Premed 101 Forums

Course-based Master's while applying to UBC Med?

Hello hello hello!

Haven't been about in a while because I'm exploring different career options other than applying to med school. One thing I'm looking at rn is a course-based Master's (specifically, a Master's in Counselling - something employable/applied/non-academia/in industry, not a research Master's).

The program I'm looking at is 2 years long (if done on a full-time basis; part time option could be up to 4 years). Does this mean that if I were to start this program in Sept 2021, I cannot apply to UBC med? They say on their website that graduate students have to submit proof of graduation by July 30th of the year in which they're going to start (so if I applied and was accepted for next cycle, that would be July 30th 2022). Starting Sept 2021 would mean it's impossible for me to actually be done and graduate by July 2022.

Is it not possible to just withdraw myself from the program halfway through and accept my med offer letter in this scenario? Or do I 100% have to actually be done my graduate degree (even if it's course-based and has no adverse implications for the research being performed in a specific lab/by a certain prof...)?

Anyone with any anecdotes on this? I emailed UBC MD admissions as well, but it's been over a month and they haven't gotten back to me.

Thanks!

Pretty sure that the rule applies to all graduate programs. UBC seems to be of the mindset that they don’t want people starting commitments and taking spots in programs that they don’t intend to finish. From the website, (https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/graduate-students/ ):

All degree requirements, including successful defense and submission of approved thesis in final form and acceptance by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, must be completed by this deadline. Graduate students in non-thesis based programs must complete all required courses, projects, exams, practica, etc. and have all grades submitted on an official transcript by July 30.

Edited by frenchpress

I emailed them about this last year. Here was their response:

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, our graduate student policy applies to both course-based and research-based graduate programs. You would need to either withdraw from the program before applying to our program, or you would have to apply in the second year provided that proof of completion would be received by July 30 in the year of entry into medical school.

I was able to finish a 2 year course-based masters in 1 year and not miss any applications cycles. My top secret trick was to take as many "open study" classes as I could during the first year, make sure I liked the program and that I would get a job at the end of it. The following year I took 45 credits September-July 30th and was able to get the golden proof of completion letter in time. It was really really tight and stressful at the end, but it did work out. 

I doubt they have open studies classes for counselling but some other programs might! Good luck!