Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

For those who have been accepted to UBC MPT and have the CAP with UoT this Saturday, are you still writing it? 

UBC MPT was my top choice, so I'm trying to give my CAP interview invite to someone else by withdrawing from it, but UoT hasn't replied yet. 

Does anyone know if UoT gives the invite offer to someone else? 

37 minutes ago, LetsbePT said:

For those who have been accepted to UBC MPT and have the CAP with UoT this Saturday, are you still writing it? 

UBC MPT was my top choice, so I'm trying to give my CAP interview invite to someone else by withdrawing from it, but UoT hasn't replied yet. 

I have the same question. Likely going to be accepting UBC's offer, but I don't know if I can back out of the CAP now.

48 minutes ago, LetsbePT said:

10 minutes ago, EWPT said:

I have the same question. Likely going to be accepting UBC's offer, but I don't know if I can back out of the CAP now.

I have no help for this but I just wanted to say I think it's amazing that you both are taking extra steps to try and get others an opportunity. That is so lovely to see :)

3 hours ago, FUTUREPTSTDNT said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/513855510452356

Alright! Here is a link for the UBC Northern Cohort FB group! Go ahead and request a join, it's currently private. See you in PG!

Congrats to everyone for their hard work. Applying to UBC is an accomplishment in itself, especially that application ... it was hearty. 

Make sure you folks join the other Facebook page too as the upper cohorts will need to reach all of you over the summer and throughout the program:)

43 minutes ago, albertahopefulOT said:

I have no help for this but I just wanted to say I think it's amazing that you both are taking extra steps to try and get others an opportunity. That is so lovely to see :)

Of course! I would hope someone would do the same for me! 

For anyone interested, I withdrew my application to UoT from ORPAS. I also emailed Sarah McMahon at UoT to let her know. They didn't provide any information if anyone else gets the interview offer now. However, I hope someone else gets an offer! 

Hi All,

Congrats to all those who got into UBC's MPT program! Exciting times.

For those of us trying again for next year, are there any who have experience with applying multiple times? Did you try anything different for the second application - new volunteer, interview practice, etc? I found this forum after the interview, so missed out on practice with like-minded folks, which may have been my downfall. But now there's a year's worth of prep time, so I'm hoping to maximize that.

Also, thanks to everyone posting here, lots of good info :)

2 hours ago, tryingPT said:

Hi All,

Congrats to all those who got into UBC's MPT program! Exciting times.

For those of us trying again for next year, are there any who have experience with applying multiple times? Did you try anything different for the second application - new volunteer, interview practice, etc? I found this forum after the interview, so missed out on practice with like-minded folks, which may have been my downfall. But now there's a year's worth of prep time, so I'm hoping to maximize that.

Also, thanks to everyone posting here, lots of good info :)

For me it took 3 attempts to get accepted. First year was no response, last year waitlisted for interview and finally in this year. 

For reference, I am an in province applicant, mature student (28) and had a ~86% sGPA.

Between attempt 1 and 2, I went from working as a physio assistant to a kinesiologist. I also increased my volunteering (slightly). On my application I focused on trying to demonstrate my knowledge of the industry and used the physiotherapy core competencies to help shape my responses. Also note, seats offered went for 80 --> 100 Between applications. 

Between attempt 2 and 3, I continued to work as a kinesiologist. I increased my volunteering experience by taking initiative and starting my own program for individuals with Parkinsons who were no longer able to access group classes due to covid. I had much more experience with workplace interactions that related to many of the application and interview questions. My biggest help preparing for interviews was core competencies, reviewing current events, and educating myself more on underrepresented populations in BC's Healthcare system. Note, this year seats increase from 100 --> 120.

Over all 3 applications, I never took additional courses to raise my GPA (my one poor grade was located near the end of my degree). 

Keep applying and don't give up. IMO if you have a competitive enough GPA to get an interview (or even waitlisted), then focus on relevant skills, interpersonal experience and being an involved in helping to improve the well being of others within your community (not simply volunteering to get hours). 

Lastly, keep applying and don't give up! Good luck :)

56 minutes ago, FuturePTOT said:

hey has anyone worked as a kinesiologist? I am curious to how you have the knowledge to being one when coming right out of a kineisology degree? Because you need to know how to implement programs and exercises and I feel like I would not know how to do that without some experience????

Personally, I found my Kinesiology degree was significantly lacking in exercise prescription and assessment skills.

Some things that helped me most were...

1.  Having a history of weight training and a background in athletics.
  2. If you start working in a clinical setting, take advantage of working with other professionals and ask questions. I've been working as a Kinesiologist for 3 years now and still continue to ask questions and bounce new ideas off my peers and colleagues. 
  3. Continue to educate yourself. Your degree is the foundation of knowledge that allows you to critically evaluate what information/exercises could be useful and which are nonsense.
  4. Consider taking additional courses. The BCAK offers a course called FASE (Functional Assessment of Spine & Extremities). I found this helpful to reinforce my assessment skills and develop confidence. I believe there is a subsequent course for exercise prescription as well. 
  5. Consider trying to shadow another Kinesiologist. Simply spending a week or two and seeing how another Kinesiologist works will help you develop your toolbox of exercises and be a valuable resource to learn why they prescribe the exercises they do. 
  6. Practice, practice, practice. Even if the literature says to do a certain exercise to correct a muscular dysfunction, it does not mean that that approach will always work. Be flexible and adapt your programs when things aren't working. You are not expected to fix somebody in one session (and you likely never will), as they continue to progress (or don't), you will have to adjust the program accordingly. Trial and error is a big component. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :)

C

8 minutes ago, CP_2022_MPT said:

Personally, I found my Kinesiology degree was significantly lacking in exercise prescription and assessment skills.

2. If you start working in a clinical setting, take advantage of working with other professionals and ask questions. I've been working as a Kinesiologist for 3 years now and still continue to ask questions and bounce new ideas off my peers and colleagues. 
  3. Continue to educate yourself. Your degree is the foundation of knowledge that allows you to critically evaluate what information/exercises could be useful and which are nonsense.
  4. Consider taking additional courses. The BCAK offers a course called FASE (Functional Assessment of Spine & Extremities). I found this helpful to reinforce my assessment skills and develop confidence. I believe there is a subsequent course for exercise prescription as well. 
  5. Consider trying to shadow another Kinesiologist. Simply spending a week or two and seeing how another Kinesiologist works will help you develop your toolbox of exercises and be a valuable resource to learn why they prescribe the exercises they do. 
  6. Practice, practice, practice. Even if the literature says to do a certain exercise to correct a muscular dysfunction, it does not mean that that approach will always work. Be flexible and adapt your programs when things aren't working. You are not expected to fix somebody in one session (and you likely never will), as they continue to progress (or don't), you will have to adjust the program accordingly. Trial and error is a big component. 

C

WOW, I really appreciate your help and time you took to write this. Thank you!!

15 minutes ago, CP_2022_MPT said:

C

I second this!!

I have been working as a kinesiologist for about 10 months in total and continuing education/collaboration with other healthcare professionals is key. The physios I worked alongside taught me so much, and ultimately solidified my love for rehab med. Yes, my kin degree gave me a good foundational knowledge for exercise prescription and assessment; however, it took LOTS of practice to become competent in prescribing the correct exercises for certain conditions. Taking a detailed subjective history is also very important so you can modify your plans around their lifestyle, so get to know those that you treat on an individual basis! Lastly, be confident in your skills. Feel comfortable in making mistakes, as they help you learn! Nobody is perfect and learning curves are always inevitable. 

Good luck!

11 minutes ago, OTPTOTPT2022 said:

I second this!!

I have been working as a kinesiologist for about 10 months in total and continuing education/collaboration with other healthcare professionals is key. The physios I worked alongside taught me so much, and ultimately solidified my love for rehab med. Yes, my kin degree gave me a good foundational knowledge for exercise prescription and assessment; however, it took LOTS of practice to become competent in prescribing the correct exercises for certain conditions. Taking a detailed subjective history is also very important so you can modify your plans around their lifestyle, so get to know those that you treat on an individual basis! Lastly, be confident in your skills. Feel comfortable in making mistakes, as they help you learn! Nobody is perfect and learning curves are always inevitable. 

Good luck!

Thank you! I am curious though because you mention different exercises for certain conditions, do you work alongside a lot of different injuries in which you need to know a lot? Do the physiotherapists give out the exercises or are you fully independent on this? It makes me so nervous because I dont feel like i know a lot as I am about to graduate my kinesiology degree so Im not sure how to succeed ahhhh. Im also hoping i get into OT or PT but rn things are not turning out so great lol :(

47 minutes ago, FuturePTOT said:

Thank you! I am curious though because you mention different exercises for certain conditions, do you work alongside a lot of different injuries in which you need to know a lot? Do the physiotherapists give out the exercises or are you fully independent on this? It makes me so nervous because I dont feel like i know a lot as I am about to graduate my kinesiology degree so Im not sure how to succeed ahhhh. Im also hoping i get into OT or PT but rn things are not turning out so great lol :(

I was accepted into UBC OT as well as PT this cycle (in province, first time applying) and I just wanted to say that I have no experience prescribing exercises or knowing about certain conditions but relevant skills can be attained from diverse experiences! It can be hard to not compare yourself with other applicants but there are many paths to reaching your goal (OT and PT) so don't sell yourself too short, you got this:)

I got rejected from UBC OT this year with an 85 average and decent experiences volunteering directly with patients at the hospital, working as a behavioural interventionist and volunteering with the Canucks Autism Network. I scored 4th quartile on the Casper test, and I had my volunteer coordinator and two professors as my references. I think I didn't get in because of my interview.

To those that did get in, can you share how you answered the questions and what kinds of answers you guys think led to your acceptance. How would you recommend selling yourself to the interviewers during the 25 minute interview? 

3 hours ago, OT_applicant said:

I got rejected from UBC OT this year with an 85 average and decent experiences volunteering directly with patients at the hospital, working as a behavioural interventionist and volunteering with the Canucks Autism Network. I scored 4th quartile on the Casper test, and I had my volunteer coordinator and two professors as my references. I think I didn't get in because of my interview.

To those that did get in, can you share how you answered the questions and what kinds of answers you guys think led to your acceptance. How would you recommend selling yourself to the interviewers during the 25 minute interview? 

Sounds like you have great experience! The main thing I tried to do when answering questions was not just state an experience I had from my professional or personal life, but answered it in three parts: 

1. stating the experience

2. stating what you learned from the experience 

3. stating how what you learned can be applied to your future as an OT. 

I think these steps made me seem very well-rounded in my interview. I also made sure to think about my answer for at least 5 seconds prior to speaking. Also, I talked quite a bit about how different marginalized aspects of my identity related to how I plan to approach my OT work. The interviewers seemed very interested in this part. 

13 hours ago, pk08 said:

I was accepted into UBC OT as well as PT this cycle (in province, first time applying) and I just wanted to say that I have no experience prescribing exercises or knowing about certain conditions but relevant skills can be attained from diverse experiences! It can be hard to not compare yourself with other applicants but there are many paths to reaching your goal (OT and PT) so don't sell yourself too short, you got this:)

Wow this is a huge accomplishment!! I really regret not applying to both programs as I was interested in OT and PT :( Do you know which program you are leaning towards accepting? 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, REHABletsgo said:

I got a CAP invite from U of T last week, but I'm a little struggling preparing for it :(

It would be great if someone could send me the link/invitation for the discord group. The link that was posted earlier has been expired.

Good luck to everyone who got the invite!

i'm interested too, if anyone has the link please. lots of nerves lol

1 hour ago, PThopefull2022 said:

Wow this is a huge accomplishment!! I really regret not applying to both programs as I was interested in OT and PT :( Do you know which program you are leaning towards accepting? 

Thank you!! I do want to add that I have faced alot of rejection in my journey in other ways and it can be easy to overlook others' struggles when only their successes are presented! I'm leaning towards PT so the OT waitlist can expect a bit of movement. Hopefully you get off the waitlist and we can study together this fall but if not, definitely apply to both OT and PT next cycle since you can envision yourself doing either. Goodluck!!