Premed 101 Forums

Anglophones applying to French medical school programs in Quebec

Marisa

Bonjour/Hi!

I just wanted to compile a little list of tests required for the three French medical school programs in Quebec (UdM, Sherbrooke, Laval), particularly as they pertain to Anglophones. I have already taken the Casper test in English, and I will need to show proof of French proficiency. Note that this is for the 2022/2023 admissions cycle.

1. Casper test:

• UdM: English or French Casper tests accepted
  • Sherbrooke: Casper test must be written in French; October 24, 2021
  • Laval: Casper test must be written in French; October 12 or 24, 2021, or November 4, 2021

2. French proficiency:

Accepted tests: TFE, EULL, TFI, TCF (there are other ways to prove French proficiency but I think these are my best bets)

• UdM: Completed within 18 months of admissions start date (Fall 2022)
  • Sherbrooke: Completed by August 15, 2022
  • Laval: TCF minimum scores must be achieved by the application deadline (November 1, 2021)

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes here. I hope this helps and bonne chance à tous !

I would add that McGill is adding a requirement for french proficiency for the 2023 intake (apply by November 2022).

Completing high school and CEGEP in Quebec, even if in English, or completing the CASPer test in French, is enough for an exemption. No mention of exemptions for those having completed high school in french elsewhere, however. 

Read more here: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/general-requirements/language

On 10/5/2021 at 8:24 AM, Marisa said:

Bonjour/Hi!

I just wanted to compile a little list of tests required for the three French medical school programs in Quebec (UdM, Sherbrooke, Laval), particularly as they pertain to Anglophones. I have already taken the Casper test in English, and I will need to show proof of French proficiency. Note that this is for the 2022/2023 admissions cycle.

1. Casper test:

• UdM: English or French Casper tests accepted
  • Sherbrooke: Casper test must be written in French; October 24, 2021
  • Laval: Casper test must be written in French; October 12 or 24, 2021, or November 4, 2021

2. French proficiency:

Accepted tests: TFE, EULL, TFI, TCF (there are other ways to prove French proficiency but I think these are my best bets)

• UdM: Completed within 18 months of admissions start date (Fall 2022)
  • Sherbrooke: Completed by August 15, 2022
  • Laval: TCF minimum scores must be achieved by the application deadline (November 1, 2021)

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes here. I hope this helps and bonne chance à tous !

wait so for UdeM, we don't have to submit the TFI before Nov 1st? we can do it anytime before we start classes? so like April 2022 for example?

46 minutes ago, MD2021Hope said:

Are you sure about Laval? I was under the impressions that they only required the proof of french proficiency before starting internship.

Connaissance du français

L'étudiant admis à ce baccalauréat doit se conformer aux Dispositions relatives à l'application de la Politique sur l'usage du français à l'Université Laval.

Candidat non francophone

Le candidat dont la langue d'enseignement des études primaires et secondaires n'est pas le français doit, pour être admissible, faire la preuve au moment du dépôt de la demande d'admission d'un niveau minimal de connaissance de la langue française par la réussite du Test de connaissance du français tout public avec :

• un résultat égal ou supérieur à 400/699 aux épreuves obligatoires (TCF-TP)
  • ET un résultat égal ou supérieur à 14/20 à l'épreuve d'expression écrite (TCF-TP/EÉ).

(source: https://www.ulaval.ca/etudes/programmes/doctorat-en-medecine)

• 6 months later...

So, I went to a Franco medical school and did not need to prove French proficiency b/c I attended a bilingual h.s. - where we all talked English during recess, lunch, after school, etc. For the MEMFI, there were stations where I got zero b/c I didn't understand the questions and answered questions unasked. I got on the L.A. due to my stellar grades and got off the wait list in August. As I found the profs either mumbled or spoke too fast, I could not understand the lectures and stopped attending during the 1st week of medical school; and I became a self-taught student, there was no other way. Preceptors constantly complained about my French. Med school was exceedingly challenging for me, however, the texts were in English. The good news is that today I am a practicing surgeon in Quebec and am a happy camper, as are my patients! :P

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2022 at 6:45 AM, Bambi said:

So, I went to a Franco medical school and did not need to prove French proficiency b/c I attended a bilingual h.s. - where we all talked English during recess, lunch, after school, etc. For the MEMFI, there were stations where I got zero b/c I didn't understand the questions and answered questions unasked. I got on the L.A. due to my stellar grades and got off the wait list in August. As I found the profs either mumbled or spoke too fast, I could not understand the lectures and stopped attending during the 1st week of medical school; and I became a self-taught student, there was no other way. Preceptors constantly complained about my French. Med school was exceedingly challenging for me, however, the texts were in English. The good news is that today I am a practicing surgeon in Quebec and am a happy camper, as are my patients! :P

ahhaa, you're a champ man. 

English is basically my first language. I'm gonna prob do that same thing as you cause I feel I am more competitive in French schools. 

I have ALWAYS taught myself everything in every program I have ever attended. I hate attending class and never take notes. 

It seems that if I get into a French medical school, ill be doing the same thing as you. Glad things turned alreight for you. 

• 2 months later...