitment team with expertise in Immigration and Licensure.  

1. Apply for a physician position at drjobsalberta.ca for Alberta's provincial healthcare organization- Alberta Health Services (AHS). If you are the successful candidate, in order to support Canadian or permanent residents to apply the position must legally be posted for 30 days. If there are no Canadian/Permanent Resident candidates that are suitable for the position within that 30 days, it indicates that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the position. 

2. AHS submits a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA- AHS pays the $1K cost). Alberta has a priority stream for healthcare workers and LMIA's are processed in 10 days. 

3. Positive or approved LMIA's are valid for 18 months to allow for you to apply for a 5 year work permit or permanent residency within that time. At the port of entry/Canada border (wherever you cross into Canada) you apply for your 18 month work permit there using the positive LMIA, fully signed AHS employment contract, and a completed online application (Guide 5487- Applying for a work permit outside Canada). The port of entry officer will assess the application and issue the permit on the spot. 

Citizenship options available are: 

Stream Option 1: AB Nomination under Opportunity Stream 

1. Apply under the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) that nominates people for permanent residence in Alberta. 

1. If applying under the Alberta Opportunity Stream, it is for TFWs already working in Alberta or who have a job offer for AB. Non-Express Entry point based but longer processing time. 

i.      Must have valid temporary resident status in Canada at time of application i.e. temporary work permit granted through above process. 

ii.      Must work in an eligible occupation (you do). 

iii.      Must meet language requirements. 

iv.      Must have licensure if regulated. 

v.      At the time of application you must have a minimum of 12 months of full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months. 

1. Apply online through the AAIP Portal Alberta Opportunity Stream – How to apply | Alberta.ca ($500) 

1. Once approved through AAIP, you will now need to apply within 6 months for permanent residency to Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Alberta Opportunity Stream – After you are nominated | Alberta.ca ($1,365) 

1. Note: AHS can extend your LMIA and you can get your work permit extended to through a Bridging Work Permit while you complete the application and if it’s coming near the expiry. Bridging open work permit for permanent residence applicants - Canada.ca 

i.      As of this month provincial nominee processing time is 11 months. 

Stream Option 2: AB Nomination under Alberta Express Entry (EE) Steam (Typically 6 month process) Alberta Express Entry Stream | Alberta.ca ($1,365) 

1. To apply under this stream, must first create a Federal Express Entry Profile. 

1. AAIP will receive notification of your application (based upon you working in AB) and will review your application and invite you to apply through AAIP EE stream 

1. This is where AHS has contacts with Service Canada and can give them a head’s up on your application and perhaps request quicker processing. Check processing times - Canada.ca 

1. Having a provincial nomination is the strongest factor for successfully obtaining permanent residency through the Express Entry process. 

1. After you are nominated, you have 30 days to accept the nomination in your online federal EE profile.  

After accepting, Immigration Canada will send you an invitation to apply for EE.  Apply for permanent residence: Express Entry - Canada.ca and then follow their steps to finalize. 

Physicians who completed their residency in USA also have an accelerated route to licensure in Alberta through the College of Family Physicians & Surgeons (CPSA). I recommend going onto CPSA: Apply for Independent Practice - College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta | CPSA or physicianapply.ca and it will detail the requirements to be eligible for licensure (LMCC, TDM, etc.)

Hope this helps you maybe consider AB :)