Premed 101 Forums

failed elective

I_Quit_JK

I have currently started my first year in university and failed an elective unrelated to my degree. As for my other grades such as physiology, chem, etc I have a 4.0 in them (as of rn, just submitted my exams) . I had a 90 throughout that elective as well but certain situations in my household came leading me to fail the exam and ultimately the course. I know this mark does not define me as a student and is certainly an anomaly in my transcript and if I were to take the class again, I would most definitely get a 4.0. Im just wondering are my chances realistically gone for medical school in Ontario? What should I do to increase them? Also, I've done my research on every medical in the summer and I took note of UofT's weighted GPA. Since I failed my course would I not be considered for it anymore (I had a full course load)? Can I still take my 5 classes next semester and still be counted for that weighted GPA? Or am i supposed to take my failed course next semester (6 classes in winter sem then) and then I will be counted for it?

I know my strengths and weaknesses in academics and I know this failure would not translate to my other classes. Any advice would do. Thank you!

Sorry to hear that. One F in first year doesn't end your medical school chances. 

This stands out though:

1 hour ago, forgotten_bot said:

I had a 90 throughout that elective as well but certain situations in my household came leading me to fail the exam and ultimately the course.

Go read your school's academic calendar and contact your students' union/academic advisor/department chair/head to see if you can get some sort of remedy that doesn't involve an F. If you can provide proof that the exam failure was caused by an external factor you may be able to petition to write another final, have it converted to a W, aegroget standing, etc. There's no way of knowing until you look into it. At the very least it's worth trying, if you roll into a final with a 90 and something external caused a failure. 

2 hours ago, forgotten_bot said:

I have currently started my first year in university and failed an elective unrelated to my degree. As for my other grades such as physiology, chem, etc I have a 4.0 in them (as of rn, just submitted my exams) . I had a 90 throughout that elective as well but certain situations in my household came leading me to fail the exam and ultimately the course. I know this mark does not define me as a student and is certainly an anomaly in my transcript and if I were to take the class again, I would most definitely get a 4.0. Im just wondering are my chances realistically gone for medical school in Ontario? What should I do to increase them? Also, I've done my research on every medical in the summer and I took note of UofT's weighted GPA. Since I failed my course would I not be considered for it anymore (I had a full course load)? Can I still take my 5 classes next semester and still be counted for that weighted GPA? Or am i supposed to take my failed course next semester (6 classes in winter sem then) and then I will be counted for it?

I know my strengths and weaknesses in academics and I know this failure would not translate to my other classes. Any advice would do. Thank you!

deep breath time - sucks but survivable.

U of Ts formula would still apply - you just have to take 5.0 credits each year for that (doesn't say you have to pass all 5.0) . For U of T in the end that course could be removed if you recover and stay on track. 

Full course load is probably too vague for U of T I should mention - 5.0 credits matters. They would actually could as full course load less than that but you want to use the wGPA system so 5.0 it is 

Other places have options too - Western's best two years, and Queens last two spring to mind. 

You definitely shouldn't take the fail course as one of the 5.0 credits (so basically do it in the summer or sure at do it as a 6th course, or perhaps do another elective - whatever to not have repeat course in the way). 

So yes this hurts - and if there was some serious stuff going on you should talk to your advisor and see if even they can do something. Often they can - particularly if it is clear there is a strange aberration going on.  

This stuff is annoying for sure. No such thing as an elective in med school applications - all courses are related to the degree I suppose. 

Stay on track, and don't let anything else pop up! 

Edited by rmorelan