Premed 101 Forums

How does one improve communication skills as a resident?

I had an interaction with a patient - whereby my patient felt that I "judged" them although it was not my intention. It was a case of a female with high BMI ( BMI-50) presenting with HTN and in her early 40s. I discussed blood pressure management, but I also thought it may be a good opportunity to discuss with her weight management and exercise. I told her about Mediterranean diet and how there are pharmacotherapy available for weight management. I also encouraged exercise. Now, the patient went to tell my staff that she felt that I was judging her because of her weight and blaming her high blood pressure on her weight - although it was never my intention and I was only trying to her out by giving her knowledge/tools about available options. I feel so horrible - because it is never my intention to judge and I was only trying to help her. I apologized to my staff, and I also offered to apologize to her if she would like. However, I am left to wonder, how does one improve their communication skills in general - because I felt that the patient misunderstood my intentions and I was only trying to convey all the available tools for her and empower her with knowledge about options available ( and I was not trying to judge her at all).

It is also worth noting that I usually have positive interactions with pts - but it hurts me quite a lot when I heard today that I made a patient uncomfortable and made them feel that they were judged. 

You did what you should do (and above and beyond), and I think you did a commendable job as a physician. You could've just wrote them a script for Norvasc, tell them how great their hair look today and leave the room, but you actually did more than that.

You shouldn't feel horrible at all. I've met countless people who's got their "head up their ***", borrowing from Gordon. Like they say, "you can't wake up someone who's pretending to sleep". If the patient/family is in denial, then yes, try to wake them up (which you did), but in the end, let them do what they want to do. 

They never teach you this in med school but let me tell you this, don't tax yourself for 1 person at the expense of 99 others. You want to have energy and mental stigma to provide good care to your whole patient population. If you "kill your brain" over 1 or 2 outliers, then you are doing the 99% of your other patients a disfavor. You'll be burn out and they won't get good care. It's a balancing act. This "risk management strategy" stuff they never teach you in med school. 

These things happen all the time in medicine! What a safe place for that patient to be able to speak up and mention that she was uncomfortable. It may be worth asking to watch how your staff handles sensitive topics because there must be some stellar rapport (instead of the patient quietly feeling upset and not telling anyone/not coming back). 

When it comes to potentially sensitive topics like weight, substance use, trauma etc. my approach generally is to ask if the patient wants to talk about it, and if not, then cool, mention you are there for them at any point, and move on with the visit. If they do want to talk, I ask a lot around what the patient expectations are and what they want to address about the sensitive topic. I find this helps me avoid putting my foot in my mouth (too much), and lets my patient know I’m a safe person to talk to when they have the time, energy, mindset etc.

In this case, what you could try differently next time is nutrition and exercise counselling specifically for their HTN. Make it clear that reducing salt in the diet, using evidence-based nutrition choices can lower blood pressure (and if the weight changes it’s a welcome side effect for the BP). Moderate exercise of 150+ minutes a week can reduce BP. I would guess making the same suggestions with lowering the patient’s weight as a goal is what made them uncomfortable in this case.

You did nothing wrong. Patients will often get defensive and feel "judged" when they hear something they know is true, but are self conscious about it. This response is visceral, not rational. You are doing your job. We would actually be doing patients a disservice by telling them what they want to hear, instead of what they need to hear. At the end of the day, no one can please everyone. Move on.