Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

wondering if anyone else is applying to Dalhousie? Haven't seen much on it. I am applying out of province. My sGPA is lacking unfortunately (about 3.68 on a 4.0 scale). However I have 1000+ hours working as a PSW in longterm care, writing physiology textbooks alongside professors (who second as my references) and got 4th quartile on my CASPer.

SO - I really think the only lacking part of my application is my GPA. Does anyone have experience with applying to Dal PT? How heavily to they weigh grades vs. other aspects? I've heard nothing from them yet and I am soooo anxious!!!

10 minutes ago, PT2022- said:

Does ubc tend to release their OT/PT results on the same day?

I know in the past ubc has sent PT invites near April 12-14 dto the interviews being on Mar10, but this year our interviews were 6 days earlier.

I would guess they're unrelated to each other. I'm anxiously awaiting PT as well but I don't think this is an indication that we're going to hear.

Just a guess though.

Just found out I'm waitlisted. (e-mail sent a 8:40am) How many people are usually waitlisted??? I'm #19 on the list I just want to know if i have a chance. I'm OOP, I don't know if there are separate waitlists.

GPA: 3.88

CASPer: 4th quartile

Interview: honestly kinda surprised I'm even on the waitlist, I wasn't super confident about the interview

59 minutes ago, OTWrappingpaper said:

Just found out I'm waitlisted. (e-mail sent a 8:40am) How many people are usually waitlisted??? I'm #19 on the list I just want to know if i have a chance. I'm OOP, I don't know if there are separate waitlists.

GPA: 3.88

CASPer: 4th quartile

Interview: honestly kinda surprised I'm even on the waitlist, I wasn't super confident about the interview

At least 12 got off the waitlist last year from what I remember. 

I applied to UBC MOT and got rejected this morning. 

GPA: 3.9 I think (4.0/4.33) 

BC Applicant 

Casper: 4th quartile 

Interview: felt really confident- second time applying & second time interviewing. Format was very similar to the first time. 

Hours: around 700 working as a Behavioural interventionist with 4 different kiddo’s 

If those who got accepted could share their stats that would be greatly appreciated <3

2 minutes ago, ooooooootpls said:

At least 12 got off the waitlist last year from what I remember. 

I applied to UBC MOT and got rejected this morning. 

GPA: 3.9 I think (4.0/4.33) 

Casper: 4th quartile 

Interview: felt really confident- second time applying & second time interviewing. Format was very similar to the first time. 

Hours: around 700 working as a Behavioural interventionist with 4 different kiddo’s 

If those who got accepted could share their stats that would be greatly appreciated <3

out of province?

58 minutes ago, OT_applicant said:

@PotentialOT do u mind sharing your stats?

Hey!

GPA 90% (No idea what that is on a 4.0 scale...) I think, they may have calculated it differently based on if they take certain courses. 

Over 2000 hours of work between Long-term care, multi-disciplinary rehab clinic, Special Olympics

Casper: 3rd quartile

Interview: felt really good, I had interviewed last year and was really able to strengthen my answers with my current experience in LTC. 

Statement: I reflected on a interaction/action I took for a resident with dementia who was always asking the same questions over and over. 

In-Province!

hi friends, got accepted into UBC OT this morning but just wanted to say that decisions don't define us and i hope you continue believing in yourselves regardless of what they are! congratulations to everyone who received the news they were hoping for and goodluck in future cycles (or for decisions from other schools) if you didn't:) 

37 minutes ago, MOT2022hopeful said:

didn’t get accepted into the MOT program this year :( I will be trying again next year. For those of you who got in, was this your first time applying? 

If not, what do you recommend to get a better chance next cycle?

This was my second time applying. I really reflected on my application and used the year to gain more experience and think about what it means to me and OT. I also reviewed my interview questions and thought of areas I may have fallen short. Overall, I found the extra year was actually great, as I have learned so much and will be entering the program even stronger! 

36 minutes ago, MOT2022hopeful said:

didn’t get accepted into the MOT program this year :( I will be trying again next year. For those of you who got in, was this your first time applying? 

If not, what do you recommend to get a better chance next cycle?

Hey! Sorry to hear you didn't get in, I hope next year goes better for you! I know it sucks but I think sticking to it shows persistence which is something I'm sure they look for!

I got into UBC MOT North Campus - If you didn't this year I recommend applying up North! I grew up in Vancouver but just wanted to get in wherever possible. It increases your chances of getting in and its a brand new program so there might be fewer applicants!

I also recommend talking to OT's before the interview, they really helped me feel confident can helped give me an inside perspective of what is happening in OT

Hi everyone - got accepted to UBC MOT this morning 7:37am, so excited! Was a bit thrown off by getting in on April Fool's

Chin up for everyone on the waitlist, looking at previous years' forums, it seems there's a decent amount of movement each year! And for those who didn't get in - last year I didn't even get an interview, lots can change in a year! You'll all make great OTs in due time :)

22 minutes ago, rehabrehab said:

Hi everyone - got accepted to UBC MOT this morning 7:37am, so excited! Was a bit thrown off by getting in on April Fool's

Chin up for everyone on the waitlist, looking at previous years' forums, it seems there's a decent amount of movement each year! And for those who didn't get in - last year I didn't even get an interview, lots can change in a year! You'll all make great OTs in due time :)

are you oop or ip? and what are ur stats lmao

just trying to figure out where i went wrong lmao 

7 hours ago, PTapplicant2000 said:

wondering if anyone else is applying to Dalhousie? Haven't seen much on it. I am applying out of province. My sGPA is lacking unfortunately (about 3.68 on a 4.0 scale). However I have 1000+ hours working as a PSW in longterm care, writing physiology textbooks alongside professors (who second as my references) and got 4th quartile on my CASPer.

SO - I really think the only lacking part of my application is my GPA. Does anyone have experience with applying to Dal PT? How heavily to they weigh grades vs. other aspects? I've heard nothing from them yet and I am soooo anxious!!!

Hi, I am also applying to Dal and I am also out of province. I think they are weighing GPA as 60% and casper as 40% this year, and they probably look at the personal statement as well but I am not too sure if they look at experiences. Good luck with the application and hopefully we both hear back from them soon! :)

Wondering if anyone has any success stories/ friends they know of who have been admitted to an OT school in Canada with a low GPA? Personally, my sGPA is a 3.56 and cGPA is a 3.44 which isn't competitive anywhere but Queens, I have lots of relevant experience and strong personal statements as well as a 4th quartile Casper, but not sure if people have gotten in with lower stats before

59 minutes ago, Otapplicant22 said:

Wondering if anyone has any success stories/ friends they know of who have been admitted to an OT school in Canada with a low GPA? Personally, my sGPA is a 3.56 and cGPA is a 3.44 which isn't competitive anywhere but Queens, I have lots of relevant experience and strong personal statements as well as a 4th quartile Casper, but not sure if people have gotten in with lower stats before

I have virtually identical GPAs as you do and I got into UBC this morning. I know they calculate it a bit differently but don’t give up hope! I had a 4th quartile Casper, tons of relevant experience, and reference letters from people I know think highly of me. I know some programs will take all this stuff into account even with a lower GPA :)

3 hours ago, OTWrappingpaper said:

are you oop or ip? and what are ur stats lmao

just trying to figure out where i went wrong lmao 

I'm a BC resident. I applied last year and got rejected pre-interview. Since then I got a lot more work experience but didn't upgrade any courses or anything. 

GPA - 85%

CASPer - 3rd quartile

Interview - I felt pretty confident. I've always felt that if I got to the interview stage I'd have a wayyy better chance (since my GPA is on the lower end)

Experience - 2000 hours as a kinesiologist and vision/vestibular rehab therapist, plus ~200 hours as a support worker and labour & delivery intern in the Caribbean (that I talked about in my interview)