Premed 101 Forums

Invite/regret MDCM (this is not MED-P) 2022

Med201920

On 1/21/2022 at 12:36 PM, The Doctor said:

TIME STAMP: 11:00
Result: Invite!!!!!!
degreeGPA: 3.80/4.0 GPA
MCAT: N/A
ECs: volunteering in health care, tutoring in English and French, lab trainee tutoring, paper publication, international experiences, etc
Year: 2nd year of Physical Therapy (also MSc completed in neuroscience and an unfinished OT degree)

CASPER Quartile: 3rd French (I was so disappointed to not get 4th…)                     

QC residency Verified or not: Verified on November 18                                                       

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

I can’t believe it! I ended at 1-3 spots (not sure exactly) to get an acceptance at another University last year after many years at university and I was so frustrated. Really happy to get another chance. It’s crazy to see so many people with amazing stats being rejected. I hope the best for you in the future, I’ve known the pain of rejection soooo many times…

Omg that's soo great! Congrats! 

Did you apply in the regular cohort or were you considered in any other cohort? 

Good luck in the interviews!!!

On 1/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, Med2023-33 said:

Omg that's soo great! Congrats! 

Did you apply in the regular cohort or were you considered in any other cohort? 

Good luck in the interviews!!!

I applied to the regular cohort and to the new black candidate pathway. From the info I got from McGill it seems I was selected among the regular cohort anyway though.

Thank you! I wish the best for you in the future!

28 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I applied to the regular cohort and to the new black candidate pathway. From the info I got from McGill it seems I was selected among the regular cohort anyway though.

Thank you! I wish the best for you in the future!

Oh wow! McGill tells you which cohort they considered you in? I didn't know that! 

14 hours ago, Med201920 said:

There were about 65. But it moved about 14-16 (if i remember correctly).

Last year was exceptional. It didn't move much

I'm super curious on how the wait list works... when we got our ranking last year it said 28.5% of applicants who pass file review (993 total passed in cohort QC) get invited to an interview, which would be ~283, on their stats page they said 271 were invited...using 271 as the number of invites, wouldn't that mean people ranked up till ~336 be placed on a wait list? or am I not understanding the rankings properly...

On 1/31/2022 at 2:11 PM, mdot said:

I'm super curious on how the wait list works... when we got our ranking last year it said 28.5% of applicants who pass file review (993 total passed in cohort QC) get invited to an interview, which would be ~283, on their stats page they said 271 were invited...using 271 as the number of invites, wouldn't that mean people ranked up till ~336 be placed on a wait list? or am I not understanding the rankings properly...

The waitlist for interview is about 60 positions long if i am not mistaken. This fits perfectly with your calculations. 271+ ~ 65 =336

So 1-271 are interviewed and 272-336 are waitlisted

4 hours ago, Med201920 said:

The waitlist for interview is about 60 positions long if i am not mistaken. This fits perfectly with your calculations. 271+ ~ 65 =336

Last year I ranked 290 and I wasn’t on the waitlist (refused straight) how is that possible then? 

43 minutes ago, Laly20 said:

same, was ranked 333th. Maybe it was 1-211 interviewed and 212-271 waitlisted?

Well it the email with our ranking it said that 28.5% of the 993 remaining candidates were invited to the interview which is about 283 candidates.. i don’t understand where the 60 people in the waitlist fit in if i wasn’t waitlisted 

23 hours ago, Med201920 said:

So the numbers check out but still something doesn't "add up" (pun intended lol). Like the others pointed out, with our rankings from last year we all should've been on the waitlist. Another friend who was in the 290-300 range also wasn't waitlisted. Maybe the waitlist is for all application cohorts (qc/oop/etc)?

I'm going to email admissions to find out how it works.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, langouste said:

Well it the email with our ranking it said that 28.5% of the 993 remaining candidates were invited to the interview which is about 283 candidates.. i don’t understand where the 60 people in the waitlist fit in if i wasn’t waitlisted 

unless. the 272 already include many waitlisted candidates! which means that probably the number of invites is lower that 272. let's say 220 invites +50 waitlisted. that would explain why you didn't receive anything.

also. I interviewed twice and what I noticed (not a violation of NDA) is that there are barely 15 people per interview group. (4 groups a day, 2 groups in the morning and 2 groups in the afternoon). and the interviews were always  organized for 5 days (monday to thursday sometimes Friday was also included), I can't quite remember. I always interviewed on a Monday.

one can easily expect that there will be ~60  per day x5 days =300. given the enormous logistical preparation required from the university to organise the interviews (booking rooms, paying staff ... meals...etc). I would expect the the 272 of last year to encompass the waitlist as well. (they can't interview them at a later day)

so my final understanding is that the interview list = 272 = ~220 + 50 waitlisted and subsequently interviewed (could be less though since McGill interviews before everyone else in the province).

Edited by Med201920
Missed a word

18 hours ago, Med201920 said:

unless. the 272 already include many waitlisted candidates! which means that probably the number of invites is lower that 272. let's say 220 invites +50 waitlisted. that would explain why you didn't receive anything.

also. I interviewed twice and what I noticed (not a violation of NDA) is that there are barely 15 people per interview group. (4 groups a day, 2 groups in the morning and 2 groups in the afternoon). and the interviews were always  organized for 5 days (monday to thursday sometimes Friday was also included), I can't quite remember. I always interviewed on a Monday.

one can easily expect that there will be ~60  per day x5 days =300. given the enormous logistical preparation required from the university to organise the interviews (booking rooms, paying staff ... meals...etc). I would expect the the 272 of last year to encompass the waitlist as well. (they can't interview them at a later day)

so my final understanding is that the interview list = 272 = ~220 + 50 waitlisted and subsequently interviewed (could be less though since McGill interviews before everyone else in the province).

That might be possible but that would mean a lot of movement in a waitlist for McGill med which sounds kinda odd

6 minutes ago, langouste said:

That might be possible but that would mean a lot of movement in a waitlist for McGill med which sounds kinda odd

True. especially that we don't need to move anymore to have the interviews. (virtual interviews are supposed to slowdown the waitlist movement because you can attend it easily)

On 2/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, Med201920 said:

That's a good breakdown, and very well could be what is happening. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that they interview a total of 272 and ~50 were from the waitlist. I'm going to email them once the interviews are done with! Hopefully get more insight! No idea why I'm this invested and now I can't shake it!

14 hours ago, mdot said:

That's a good breakdown, and very well could be what is happening. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that they interview a total of 272 and ~50 were from the waitlist. I'm going to email them once the interviews are done with! Hopefully get more insight! No idea why I'm this invested and now I can't shake it!

I am a numbers guy too. and it bugs me! I want to understand! I can't sleep if the numbers don't make sense! :D