Premed 101 Forums

Would schools tell you if you have been red-flagged or blacklisted?

Hi all, I am just wondering if schools will tell you if you have been blacklisted or placed a note on your file? Long story short, I wanted to breakup with my then gf a few months ago. However, she threatened me that if break up with her, she will badmouth me to the med admission (my ex is also a premed) and said she has screenshots or "evidence" of my bad behavior, such as my "conservative" political views, among many other things (dumb drunk text I sent her, etc). In other words, she is trying to cancel me. Of course, this only worsened the situation and I ended things with her promptly. Now that I got a few rejections, I am wondering if this has something to do with it. Is there a way to find out if I was rejected due to this kind of stuff?? Is there a way to find out? My mental health has been deteriorating I have gotten even more anxious and stressful recently from thinking about this. I know this post is ripe for some of you to roast, but please help me if you know anything. Thank you. 

I’m so sorry for your situation. It sounds very stressful. The quickest way to get an answer is probably asking your ex directly. If she’s also premed, I think it would be risky of her to report you to med admissions because you could easily do the same to her for threatening you?  

Also, I don’t think “conservative political views” would warrant a rejection from med school. 

1 hour ago, rolandofgilead said:

we have blocked eachother and are no longer in contact, and I don't want to raise the point to her in the event that she will be reminded of it. I just want to know if there's a way you could know if a note has been placed on your file or not. 

It is not clear what you mean by "conservative" views. Is it a euphemism for tangentially sexist opinions or is it truly just some conservative opinion. I doubt the latter would affect your application. Even with the former, I still doubt it would do anything with your application. I don't think that the admission office would take any slander thrown at people at face value without doing some independent investigation. If you are being under independent investigations, you would know. 

1 hour ago, neurologist19 said:

It is not clear what you mean by "conservative" views. Is it a euphemism for tangentially sexist opinions or is it truly just some conservative opinion. I doubt the latter would affect your application. Even with the former, I still doubt it would do anything with your application. I don't think that the admission office would take any slander thrown at people at face value without doing some independent investigation. If you are being under independent investigations, you would know. 

Yeah as long as they notify me so I have a chance to explain I think I'll be good. I'm just afraid they'll throw my app for that reason without even telling me :(

21 hours ago, rolandofgilead said:

In other words, she is trying to cancel me.

If you have "conservative" views that read in one text message would cause a medical school not want to have anything to do with you, than that's on you bud. Sorry that people don't want to associate with people with terrible opinions.

To answer your question, if your girlfriend did reach out to the school, they may silently ignore it, they may silently reject you for your shitty opinions and/or drama, or they may reach out to you to let you know what's going on and either invite your comment.