Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

I'm trying to get a rough idea of which schools to apply to this summer and could use some advice. So far I have about 45 schools on my list so I need to cut it down dramatically. Are the California schools a waste of money (have Loma Linda on my list) and impossible to get into? What about Texas schools (have 2 Univ of Texas on there so far)?

Also, I only managed to find a couple "safety" schools and think I need to add a few more. I won't apply to Wayne b/c it's just too expensive and I'm left with schools like Meharry, Rosalind & NYMC. Not even sure if these are considered "safe" schools. Thoughts?

I think Cali schools for the most part are a waste of money. Meharry is difficult unless you are a URM. And for the record, there is nothing called a "safe" schools. Many of us get rejected by "safe" schools and get interviews from schools we didn't think we had a shot at.

Apply to broadly to Canadian friendly schools and early.

If there are any Canadians on here who did their undergrad in the US and who have insight into how that affects our potential list of schools to apply to, please PM me (or reply here). I am wondering if having done my undergrad in the US will simply increase my chances at most schools, or if there are certain schools that I should definitely add to my list. :D

ETA: maybe I am missing it on the list but U of Kentucky also accepts Canadians.

• 2 weeks later...

I've applied to a bunch of MD/PhD programs this year, and the following I've had luck with (acceptances/ and a waitlist):

University of Texas - Houston

University of Texas - Medical Branch (Galveston, Tx)

Texas A&M

I suppose there could be some differences in admissions policy with "MD-only" programs, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that University of Washington (Seattle) does not accept Canadians. Hell, I don't think they even give acceptances to out of state applicants that are US citizens.

With the exception of Wayne State, no border-based US medical schools (i.e. UVM, UB, UW) accept Canadians.

I'm pretty sure that University of Washington (Seattle) does not accept Canadians. Hell, I don't think they even give acceptances to out of state applicants that are US citizens.

With the exception of Wayne State, no US medical schools (i.e. UVM, UB, UW) accept Canadians.

Yeah the second part is crazy, but I think you're right about UWash.

UB = University at Buffalo or better known as SUNY Buffalo. One of my cousins (a US citizen) is studying medicine there. And UVM used to accept Canadians, but not anymore:

Does the University of Vermont College of Medicine accept applications from international students?

For the application cycle beginning in June 2009, the UVM College of Medicine will only accept applications from applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

If there are any Canadians on here who did their undergrad in the US and who have insight into how that affects our potential list of schools to apply to, please PM me (or reply here). I am wondering if having done my undergrad in the US will simply increase my chances at most schools, or if there are certain schools that I should definitely add to my list. :D

ETA: maybe I am missing it on the list but U of Kentucky also accepts Canadians.

Rach I would be interested in finding out about your experiences in applying to schools in the US having done undergrad there. I'm doing my undergrad in the US as well on an athletic scholarship and was wondering whether schools will view me more favorably than a Cdn who did their undergrad in Canada. Certainly they will appreciate and be more knowledgeable about my EC's. What year are you completing? I'm a Freshman. How did Cdn schools view your undergrad from the US?

wow thanks. :P

I guess what I'm asking is if the ODDS of acceptance are much smaller for Cali and Texas schools compared to elsewhere in the US regardless of stats? Since there are plenty of schools to choose from, is it generally wise to stay away from schools in these states compared to other states?

My question on which schools are "safety" schools still stands.

Texas medical schools have to accept 90% Texas residents by law. So you will competing for the 10% of seats that out-of-state Americans, International, etc will be also competing for.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought everyone would like to know, Baylor only accepts Canadians that have done their undergrad in the US. Maybe weshould update the list at the beginning to differentiate between Canadians who did undergrad in Canada vs US.

I emailed Baylor asking about English pre reqs and this was their reply.

"We actually require undergraduate coursework be completed in the United States, so the Canadian coursework will not be considered. I apologize for any miscommunication."

Thank you,

Sheila R. Martinez

Baylor College of Medicine

Office of Admissions

One Baylor Plaza

Suite N104 MS: BCM 110

Houston, TX 77030

(713) 798- 4842

Seems like SUNY Upstate requires a year of studies in the US to be considered:

Applications are accepted from foreign citizens who have completed at least 90 semester hours of college coursework in the United States at an accredited institution. The admissions procedures are the same as US citizens.