Premed 101 Forums

MMI post interview

Felt terrible. Bombed 2 stations so bad. Felt meh/average on 4, and decent about 2. Worked so hard to get this MMI (2 undergrads, MSc) yet I either didn't practice correctly or didn't practice enough, not sure which. I let the nerves get the better of me in some stations :( . Expecting an instant R or very high waitlist position, this 5 week wait is going to be hard still. 

Best of luck to others who have their MMIs this week!

2 hours ago, Mitochondria-med said:

Done today. Felt good about the actor stations overall, I just really tried to get into the scenario and have fun. The written scenario I believe I definitely did not do well at all, let's hope the others can make up for this one... Good luck to everyone, now 38 days to wait! 

Super happy that you have a good feeling overall!! I was wondering if you practiced acting scenarios a lot before the interview. Did you find it really helps? Wish you the best!!

5 hours ago, djdopamine said:

Super happy that you have a good feeling overall!! I was wondering if you practiced acting scenarios a lot before the interview. Did you find it really helps? Wish you the best!!

Hi! Actually I practiced actor scenarios with my parents and my boyfriend, and I felt absolutely terrible, I didn't know what to answer and so I was really stressed about these stations... But during the MMI I just went with the flow and I think it was really different because I didn't know who the actors were. So no personnally that dit not really help me to practice before, what helped me a lot was to do an introspection and reflect on my strenghts/weaknesses, reasons to go into medicine, etc. :)

1 hour ago, Mitochondria-med said:

during the MMI I just went with the flow and I think it was really different because I didn't know who the actors were. So no personnally that dit not really help me to practice before, what helped me a lot was to do an introspection and reflect on my strenghts/weaknesses, reasons to go into medicine, etc. :)

Good for you! :P The secret IS to go with the flow and have fun. Back in the day, my preparation for the MEMFI (I was rejected for interview at McGill) was strictly my life experience and I went in to have fun. This recipe worked for me. Good luck! 

I hope everyone's interview is going well and wishing many of you good luck and hopefully good news.

Sadly, it has been brought to my attention that there may be candidates who are sharing their stations with others on later interview dates. This is a clear NDA violation if this were true. Just remember that everyone should be on a level playing field, and asking/giving away scenarios comes at a much greater risk than a reward. Be mindful, be smart, and be yourself and you will succeed. Shortcuts will only get you into trouble. 

Good luck to the rest of the candidates! 

8 hours ago, Vendar said:

I hope everyone's interview is going well and wishing many of you good luck and hopefully good news.

Sadly, it has been brought to my attention that there may be candidates who are sharing their stations with others on later interview dates. This is a clear NDA violation if this were true. Just remember that everyone should be on a level playing field, and asking/giving away scenarios comes at a much greater risk than a reward. Be mindful, be smart, and be yourself and you will succeed. Shortcuts will only get you into trouble. 

Thank you for the well wishes! 

If this is true, this is extremely unfair to all of all us applicants at the earlier dates or even those at the later dates who did not have somebody disclose what they had on their stations. Sadly, I don't know how McGill cracks down on this except trusting potential doctors to not violate a NDA. 

9 hours ago, elemed said:

For people who have done their MMI, when did you receive the invite? And are you all university applicants, or is possible for cegep applicants to do it this week?

Hi! The invites for the MDCM program were sent on January 31st. This is only for university applicants, and the interviews are conducted this week. For the Med-P program (for applicants coming from cegep), the invites will be sent out on March 31st and the interviews will be taking place in April! :) 

1 hour ago, Nikooo said:

Thank you for the well wishes! 

If this is true, this is extremely unfair to all of all us applicants at the earlier dates or even those at the later dates who did not have somebody disclose what they had on their stations. Sadly, I don't know how McGill cracks down on this except trusting potential doctors to not violate a NDA. 

Yes exactly, it seems specialy unfair for those of us who interviewed earlier in the week ... 

14 hours ago, Vendar said:

Thank you for your kind wishes.

I hope what you mentioned is a rumour and not true, BUT, the one thing that should worry all applicants is how many students have family ties with the evaluators where the checklist of the acting stations is given to them and they know what they have to say. 

16 minutes ago, Avocadorable said:

I hope what you mentioned is a rumour and not true, BUT, the one thing that should worry all applicants is how many students have ties with the evaluators where the checklist of the acting stations is given to them and they know what they have to say. EVEN if they know the questions, what is the point?  if they don't know the evaluators' rubric, there is no point! 

True, but knowing the stations in advance kind of takes out the «stress of the unknown» factor. In any ways, I really hope that is not true, since there is no way probably to prove it and it is really not fair to everyone who interviewed.

14 minutes ago, Mitochondria-med said:

True, but knowing the stations in advance kind of takes out the «stress of the unknown» factor. In any ways, I really hope that is not true, since there is no way probably to prove it and it is really not fair to everyone who interviewed.

True, ALL I am trying to say is " having family/friend ties with the evaluators is as equally UNFAIR as having the questions, maybe even more tbh! Cause the consequence of the former is that people can get in unfairly and the latter is disproportionate stress levels during the exam. 

Just now, Avocadorable said:

True, ALL I am trying to say is " having family/friend ties with the evaluators is as equally UNFAIR as having the questions, maybe even more tbh! Cause the consequence of the former is that people can get in unfairly and the latter is disproportionate stress levels during the exam. 

Yes of course you are right! If you know how they correct, you know what you have to say to get it right... I didn't even think about how that was a possbility also ... Kind of feels like honnest people are gonna be disadvantaged in this process! :wacko:

5 hours ago, Avocadorable said:

I hope what you mentioned is a rumour and not true, BUT, the one thing that should worry all applicants is how many students have family ties with the evaluators where the checklist of the acting stations is given to them and they know what they have to say. 

wow! That is UNFAIR indeeeed!! 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:40 AM, Nikooo said:

Felt terrible. Bombed 2 stations so bad. Felt meh/average on 4, and decent about 2. Worked so hard to get this MMI (2 undergrads, MSc) yet I either didn't practice correctly or didn't practice enough, not sure which. I let the nerves get the better of me in some stations :( . Expecting an instant R or very high waitlist position, this 5 week wait is going to be hard still. 

Best of luck to others who have their MMIs this week!

Hey, just wondering how you guys tell if you think you bombed a station?

Asking because I always thought that MMI stations weren’t supposed to have clearly defined goals unless it’s like a direct question you’re asked that you have to provide an answer to, and like you aren’t able to. Since a lot of it is really there to gauge your personality. 

So I’d always thought feeling really badly about a station wasn’t a good indicator that you did badly on it, and you might’ve actually done really well on it. The point of some of the stations might even be make you feel bad or shake your confidence and see how you handle it!

15 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

Hey, just wondering how you guys tell if you think you bombed a station?

Asking because I always thought that MMI stations weren’t supposed to have clearly defined goals unless it’s like a direct question you’re asked that you have to provide an answer to, and like you aren’t able to. Since a lot of it is really there to gauge your personality. 

So I’d always thought feeling really badly about a station wasn’t a good indicator that you did badly on it, and you might’ve actually done really well on it. The point of some of the stations might even be make you feel bad or shake your confidence and see how you handle it!

Without giving anything away, yes that is what happened to me on a station. Where I was expected to come up with a specific answer and I didn’t. 

I really hope these are just rumours of having checklists and what not because this undermines the whole MMI process.

13 minutes ago, Nikooo said:

Without giving anything away, yes that is what happened to me on a station. Where I was expected to come up with a specific answer and I didn’t. 

I really hope these are just rumours of having checklists and what not because this undermines the whole MMI process.

Hmm…I really don’t think the stations are graded like that. For acting based scenarios, my understanding is a lot of them are setup so they can go in different directions depending on the applicant. Remember that the stations are evaluated by more than one person, I don’t think they’re graded like a strict checklist of items. 

Also I think A LOT of applicants will speak about their stations and experience with friends, family and the like. I think sometimes other applicants might just end up hearing things through the grapevine more than people directly telling them what they experienced.

12 minutes ago, Nikooo said:

having checklists and what not because this undermines the whole MMI process.

You are not alone in this! There are a lot of us who feel the same way! Im sorry about how the mmi stations made you feel :(

But I also heard that there is a checklist in order to ensure that the evaluation process is objective! 

7 minutes ago, Naz said:

You are not alone in this! There are a lot of us who feel the same way! Im sorry about how the mmi stations made you feel :(

But I also heard that there is a checklist in order to ensure that the evaluation process is objective! 

I really wouldn’t worry about that. I really, really doubt there’s a checklist listing what applicants need to say. I’m pretty sure there’s general grading criteria, like if an applicant properly investigated a situation, or listened to concerns, and that stuff. But I’d bet on it there’s no checklist for what applicants need to say.

and every station is graded by a different evaluator! So I think a lot of the objectivity comes from that than strict grading criteria, which is probably also different for every station.

22 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

every station is graded by a different evaluator!

true that! but every station has its own criteria and rubric and they must have tried to lower the subjectivity through the checklist they have and what the applicant needs to address.... 

Congrats on being done guys!

Stop worrying about how you did because trust me you can’t clearly tell and we tend to be harsher on ourselves 

You are looked as a whole and one station will rarely determine if you made it or not :)

It was pleasure seeing many of you this week - so many of you were impressive and handled the stress so well! I hope many of you receive good news - and if you don’t this year - it’s only a matter of when! 

March 31st here we come!