Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge 2022 Cycle

5 minutes ago, dentalmental said:

I'm still surprised no one that applied through Atlantic Bridge has confirmed they have received an acceptance letter. Does anyone know if the second rounds get released? 

I think it’s because the schools send out offers in different waves for different groups of applicants. I know for North America the first round isn’t sent until late March/early April. Someone I know who applied through Atlantic Bridge from North America was accepted last year got their offer the first week of April. AB messed us all up by being vague and telling us different information.

I know the waiting is tough for us, but we’re almost there!! I believe we should be hearing back in the next 2-3 weeks.

Just curious, but what's everyone's backup plans if you don't mind sharing? I was thinking perhaps to do a master's, but I didn't want to start applying until I heard back from AB lol. Or maybe take a year off and work full-time. Would anyone be re-applying next year if they don't get in this year? 

Also, anyone here thinking of applying to Australian dental programs?

5 minutes ago, HopefulDentalStudent said:

Just curious, but what's everyone's backup plans if you don't mind sharing? I was thinking perhaps to do a master's, but I didn't want to start applying until I heard back from AB lol. Or maybe take a year off and work full-time. Would anyone be re-applying next year if they don't get in this year? 

If I do not get in this year to an Irish dental school, I do not plan on re-applying next year due to their ambiguous selection process. I'm going to go back to school and complete pre-requisites for Canadian schools (+write the DAT) and also apply to Australian schools. Hope this helps. 

10 minutes ago, HopefulDentalStudent said:

I have the option of potentially completing another degree over the next year while also studying for the DAT and getting more volunteer/shadowing hours in. I’ll apply again to Ireland as well as Canadian schools. That being said, I’m not sure of my chances here. With most of the schools preferencing in province students and UoA just changing their admission requirements so I’m no longer eligible, it makes my chances unlikely. I’ve considered Australia and New Zealand but as a dual citizen I have to apply as though I’m living there which creates it’s own unique challenges. So short answer is I really have no idea and I’ll figure it out as I go haha.

Has anyone looked into US school options??

39 minutes ago, PreDentalEm said:

I have the option of potentially completing another degree over the next year while also studying for the DAT and getting more volunteer/shadowing hours in. I’ll apply again to Ireland as well as Canadian schools. That being said, I’m not sure of my chances here. With most of the schools preferencing in province students and UoA just changing their admission requirements so I’m no longer eligible, it makes my chances unlikely. I’ve considered Australia and New Zealand but as a dual citizen I have to apply as though I’m living there which creates it’s own unique challenges. So short answer is I really have no idea and I’ll figure it out as I go haha.

I looked into US schools briefly and the programs seem very good (expensive though and out of my budget personally). Regardless though, I think they're definitely worth looking into as there's a handful of school that are Canadian friendly and it would be nice to work in the states. 

1 hour ago, HopefulDentalStudent said:

I'm in my masters which ends in August, and already did one year of working in dentistry after undergrad, so quite honestly I'm limited for options. My DAT expires this year as well so I think I would just reapply to Ireland again next cycle in hopes of getting into the four year if they offer it again. I don't think I'd try for Canadian schools either just given how high your GPA needs to be and they don't care for masters GPA. 

1 hour ago, PreDentalEm said:

I applied to US schools last year, I find their process to be a bit daunting because as Canadians we're deemed as international students and there are very limited seats (less than 10 iirc). 

Just hoping for the best for this cycle :/ :)

8 minutes ago, flossboss97 said:

I applied to US schools last year, I find their process to be a bit daunting because as Canadians we're deemed as international students and there are very limited seats (less than 10 iirc). 

there is definitely more than "10" seats in US dental schools. Many of the mare canadian/international friendly.  Source: many colleagues who went to the US for dental school in California and tri-state area 

1 minute ago, JohnGrisham said:

there is definitely more than "10" seats in US dental schools. Many of the mare canadian/international friendly.  Source: many colleagues who went to the US for dental school in California and tri-state area 

Noted, the only Canadian friendly schools I was aware of was Detroit, NYU and Boston when I was applying. As for the other schools in the US, I was told '10' when I called them directly and asked but this was a couple years ago.  

Ill be applying to Ireland again next year if all goes south this year. I've already done my Master's and been working full-time this year. Not sure how else ill be able to improve my application, but oh well. Fingers crossed for this year :) US schools are just ridiculously expensive, and lots of prereqs, Canaidan schools are just so tough to get in, and Australian schools are pretty messed up rn due to COVID (i.e., this year their min DAT was 24 lol). 

29 minutes ago, flossboss97 said:

As per AB, UCC 'second' round went out. Has anyone here heard anything? 

Nope nothing, I’m going to email my advisor and ask. Does anyone know someone in the past that has gotten accepted via Atlantic Bridge?

Haven't heard anything from either, and same I know someone from my school that got into ucc in 2019. Also one of my profs had a friend in their master's program that got in (idk how many years ago that was though hahah). So AB is definitely legit, its just that their selection process is quite ambiguous as someone else mentioned above. 

It seems like TCD sends out their offers later than UCC, based on past forums. i'm guessing we won't hear from tcd until at least April. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, mysteriousdino said:

I think it’s because the schools send out offers in different waves for different groups of applicants. I know for North America the first round isn’t sent until late March/early April. Someone I know who applied through Atlantic Bridge from North America was accepted last year got their offer the first week of April. AB messed us all up by being vague and telling us different information.

I know the waiting is tough for us, but we’re almost there!! I believe we should be hearing back in the next 2-3 weeks.

The first round of acceptances went out for UCC at the end of February