Premed 101 Forums

Accepted!!!

Guest physiology

Guest Miller

Hey mymomthinksimacatch,

I just got the mail this morning (tues may 25). I'm in at Vancouver! I hope the news is good for you as well. I can't wait to meet you all in August.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Miller,

Congratulations! :D

In which province is your mailbox? Mine is in Ontario and zippo arrived from UBC today. Hopefully tomorrow. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Miller

Actually I'm here in Vancouver. I don't know why I didn't get a letter on Friday. It made for a long weekend! If you haven't heard yet it just because it takes a while to get that big old brown envelope all the way out east:p

Guest Kels2004

Just found out via the phone that I was accepted! WOW! Still in a bit of a shock!

4th year applying! :D :D

It feels great... Looking forward to meeting you all, and for those still waiting, I hope the good news comes soon!

Kels

ps - I'm in St. Albert, AB (but a BC resident)

Guest Tousie

Hey all!

I'm in!!! :rollin I nearly collapsed when I looked into the mailbox! I am still in shock! I just can't believe it!!!

Good luck to all who are waiting in Ontario!

Tousie:D

PS way to go Kels!

Guest walkorbike

Hi, all,

I got the big letter today in NS and I'll be going to VFMP through the aboriginal admissions stream (that is to say, I am not an OOP!).

Honoured and happy,

-walkorbike

Guest shrimp

Kels2004

Congratulations! :D

This is your 4th year applying? I got waitlisted this time (it's my 3rd time applying) and I am thinking....if I cannot get in, should i apply again? :\

I am sure the only way I can get in is an improved interview score, because my GPA is below average among the accepted candidates.

Guest luch

Well, I also got accepted today but I will be declining the offer. I hope this hopes someone out!

Congrats to all those accepted and enjoy med school!!!

Guest Spicy Aam

Hi everyone,

I received the big brown envelope today in Alberta. I'm OOP. Very excited about this offer!!! Hopefully everyone still waiting will hear soon,

Spicy

Guest nsxboyz

Okay, so Canada Post definitely freaked me out by delaying my letter. I finally got my letter and I'm accepted into the Van-Fraser program!

I applied in my third year (last year) and I got waitlisted; however, never got pulled off of it.

I'm so relieved to be accepted: I can finally move back from my 4 year stay in California.

Guest Bleepo

Hey, does anyone know if we can get our file and interview scores if we've been accepted? I think there was a previous msg about this but I can't seem to find it now!

Guest walkorbike

Hi, Bleepo,

Congratulations on your acceptance!

No, you cannot get these scores once you have been accepted. They would tend to foster a competitiveness that defeats the spirit of a unified class and also, they are provided to people who didn't make the cut so that they can improve their applications for the next year. I think it was cantowski who said, you don't want to be in a position to get them! Regards,

-walkorbike

p.s. Edited to ask about cantowski. I don't believe you've posted yet: I hope that you made out okay.

Guest Kels2004

Shrimp,

I would definately keep on trying... like my post said, it took me 4 tries (previous 3 were all rejections without interview... and even outright rejections from uofc and uofa this year too!)

I had a 4 yr undergrad at Queen's, a couple years of work experience in clinical research, and then a Master's at UofC in epidemiology, which i finished last fall, and lots of volunteering, sports, etc, along the way, so i think perserverance and always improving your application has to be a good thing!

Good luck next year - I hope it is your year!

K

Guest shrimp

Kels2004,

May I ask how old you are? I will become 24 next month.

2002: I finished B.Sc at UBC, 1st application to med school, reject with an interview

2003: working in several research projects, 2nd application, reject with an interview

2004: working in several research projects, 3rd time application, waitlisted

I didn't do a Master degree. I guess maybe I could have a higher GPA if I did a Master's but then I couldn't apply to med school until I finish the Master's degree.

If I cannot get off the waitlist this time, I guess I have to work one more year and next year will be my final try. With my below average GPA, UBC is the only school that I can have a chance to get in.

I immigrated to Canada in 97. I guess, English as my second language has been a big factor why I couldn't get in. But I still have faith that I can eventually become a doctor! =)

Guest Kels2004

Hi Shrimp,

I'm 24, and there seems to be a big range of ages and backgrounds at UBC, so don't get too hung up on age!

There are some 1 year Master's programs out there(although likely the fall deadline has passed). University of Cambridge has a 1 year MPhil in epi, and there are lots of other options (ie course based Masters) for those that are perhaps less interested in research per se. Although the short time frame is a bonus, there are negatives to such a short program. Really depends what you are interested in!

I think you can always pursue an alternate career while continually applying to meds. My personal decision was to not tell them I was applying, as I felt it could be detrimental to my job opportunities - again, every person is different!

Good luck ...and congrats on getting waitlisted... they obviously think highly of you, so keep positive! I hope you get off that list PDQ

Guest northpole

I really agree with Kels2004 that age should not be a factor in your decision to continue applying, Shrimp! I laughed when I saw both your ages (24)-- as if that's old! I'm turning 30 this year and was accepted to UBC, and 2 of my good friends, both of whom were also accepted to UBC this year are 30 and 31! So no worries there! :D

Shrimp, also you mentioned wanting to do a Master's degree, although you may be able to do more research, and write some papers without having to do a Masters. (I noticed that you mentioned you were involved in several "research projects"-- in what capacity, may I ask?). I have only a B.A. in Psyc, but have been a research assistant for several years and have recently been publishing quite a bit (several first author papers-- luckily I work in a really great work environment where I am encouraged to publish!). So I think you can get really valuable research experience without having to do a Masters. Of course, if you really WANT to do a Masters, then go for it! But if you feel you SHOULD do your Masters, then I think you can rethink that....

Good luck! :)

Guest thetigerman

I myself will be 42 in November and just got accepted. If you want it, it will happen. Just a little perspective... My father is a building contractor and still puts in between 10 and 14 hr workdays. His father ran a grain farm till he was 79. There is a lot of game left to play yet! Do not despair.

Tiger

Guest 4EverRose

I will be turning 28 this summer. Looks like it will be an interesting class this year as we get people from so many different backgrounds! So looking forward to August now.... :)

Guest 604EL

AH! I can't believe I didn't know about this site until now... AFTER I'm in. It would've been SO helpful during the application process. Anyways, this is my second year applying to ubc. I never really thought that i had much chance... i was ready to head east. I'm so happy that i get to stay here!! woohoo!! Now, all I have to do is work my ass off during the summer to pay for the tuition!! See you all in August!!

I got my acceptance letter just two hours before my scheduled flight. I mailed the the signed forms at the airport so I don't know the forms will get to the office safely. Does anyone know when they will mail out the acceptance package or have posted some status of documents online? It's my second time applying. I applied for the first time after second year.

Archived