Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2024 Data (Snapshot) and Final Unfilled Positions Now Available

Yeah I've read over the years that UK heavily relies on FMGs (India, Africa, Middle East, etc). I mean, the pay is abysmal in UK for non-procedural specialties. 80K salary for GP where petrol is 160p/litre and house is 600K pounds!

Right now posts about working in Middle East are gaining traction, as they pay you in USD and has zero income tax. 

The Middle East has the potential for a shortened life span these days too.

On balance, Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live and raise one's family in relative peace, harmony and safety.

15 hours ago, zoxy said:

I saw that interview too. She shrugged off the interviewer's questions about Canadian physicians being unhappy with the tax changes and said we've spent money on expediting credentialing for foreign doctors.

That got me curious and I looked it up and saw that she is indeed right. The Royal College in 2024 had 443 applications to receive equivalency and determined 432 of them to be eligible! That's more doctors than Alberta and Saskatchewan's three medical schools combined train in a year. This is a marked increase from the 99 applications in 2022 when only 69 were found to be eligible. Source below.

Canada will soon resemble the UK where enterprising domestic trainees will leave for greener pastures (US for us, Australia and NZ for the Brits) and those who remain behind will find their compensation and work conditions regressing. With the Royal College essentially folding in the face of federal government pressure, there's an endless supply of British and South African trainees who would be willing to move here and suppress what little negotiating power we held in the face of the government's monopsony.

https://www.royalcollege.ca/en/newsroom/posts/recruitment--retention-and-collaboration--addressing-canada-s-sh.html

This is so unusual and irregular. I dont know how anyone can trust these organizations when they will pull shit like this and so casually throw us under the bus without any transparency or accountability. I read that article and those numbers are only from the start of this year until April, so the full year numbers will likely be far higher. We truly are in a race to the bottom in this country.

22 hours ago, Findanus said:

Royal College is acting as an arm of the government

For the sum of $5 million dollars, you can get 700 IMGs certified in 2.5 years. Why train Canadians to become physicians when you can credential them for $7000 each? That's less than a semester's worth of tuition for Ontario medical schools.

https://news.royalcollege.ca/en/newsroom/posts/the-royal-college-receives-nearly--5-million-in-funding-from-hea.html