Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

I wanted to post my results as I found it helpful when preparing my application!

Applied: PT - UBC, UofA / OT - UofA, UofM

Accepted: UBC

Waitlisted: UofA OT (middle)

Rejected: UofA PT (post interview), UofM (pre interview)

sGPA: 3.9 (UofM), 3.87 (UBC), 3.71 (UofA). Took me forever to calculate these, with all the different scales and ways that admission grades are calculated.

Casper - 3rd quartile

~ a year and a half working/volunteering in physio clinics first as a PTA, then transitioned into a kinesiologist position. ~450 hours working with young adults with disabilities in a group setting as well as one-on-one. 

had very strong references from a prof I had for 2 classes and got to know very well and a work supervisor for my position with individuals experiencing disability. 

interview went very well at UBC. I felt strong in my responses and was able to reflect well on my experiences and written statements with the interviewers. Didn't do my best on the UofA interview. I felt shaky and my responses lacked coherence.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! For those who did not get the results you were hoping for, try not to get discouraged. This was my second time applying and last year I was able to earn a 4.0 in the fall and gain so much valuable experience which will make me a better physio in the long run!

Can't wait to meet all the other MPT 1's in vancouver next year! :)

Applied: OT - western and UofT 

Accepted: western

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: UofT

sGPA: 3.66

Casper - 4th

~ I applied last year to 4 Ontario schools, rejected from all except waitlisted on Western 

~ I didn’t up my GPA in my year off but my second semester of 4th year bumped it up 

~ on my year off I built my resume by volunteering at a non profit thrift store and a physio clinic. I worked as a PTA in LTC and at a hospital as a porter. 
~ Casper must have really made an impact as well as my written statements!! 

Applied: U of T, Western, Queens, McMaster (all OT)

Accepted: U of T (st. george), Western, McMaster

SubGPA: 3.9, 4th quartile Casper

I am leaning towards accepting U of T as I want to build connections in Toronto but I am looking into Western's program too. I don't think McMaster's learning style is for me. Please let me know if you can give me more information on either UofT OT or Western OT programs!!

2 hours ago, OT_applicant said:

Anyone know what the class size of Western OT is and how many ppl apply?? 

is there anyone from previous years that attended or is attending Western OT that would like to answer questions?? 

So I'm going into Western OT next year but when I spoke to current Western OT students they said 60-70 people! Two years ago was 63 people I think, not sure about last year. 

1 minute ago, PThopefull2022 said:

Applied (PT - first time applicant): UofT, McMaster, Queens, Western, Dal, UofA and UBC (BC resident) 

Accepted: McMaster 

Waitlisted: UBC, Dal

Rejected: UofT, Queens, Western, UofA

sGPA: 3.71 (calculated by ORPAS) 

cGPA: 3.31

Casper - 4th quartile 

Ahhh when/where did you hear from Mac?!?!

2 minutes ago, PThopefull2022 said:

Today at 12:25pm I got an email saying there has been an update to my application which directed me to the portal where my offer letter was! I also see on offer on ORPAS. 

Goodluck and I hope you hear back soon!!

Tysm!!! Was that 12:25pm EST? :P

3 hours ago, OTPT2022HOPE said:

Thank you for this and congratulations!  May I ask did you have extensive experience within OT field? 

Hey, this was my first time applying so at the time of my application I had about 5 years as a student athletic trainer (both from high school continuing into university varsity sports). I also had a lot of school related academic volunteer experience (peer academic coach, orientation leader, as well as a mentor for students abroad in Uganda). I tailored my personal statement to say how the skills I learned through these positions were relevant to OT, and talked in detail about how my personal skills match that the program looks for. I also made sure to include that I’ve been able to balance a full course load with being a student trainer which has prepped me for the academic rigour for grad school. Other than that I think my Casper and references really made an impact 

3 hours ago, Hopeful2022 said:

Applied (OT):  UofT, McMaster, Western, Queen's 

Accepted: UofT, McMaster 

Waitlisted: Western, Queen's

sGPA: 3.91

CASPer score: 4th quartile 

This was my first time applying! I had 3 different CO-OP terms during my undergrad, a practicum working as a fitness instructor for seniors and was very involved in my school academics and program association. I have no idea what program to choose between McMaster and UofT, so I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts on either school's program! :) I was really hoping for Western. :( Any idea how many people get on the waitlist typically and how quickly it moves? Thanks! :)

Hi!! Congrats on getting in. I was also in the fence between Mac & U of T and I'm picking U of T. The faculty and staff at both programs are really supportive. U of T's placement options were a better fit for my interests (they have ties to more of the big hospitals and I'm interested in some of the research being done there) and the cachement area is a bit more accessible. Mac also has ties to some really good hospitals and they have problem based learning which is great. 

I just declined my offers to Queens and Western and know a few friends who did as well, so hopefully the list moves up and you get into your top choice!! They're all wonderful programs and I'm sure you'll do great no matter where you go.

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western, Queens, and McMaster all OT
Accepted: Western and Queens
Waitlisted: None
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: s-gpa 3.78 (Actually 3.8 but one of my grades was reported wrong - would have been $15 to amend)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I believe all my components were fairly strong. I was 4th quartile Casper. I volunteered at my school's writing centre throughout my undergrad and utilized my supervisor as both a reference and an editor for my statements! I also had work experience with a professor at my school, so both of my references were PhDs. I also volunteered with Western's orientation program each year throughout my undergrad. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I have accepted Western and rejected Queens today... I hope someone from the waitlist gets my spot :) 

13 minutes ago, HopefullyOT2024 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western, Queens, and McMaster all OT
Accepted: Western and Queens
Waitlisted: None
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: s-gpa 3.78 (Actually 3.8 but one of my grades was reported wrong - would have been $15 to amend)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I believe all my components were fairly strong. I was 4th quartile Casper. I volunteered at my school's writing centre throughout my undergrad and utilized my supervisor as both a reference and an editor for my statements! I also had work experience with a professor at my school, so both of my references were PhDs. I also volunteered with Western's orientation program each year throughout my undergrad. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I have accepted Western and rejected Queens today... I hope someone from the waitlist gets my spot :) 

Ahh so excited to meet u next year :) I accepted western as well

35 minutes ago, HealthPT said:

Is there anyone else that is also waiting to hear back from McMaster PT? 

Checked the portal, but it still says “Application is under review” and ORPAS isn’t showing anything either under offers of admission.

Nothing definitive on my end from McMaster either but I don't have the "application is under review" (it is just blank).