Premed 101 Forums

UBC MCAT Post Interview

Hello Everyone,

I think the title says it all, but I was wondering if there has been anyone who was not rural applicant and got accepted to UBC with <511 MCAT score, I have above average GPA (90.5%) and I interviewed this year (don't really know how I did) but my MCAT is low <511 (average is 514). I have taken all their highly recommended  science courses and done well in all of them and my EC is also above average. I was wondering does anyone have any insight into how they might look at MCAT based on your observation on people who have been admitted before. I am very concerned for my MCAT and hope this community would help me gain more insight on how they might look at it. I also really dislike it when they leave things ambiguous/not transparent/secret but I guess I can't complain as we are all in the same boat.

Hi OP - there’s been a number of successful applicants in the past with MCATs in the 50x range. Just bear in mind that the average MCAT scores of rejected/accepted applicants is exactly that; an average of the population. It doesn’t reflect individuals and their unique characteristics.

If I had to hazard a guess, I think interview performance is much more of a factor in determining whether your application will be successful compared to a good MCAT score, though it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one.

In any case, you have done all you can - find ways to keep yourself occupied, May will be here soon enough. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Going through the acceptance thread and looking for trends is gonna be your best answer. I can tell you that I know of people accepted, non-rural with 508-510ish. I have seen multiple people with good grades and above-average interviews get rejected with MCATS from 500-507ish. So the MCAT does play a role but it is hard to know how much. I went from rejected after an interview with a 50x to waitlisted with a 512 if that helps you at all, I had the same interview score in the end

Looks like you have a solid GPA so I hope that carries you through. Try not to worry about something you can't change and good luck!

On 3/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, ShadesofCyan said:

Going through the acceptance thread and looking for trends is gonna be your best answer. I can tell you that I know of people accepted, non-rural with 508-510ish. I have seen multiple people with good grades and above-average interviews get rejected with MCATS from 500-507ish. So the MCAT does play a role but it is hard to know how much. I went from rejected after an interview with a 50x to waitlisted with a 512 if that helps you at all, I had the same interview score in the end

Looks like you have a solid GPA so I hope that carries you through. Try not to worry about something you can't change and good luck!

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I know it's really futile for me trying to gauge if I will get in or not, but the think is I am unable to forget about it. I am right now in another health care professional program where it exposes me to medicine and my interest for it has even grown substantially higher from when I had no exposure to medicine. The thing is my MCAT is in the 508-510 range you mentioned, and it pretty shaky. Wish you all the best and thanks again for giving your perspectives and supporting your fellow med hopefuls. 

Have a friend who was wait listed last year with a 506...

UBC takes a holistic approach. While no one knows how UBC looks at the MCAT in terms of scoring, I think its fair to say, the low MCAT would be a flag of concern. Assuming everything else was great, IE GPA, and NAQ, than I feel adcom would look to your science grades to see if the grades match you MCAT performance. If you crushed science, than I think that would ease the concerns of adcom in terms of the MCAT. This is of course speculation, but I think it is revealing they do not consider the MCAT until after the interview, thus allowing them the necessary time to look over areas of concern, such as a low MCAT.

I think the reverse would also likely hold up if we saw inside ADCOM meetings, where if a student scored poorly in sciences but got a 528 on the MCAT, their concerns in terms of performance may be eased.

The nice thing about the MCAT is its much easier to change than a GPA...and you're GPA is rocking! So, get to planning a re-write :) Nothing to loose except time, money, and possibly a really long drive to a test center....I had to drive 9 hours last year :(

The lowest score that I personally know of for a non-rural seat is a 508. There were a bunch of 509s and 510s last year but I didn't see any lower scores. MCAT scores aren't something most people talk about once they get in so it is really hard to know how people did. 

I'd say you should look on the accepted/rejected thread. Someone there says they were accepted to NMP with a 503.

• 4 weeks later...

I know a friend who gained admission with a 510. I have heard MCAT is more of a tiebreaker amongst average interview scorers, along with reference letters and GPA. I would say if you have received an interview, focus on being above-average so that your MCAT doesn't have to be involved in the decision-making. Pre-interview, MCAT is just a pre-req (just have to have above 124 on each section).