Premed 101 Forums

Preparing for the 2nd iteration

If one applied for a very competitive specialty with a general parallel plan, and received less interviews than anticipated for the competitive specialty and did alright for the parallel plan, is there anything one can do to prepare for the 2nd iteration ahead of match day, just as some extra insurance just in case? 

ask for your letters from carms + other documents which are externally sent that you haven't seen and figure out your weak points would prob be a good starting point. you could figure out from last years carms data where and what specialties second interation spots largely were and in what cities (you're not obligated to participate if nothing appeals to you). 

but if you intend on ranking the parallel plan be prepared to match and move because anything you rank is open to matching and if you do match it's a binding agreement. 

1 hour ago, ihsh said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea why Calgary FM had 20 leftover spots last year?

Were they just that unpopular or were they super picky? As someone who has a Calgary FM interview, I really hope it's the former...

Unpopular due to the issues in Alberta for doctors right now I think is my guess. They were all filled after second iteration though. 

1 hour ago, ihsh said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea why Calgary FM had 20 leftover spots last year?

Were they just that unpopular or were they super picky? As someone who has a Calgary FM interview, I really hope it's the former...

They may have been super picky? Because Alberta had no problem filling seats in the 1st iteration, it was just Calgary.