Premed 101 Forums

Change in Target Date for Offers (Med-P)

bbpremed

15 minutes ago, sachamitchell said:

Any chance this means the MMIs are also going to be canceled (like the French schools)? 12 days seems crazy fast between interviews and decisions

I honestly don’t think so because uni applicants had virtual interviews and it went fine I think

2 hours ago, Médicomage said:

Also, McGill interview waaaaay less people than french uni so it's easier for them to hold virtual interviews. Sherbrooke only usually interviews like 800 cegep applicants.

The problem is for uni, its taking them 5 weeks to have the results back, its kind of hasty to make the same decision in 12 days for Med-p! I would check with the adcoms!

1 hour ago, veromedico said:

The problem is for uni, its taking them 5 weeks to have the results back, its kind of hasty to make the same decision in 12 days for Med-p! I would check with the adcoms!

That’s a fair point, but I still think it’s unlikely McGill’s cancelling Med-P interviews since a) They already conducted them for uni applicants and b) If they were going to, they would have announced it today with the French universities.

I’m guessing that they’re either planning on inviting less people for interviews this year (so less people to manage through), or adcom will be working overtime in those 12 days haha. 

Could the interviews cancellation announced today affect McGill’s decision-making process (MMIs score’s weight, target dates, etc.) regarding the university-applicant category for which the MMIs have already been conducted? Universities in Quebec indeed tend to follow specific admission protocols as a matter of standardisation. 

On 3/8/2021 at 7:39 PM, MedicA1 said:

Could the interviews cancellation announced today affect McGill’s decision-making process (MMIs score’s weight, target dates, etc.) regarding the university-applicant category for which the MMIs have already been conducted? Universities in Quebec indeed tend to follow specific admission protocols as a matter of standardisation. 

Honestly I see why the virtual interviews are being cancelled after reading the botched interviews from McMaster on **DELETED**. McGill MMI was done fairly well I think in retrospect compared to what I read for other schools in Canada and so I don't think they should be thrown out. But I nonetheless do see it happening with how crazy everything has been in the past year. 

32 minutes ago, Great_Wumbo said:

Honestly I see why the virtual interviews are being cancelled after reading the botched interviews from McMaster on **DELETED**. McGill MMI was done fairly well I think in retrospect compared to what I read for other schools in Canada and so I don't think they should be thrown out. But I nonetheless do see it happening with how crazy everything has been in the past year. 

I agree that McGill was done pretty well though the reduction in number of stations were not a good idea.

15 minutes ago, Kazem said:

It’s funny to see how a single university was able to provide MMI’s for admission without any collaboration and that 3 universities together did not have the capacities to find an alternative to the situation. Props to McGill honestly 

I’m willing to bet that they’ve already decided to cancel months ago, heck, perhaps even as far as last year, and simply never bothered to plan the MMIs to begin with (they had more important things to care about than organizing MMIs) — they just waited for the right moment to announce officially in order to not face much backlash.

2 hours ago, keipop said:

I’m willing to bet that they’ve already decided to cancel months ago, heck, perhaps even as far as last year, and simply never bothered to plan the MMIs to begin with (they had more important things to care about than organizing MMIs) — they just waited for the right moment to announce officially in order to not face much backlash.

Not sure tho because UdeM uploaded its MMI video months ago which means they really cared about interviews ; anyways no need to debate on that cancellation for weeks, wish you all luck for this admission term !!

I’d like to add that universities have special committees to take care of the admission process so there is no reason to focus on other issues since all of them are regulated by their own administration. 

8 hours ago, Kazem said:

Not sure tho because UdeM uploaded its MMI video months ago which means they really cared about interviews ; anyways no need to debate on that cancellation for weeks, wish you all luck for this admission term !!

I’d like to add that universities have special committees to take care of the admission process so there is no reason to focus on other issues since all of them are regulated by their own administration. 

Yeah, like I said in another thread, they just only said “Zoom interviews” as a placeholder to cover up the fact that they’ll cancel later, since they basically have to do a video on the admissions process each and every year, and in that video, they must talk about the selection process (so eventually they would have to talk about the “interview”). The fact that there were a lot of questions regarding the format of the Zoom interviews and how that will work, but they simply chose to ignore them all and say “Zoom MMIs” without giving any details on how that will work, was a huge red flag imo.

and yes, I agree with you that we don’t need to debate over this, since there’s absolutely nothing that can be done at this point lmao. Good luck with the admissions process guys, and I hope that I can see some of you at Sherbrooke next year ;) 

Hey everyone,

Could anyone tell me how the virtual MMIs at McGill are normally conducted?

How is it different from the in person MMI? Is it fair to use this method considering that you cannot act the scenarios as if you were in person, face-to-face with the interviewers?

3 hours ago, MedShad said:

Hey everyone,

Could anyone tell me how the virtual MMIs at McGill are normally conducted?

How is it different from the in person MMI? Is it fair to use this method considering that you cannot act the scenarios as if you were in person, face-to-face with the interviewers?

you can still act scenarios face to face. It's over zoom you see the actors. honestly i don't think it was that different from in person interviews