Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS no match; perk of doing a research fellowship

I applied in ophthalmology. It is quite possible that I no-match. I already have a lot of research on my CV, but I would still like to understand what a research fellowship is. I seem to understand that there is no established degree or course. It's just about doing research.
Also, what are the benefits of doing a research fellowship?

THANKS!

The main benefit is that for people who may be lacking in the research department ( with this being the main area of weakness on their resume) it gives them a changes to address this. It also gives opportunities for networking which may be very helpful. I'd wager if an applicant has significant research and doesn't match, it's important to figure out if there was another factor involved before jumping into a research year vs looking to match in the second iteration. With this, Optho does respect a research year and it is much better received than other specialties. 

4 hours ago, CAP said:

Thank you! I think my CaRMS folder is good, but the current year seems very competitive with a lot of applicants. Do you have more information on research fellowship, what does it consist of?

Depends on your school and how they set it up. Some places you could do a masters in a year, others will leave you in the program doing a research project. Ask your admin.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, CAP said:

Thank you! I think my CaRMS folder is good, but the current year seems very competitive with a lot of applicants. Do you have more information on research fellowship, what does it consist of?

There are several research fellowships across the country, some of them are set up very formally and others less so. 

Fellowships I’m aware of:

Toronto, Ike Ahmed

Ottawa, Kashif Baig

Mcmaster

Calgary, Fiona Costello

I’m sure there are others that are more informal as well. I would say if you go unmatched and are planning on reapplying to ophthalmology, a research fellowship is the best route to boost your chances for the following cycle.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, jb24 said:

I wouldn't call this a perk, but if you have to do it, then do it.

Its not not a perk either, for most physicians I agree, it isn't a perk, but if you like academics or want to be an academic, do know that a lot of people will do these research fellowships with or without degree voluntarily during or after residency, so its not completely time wasted if that is your interest.