Premed 101 Forums

No match for CaRMS

I didn't match in a surgical speciality and radiation oncology. There have been many applicants to these programs this year. No position remaining available for example in radiation oncology across Canada. I already have a master degree. What are the best options to improve my application for the next year? Thank you for your suggestions.

Hey!

rad onc was crazy this year with more applicants than whats been seen in the past 5-10 years, by a lot. Even the smaller schools, some of which have averaged 15-25 total applicants, this year had 35-50 applicants which is crazy. So I think reapplying next year will give you a great chance to match into rad onc as things probably wont be this insane again.

in terms of what you can do, as someone who matched rad onc I can say the most important thing for the specialty is interest. So do what ever you can do show your are commited / interested in rad onc (research, 5th year rotations, etc). feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

8 hours ago, CAP said:

I didn't match in a surgical speciality and radiation oncology. There have been many applicants to these programs this year. No position remaining available for example in radiation oncology across Canada. I already have a master degree. What are the best options to improve my application for the next year? Thank you for your suggestions.

Are you considering applying again to both fields? What options is your school providing with access to further electives/research/etc. next year. 

8 hours ago, CAP said:

I would definitely wait to see the reports for CARMs this year. Every year there is 1 specialty that is ridiculously competitive then returns back to its original position the following year (like Vascular surgery last year, ENT the year before and this year I'm assuming it's radonc). Unless the surgical subspecialty you applied for was one of the uber competitive specialties (optho/plastics), it might not be a bad idea to focus on one (radonc or subspecialty) and apply for that again. Looking into the US isn't a horrible option either with the new guidelines to ease return to Canada. 

Sorry to hear about the Carms match. US idea is possible, there are many open spots. Not sure on how the SOAP is going for them, if there are still spots are not. US spots are also of variable quality with some programs stupendous, but also many small and understaffed programs too. Canadian programs in general are all great and in large centres. 

Re Carms - if you are dead set for rad onc in Canada next year, I suggest connecting with your local PD and getting a research project out the door ahead of next year. Can send me a DM if you have other questions and can talk further too if you want.

You are left with the "usual" if you can arrange it - doing as much quality elective work as you can, if possible doing research with them so they have something to say about you on both clinical and research sides in a LOR, get to know as many people as possible at your local school as well as anywhere else you can, and seriously consider what alternatives you are willing to go for if any in round two. Plus doing all of that while avoiding becoming bitter - it isn't easy, and it isn't risk free but it is a possible.