Premed 101 Forums

Heard back from Ottawa yet?

Hey all,

Been reading these alot, havent really posted.... I know invites/rejections are coming but what have you all heard about 3rd years and Ottawa... From what I hear, it's near impossible to get an invite let alone get in... Just trying to brace myself for what may happen, any insight would be great!!

gl to all

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the 3 schools left that still take 3rd years.. it's definitely not easy and numbers are going down but it still definitely happens. I know there are a bunch in 1st year (more in the french side) and in my (2nd) year there are about 6 or 7 of us that got in after 3rd year on the english side and again, quite a few on the french side.

The thing to remember is that as a 3rd year you can have an amazing gpa but that just gets you past the cutoff.. your sketch is being compared to 4th years and grad students.. who have that much more time to develop it.

hey-

another theory- do you guys think they are sending out emails based on an order of sketch score?

This I know for sure-

the interviews are done on a last letter of alphabet basis, so As are early on and Ss would be later on in March.

From those I've spoken to who've been invited for interview-they are all Grad Students (2nd year masters), and/or from 4th year with a lot of work experience etc...

Maybe people with lower sketch scores will be sent out later... I mean if the top 500 get interviews after the 1000 or so sketches are evaluated, it's only logical to start from the top and work down to 500- Also since there a predetermined number of French/ CFNS/etc to be interviewed these people have also been notified subject to their sketch score...

just a thought... can't sleep

Here's some more scoop guys.. most of the invites have been sent out.. that said as people cancel, there WILL be a few more to go out. Refusal letters will be sent out until Feb 9th.

That said, PLEASE stop calling the office asking about the status of your email cause they're super busy as is.. and the more they're disrupted, the longer it'll take to send all the emails out. If you haven't heard by the end of next week, then you have a reason to call.

I got an interview invite yesterday around 230pm...my stats are:

4th year not from the ottawa region, but from ontario

3.95 ottawa cGPA that is weighted as well.

As for the person wondering about names, mine's with a Z and it's later in march, but I don't know how much that helps your theory.

It's 3:15pm, and there hasn't been additional invites today for users of this forum. Things aren't so promising after various students refuted theories about the order of invitation:

1) Date of interview didn't matter

2) Last names didn't matter

3) Location didn't matter

4) Language of instruction didn't matter

Oh well....:(

It's 3:15pm, and there hasn't been additional invites today for users of this forum. Things aren't so promising after various students refuted theories about the order of invitation:

1) Date of interview didn't matter

2) Last names didn't matter

3) Location didn't matter

4) Language of instruction didn't matter

Oh well....:(

one last theory, order of submission? e.g., anyone submit in the last couple of hours of omsas being due get an invite? or does everything go in one big pile. :P

btw, ppl with invites, did you follow the instructions of not writing about hs experiences? or did you expand on them anyway.

comon guys ... all this speculation is getting a bit out of hand. order of submission? what possible use would this be to the med schools. its most likely that those of us who dont have invites at this point are just going to have to accept the fact that it might not come at all.

hey-

could the people with invites share their degrees/year details

I've talked to a friend who is finishing her masters who told me that she knows of no none-grad school people with interviews but a bunch of 3rd and 4th years waiting to hear.

maybe the pool sketch scores have gone up this year because of the double cohort...

I've done 4th year graduated, and am finishing a 2nd degree BA by JUNE07

hey-

could the people with invites share their degrees/year details

I've talked to a friend who is finishing her masters who told me that she knows of no none-grad school people with interviews but a bunch of 3rd and 4th years waiting to hear.

maybe the pool sketch scores have gone up this year because of the double cohort...

I've done 4th year graduated, and am finishing a 2nd degree BA by JUNE07

You're really worried about this, hey? Hang tough!

I'm currently in fourth year. I haven't finished my degree, but will have by April this year.

And Kuantum, I also applied last year as a 3rd year OOP but didn't get an interview. I basically have the same GPA (maybe even a bit higher last year), the same extracurriculars, and the same volunteer work. I really think that a large part of the sketch score for Ottawa is having a four-year degree by the time you are accepted.

Archived