Premed 101 Forums

McGill DMD Fall 2023 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

1 minute ago, newpath2021 said:

An acceptance from dent would've given me more hope for med, not being waitlisted on a list that takes more than half the applicants is really a bad sign for med imo 

They only interview 70 people in dent but they take like 121 for med. Don't be so hard on yourself, you made it to the interview, this is really big.

Result: waitlisted #5

Casper Quartile: 2q

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): some stations were okay, mostly really bad. especially the scenario based ones.

Current year of study: 4yr 

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Comments: im shocked i didn't get rejected. I heard the OOP moves about 5-7 spots is that true?

Result: Waitlisted #30

Casper Quartile: 2Q

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt short, too short to elaborate on answers. Not sure how to feel about this!

Current year of study: Non-traditional (Completed Undergrad + Professional Program)

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: Dunno how to feel, waiting for march 31st.

Waitlist for last year's cycle: 

IP: #30

OOP: #6

(See Thread)

TIME STAMP (phone call or status update on Minerva): ~12:38pm

Result: Accepted

Casper Quartile: 4th

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): 1 station went bad, 2 okay, rest felt good

Current year of study: Finished UG.

Comments: Usually I feel a lot worse after an interview but this MMI felt pretty good, which probably reflects my results since MMI was 100% of the weight. Best of luck to the others who got waitlisted and hope you get off! 

Does anyone know if med and dent applicants are evaluated by each a med and dent evaluator during their MMIs such that your MMI score for dent might differ from med?

Or does your MMI performance generate one score for both programs and then both programs just rank you respectively in their own pools based on that one score? 

3 hours ago, verycaffeinated said:

Does anyone know if med and dent applicants are evaluated by each a med and dent evaluator during their MMIs such that your MMI score for dent might differ from med?

Or does your MMI performance generate one score for both programs and then both programs just rank you respectively in their own pools based on that one score? 

Ok so from what I understand, the 2 faculties are evaluating the MMI independently but it is very likely that they are evaluating the MMI in the same way. However, the med application has more variables as in there were multiple interview days so the evaluation might vary. 

16 hours ago, verycaffeinated said:

Its the latter.

Their email stated "Because the non-cognitive and humanistic skills required of dentists are the same as those required of physicians, students who have applied to both the DMD program and the MDCM program at McGill will only need to go through one MMI circuit for both applications.

Students who have applied to both programs will obtain a score for their MMI that will evaluated independently by each Faculty to rank their candidates and make their admission offers."

2 hours ago, get it said:

Its the latter.

Their email stated "Because the non-cognitive and humanistic skills required of dentists are the same as those required of physicians, students who have applied to both the DMD program and the MDCM program at McGill will only need to go through one MMI circuit for both applications.

Students who have applied to both programs will obtain a score for their MMI that will evaluated independently by each Faculty to rank their candidates and make their admission offers."

If you read the last paragraph of the email you are talking about it says:

"We emphasize that the selection processes for both the DMD and MDCM programs are completely separate from each other, with separate selection committees and weightings for the different selection tools used, including the MMI scores.  Thus any communications that you may receive from either the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences or the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, such as offers of admission, offers of waiting list, or refusals, will be completely independent of each other."

So they could be evaluating the scores differently (although I think it's unlikely).

So to ease everyone’s anxiety and questions -

it’s one interview for both and a “score” is made
Evaluating the mmi is complex and as you expect multiple components.

The scores are views and likely weighed differently by the faculties. Therefore, an admission and acceptance to one does not mean the other.

good luck :)

On 3/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, Vendar said:

So to ease everyone’s anxiety and questions -

it’s one interview for both and a “score” is made
Evaluating the mmi is complex and as you expect multiple components.

The scores are views and likely weighed differently by the faculties. Therefore, an admission and acceptance to one does not mean the other.

good luck :)

Would it be fair to assume that an acceptance to the DMD program is a good sign for the MDCM program? 

hey guys, 

do you know or heard anybody that got rejected from dent but somehow got accepted to med? would it be fair to assume your rank quartile for dentistry (for example, if you're waitlisted, your waitlist rank+ the number of offers, so if you're waitlisted 33 your rank is 54, and out of 75 people, and you would be 2nd quartile) would be the same as your rank quartile for medicine? meaning that if you're waitlisted as a really bad rank for dent (or refused), you wont have chances for med either? 

Im going crazy thnx

On 3/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, soe said:

hey guys, 

do you know or heard anybody that got rejected from dent but somehow got accepted to med? would it be fair to assume your rank quartile for dentistry (for example, if you're waitlisted, your waitlist rank+ the number of offers, so if you're waitlisted 33 your rank is 54, and out of 75 people, and you would be 2nd quartile) would be the same as your rank quartile for medicine? meaning that if you're waitlisted as a really bad rank for dent (or refused), you wont have chances for med either? 

Im going crazy thnx

Hey Soe, 

This question is so key, yet so hard to answer. I guess Friday we'll be able to answer this question using our own experience.

I wish you the best of luck !

Result: Accepted

Feeling About MMI: Very reasonable. Guess it went alright!

Current year of study:  Graduated w/ BASc '21

Comments: I think I will commit to McGill. Stoked for Montreal. If you are in a similar position reach out and let's talk about planning for our intake. Definitely on the hunt for some like minded housemates.

57 minutes ago, Spenny said:

Result: Accepted

Feeling About MMI: Very reasonable. Guess it went alright!

Current year of study:  Graduated w/ BASc '21

Comments: I think I will commit to McGill. Stoked for Montreal. If you are in a similar position reach out and let's talk about planning for our intake. Definitely on the hunt for some like minded housemates.

Congrats on both your DMD & MDCM acceptances! Do you know which program you will likely be choosing?

36 minutes ago, docsam said:

Hey guys I took my med offers, I just freed out a waitlist spot so goodluck

Congrats on your acceptance ! Good Job ! 

We were wondering if an MMI performance generate one score for both programs and then both programs just rank the applicant respectively in their own pools based on that one score.

I do not have an exact answer to this, but this is my situation (IP) : 

DMD - Waitlist #30 

MDCM - Waitlist #80