Premed 101 Forums

Post MMI Interview Feelings vs Acceptance

8 hours ago, nt2324 said:

Normal to feel anxious, try your best to keep yourselves busy the next few months. You've already done the best you can and came this far.

When I interviewed, I felt bad about 1 station, meh about 3 and good for 6. Still got accepted. 

Wishing all of you the best of luck!

Congrats on getting accepted! What were your stats like? I'm worried about how they do their post-interview evaluations because my AGPA is probably around 85% and MCAT is 510.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:51 PM, ubccommutergirl said:

Congrats on getting accepted! What were your stats like? I'm worried about how they do their post-interview evaluations because my AGPA is probably around 85% and MCAT is 510.

Hi there. 3 time applicant here, happy to share my stats. 

First time: Rejected after interview, MCAT 506, Interview Average, NAQ Above Average, GPA about 87% 
Second time: Interviewed, Waitlisted, and then rejected, MCAT 512, Interview Average, NAQ Above Average, GPA about 87%
Third time: Accepted, MCAT 512, Interview Unknown, NAQ Unknown, GPA about 87%

I have multiple friends who were rejected with Above Average interviews si the interviews are only a component of it. 
The MCAT, letters, GPA, and NAQ seem to all be considered post-interview, just hard to say what has the most weight. 
Good luck to you! 

12 hours ago, ShadesofCyan said:

First time: Rejected after interview, MCAT 506, Interview Average, NAQ Above Average, GPA about 87% 
Second time: Interviewed, Waitlisted, and then rejected, MCAT 512, Interview Average, NAQ Above Average, GPA about 87%

I have multiple friends who were rejected with Above Average interviews si the interviews are only a component of it. 
The MCAT, letters, GPA, and NAQ seem to all be considered post-interview, just hard to say what has the most weight. 
Good luck to you! 

Hi thanks for sharing your stats. May I ask your NAQ score if you still remember for your 1st and 2nd round? I ask because I have very similar stats to you.

First time: Rejected after interview, MCAT 510, interview below average, NAQ 50-75, GPA 89%

Second time: Rejected after waitlist, MCAT 510, interview average, NAQ 75-100, GPA 89%

I am doing my 3rd round of application this year and just interviewed. Man I am really worried my MCAT is holding me back. I really really don't want to rewrite it. Already forgot everything!

20 hours ago, ShadesofCyan said:

Good luck to you! 

Thanks so much for being willing to share. I really appreciate it. I feel that my references are strong, but I do worry about my stats. The two previous times, my NAQ was in the 75-100 percentile range, my GPA is what it is, but the MCAT I took in 2019 and the thought of retaking it seems like a real pain in the butt. How did you feel about your own interview?

10 hours ago, MadSchool said:

Hi thanks for sharing your stats. May I ask your NAQ score if you still remember for your 1st and 2nd round? I ask because I have very similar stats to you.

First time: Rejected after interview, MCAT 510, interview below average, NAQ 50-75, GPA 89%

Second time: Rejected after waitlist, MCAT 510, interview average, NAQ 75-100, GPA 89%

I am doing my 3rd round of application this year and just interviewed. Man I am really worried my MCAT is holding me back. I really really don't want to rewrite it. Already forgot everything!

I hope this is your year! Rewritting the MCAT is the worst. :( 

They have changed how they do the NAQ score since I applied. They used to score people out of 50 and 30 was average. I think my first application was about 32/50 but i don't have the report anymore. I want to say the second time was closer to 35??, but again I don't have the reports. 

Another thing to consider is your reference letters. I changed one of mine to someone who knew me better and would write a very stong letter. If you're applying multiple times you may want to consider if a letter could be holding you back, you really want your letters to be great (not just good). 

3 hours ago, ubccommutergirl said:

Thanks so much for being willing to share. I really appreciate it. I feel that my references are strong, but I do worry about my stats. The two previous times, my NAQ was in the 75-100 percentile range, my GPA is what it is, but the MCAT I took in 2019 and the thought of retaking it seems like a real pain in the butt. How did you feel about your own interview?

I sounds like you are on the right track. Changing GPA is nearly impossible but if this year doesn't go your way you may want to consider and MCAT rewrite. 

I recall feeling the worst about my second interview and the best about the 3rd one. I really enjoyed myself and relaxed more the 3rd time. I do think getting an Average vs Above Average for the interview is hugely luck based depending on the stations and who is in your track as far as applicants and interviewers. 

Hoping this is your year! 

13 hours ago, ShadesofCyan said:

I hope this is your year! Rewritting the MCAT is the worst. :( 

They have changed how they do the NAQ score since I applied. They used to score people out of 50 and 30 was average. I think my first application was about 32/50 but i don't have the report anymore. I want to say the second time was closer to 35??, but again I don't have the reports. 

Another thing to consider is your reference letters. I changed one of mine to someone who knew me better and would write a very stong letter. If you're applying multiple times you may want to consider if a letter could be holding you back, you really want your letters to be great (not just good). 

Thanks for sharing! 

18 hours ago, ShadesofCyan said:

I sounds like you are on the right track. Changing GPA is nearly impossible but if this year doesn't go your way you may want to consider and MCAT rewrite. 

I recall feeling the worst about my second interview and the best about the 3rd one. I really enjoyed myself and relaxed more the 3rd time. I do think getting an Average vs Above Average for the interview is hugely luck based depending on the stations and who is in your track as far as applicants and interviewers. 

Hoping this is your year! 

Thank you so much! I did feel relaxed during the interview, and I actually had fun thinking about the questions and was as candid as possible. Thanks again for your input and good luck with school!

3 hours ago, FF20 said:

I felt pretty bad for 2 of my stations and that has made me feel like the whole thing was bad, last year I did average for the interview but for some reasons I feel like I didn't do as well. Feeling pretty defeated right now. Sorry again for my rant.

How are your stats? You may not need to perform super well on the MMI depending on stats

12 hours ago, FF20 said:

I felt pretty bad for 2 of my stations and that has made me feel like the whole thing was bad, last year I did average for the interview but for some reasons I feel like I didn't do as well. Feeling pretty defeated right now. Sorry again for my rant.

I completely understand. I did pretty bad for some as well. One station I gave a very short answer and there were not many following up questions so we ended the station 2min earlier and just stared each other till the end. Super embarrassing and I am pretty sure I failed big time on that one.  

Congrats on the Interview! We are often terrible at assessing how well we do in interviews and everyone goes through a phase of ruminating about their answers... don't sweat it - it's out of your hands now! More often than not, if you found a station difficult, then likely many others did as well. Getting an interview is a remarkable feat in of itself so remember to be kind to yourself, even if it can be difficult in the moment.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:51 PM, ubccommutergirl said:

Whoops, sorry for not seeing this. My AGPA was 87 and MCAT was 514. 

An 85% GPA and 510 MCAT are reasonably good and shouldn't hold you back. A good interview and references would probably give you a solid chance. What I've heard is that post-interview, the main consideration is your interview performance. This kind of makes sense if you take into account the fact that GPA/NAQ were a filter to select candidates for interviews. In cases where applicants are rejected with above average interview scores I imagine it's because there was something concerning in their reference letters or an abnormally low MCAT score (think 507 and below). 

At the end of the day, no one really knows how the decisions are made other than the adcom. There's just over two months to go - almost there!