Premed 101 Forums

MMI Practice Sessions?

TBJ1

Hi momo and ccoh,

It sounds great to me. Why don't rad86, ccoh and I meet at 11:15 and later come and meet you at 12:30 momo? Does it sound good? I can practice until 5 p.m.

Directions to Toronto General Hospital

From the 401: Drive south on Avenue Road, around Queen's Park (Avenue Road becomes University Avenue south of the Provincial Legislature). Toronto General Hospital is located just south of College Street.

From the Gardiner Expressway: Take the Gardiner Expressway, exit on York Street and travel northbound. York Street turns into University Avenue. Toronto General Hospital is located just north of Gerrard Street.

Public Transit:

Subway: The closest subway station is Queen's Park, on the University line. Exit on University Avenue south-east side and walk to the University Avenue entrance on your left about three minutes or one block from the subway.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds really great kitty!! Thanks for the directions and see you there!!

(Hey would you be interested in doing a bit of acting:) I can bring a couple of scenario suggestions and maybe we can evaluate each other on how we're doing? I am not sure what you guys did last weekend but I thought this might be a good thing... )

I want to echo what has been suggested. I'm glad that ccoh and momo are also interested to come for some practice. We'll try to work on improving the delivery of our responses. And I agree with momo that we need to do some role playing - I imagine it'll be fun and VERY useful ;) Looking forward to see you all there on Wednesday!

Just want to add that I'll be available until 4pm.

Hey I am interested in Wed Session & thurs' too although it would depend on my experimental schedule...so i can't say it for sure right now but

i will try to make it around 1:00 or little bit before if you guys don't mind..

i will bring some debate questions.. so it's going to be at TGH? starbucks?

i really suck at acting by the way..:o

thanks..

kitty, ccoh, rad86, momo, anyone else meeting on wednesday,

would you mind if I joined in? I am available at both of the times previously mentioned.

Of course I'd be happy to make up some questions: Are you going off anything other than the 10 examples that were sent out to develop more scenarios/ questions?

:) kitty, ccoh, rad86, momo, nerdakilla. jinny, seanth.

If you scroll up, you will find the time and the location.

I suggest that we pose a question to each member, let the person answer the question, then give feedback as a group and we do so repeatedly using various kinds of questions. Previously, we mostly engaged in group discussions and I felt that those who were a little bit shy did not get much chance expressing themselves. By engaging in mock interviews, we will be able to prevent this. We could also have group discussions at the end of our session.

This is only a suggestion and please feel free to disgree. Thanks so much in advance everybody.

I agree wtih Kitty...we'll all be put on the spot during our interviews and we need to know how we react... of course, no one will be forced to do it LOL, but I think it would be helpful to overcome shyness and get some honest feedback...for example, I've known people who thought they were poor speakers b/c they were shy, but they turned out to be great at it!!

Like I said too, I think we should practice a couple of scenarios...I'm sure a couple of us are nuts enough to serve as actors :) and the rest of us can evaluate...it's gonna be tough but hey, you'll probably get a good idea of how you'll react in a strange environment during your interview:)

I can't wait!!

thats a very good idea Kitty...

actually .. im the one who gets shy during discussion and not a great speaker at all:p .. so ill be the one who actually needs this kind of practice the most..but i will be out of TO for two days (Mon and Tues) which means i will have to run many exps on wed to catch up...so like i said before.. i can't say for sure whether i can join this session or not.. don't count me in yet and as soon as i get time, ill go to TGH and look for you guys... i really hope to make it tho.. it's going to be a great practice:) .. if I don't see you guys, GOOD LUCK!!!:)

Is anyone else interested in strictly practicing acting scenarios on an alternate day than wed? Perhaps some of the 'regular meeters' who have already gone through the ethical/health care issues? I am proposing thurs afternoon (maybe around 2). I am pretty flexible with days/times (I have a lunch meeting on wed) but would prefer during the day. Also, the location doesnt matter as long as it's on the subway line. Uofthopeful07, KT, or sharpie?

Hey all,

Great to meet you all last week at the Thursday session. This Thursday btwn 5:30 - 8/9pm sounds great. Eise is organizing an acting/communication scenario practice on Thursday at 2pm, which i can't make. Is anybody from the Thursday night session at Sick Kids interested in practicing these scenarios in small groups on Thursday evening? Since we are getting to know each other a little more now perhaps a small feedback component wrt these situations may be really helpful (I know it would for me ;) ) Either way:

1. NerdyKilla

2. ice princess

3. KT Dreaming

4. UofTHopeful (7:15 ish)

5. Optimusprim

6. Hopeful123

7. medmo

8. polly

Eise is organizing an acting/communication scenario practice on Thursday at 2pm, which i can't make.

Polly, can you do earlier in the day, or not during the day at all? I would just prefer to miss work than to miss greys anatomy (which is new again this week!) :o

KT, I can meet anywhere. I guess itll depend if anyone else joins us but where are you located? I will either be at st. mike's or will work from home until we meet (avenue and bloor). so any library or hospital works for me. let me know.

Hey Eise,

Thank you!! I unfortunately can't make it any afternoon this week. I think the acting/scenario thing was a really good idea - thanks. I think that I may have to download Grey's Anatomy after it airs - let me know if you want me to post it online (or anyone who may have to miss it ;)

-polly

eise i like your idea of practicing scenarios. that would be ideal, really.

but i've got exams tomorrow and another one thursday at 6:00 p.m.

so the evening one on thursday it is for me. friday i'm just gonna take off at home...and saturday is the big day :D

i can't wait until saturday night, finally some time to unwind with friends :o

Is anybody from the Thursday night session at Sick Kids interested in practicing these scenarios in small groups on Thursday evening? Since we are getting to know each other a little more now perhaps a small feedback component wrt these situations may be really helpful (I know it would for me ;) ) Either way:

hey polly, i'm pretty interested...but if i come on thursday, it will be late...since my exam will end at 7. i think its a great idea though... no matter how embarassing/awkward it may seem at first.

Polly, can you do earlier in the day, or not during the day at all? I would just prefer to miss work than to miss greys anatomy (which is new again this week!) :o

what did you think of last week's episode?

i loved it way more than that 3-part episode they did. i don't mean i loved what happened *cringe at izzy and george*

btw, you guys should really get some means of downloading these episodes! or get a personal video recorder (the rogers version of TIVO).

living on campus, the popular shows pretty much go up a couple of hours after they air.

Hey momo, that depends on how much you want to pay. Parking in downtown toronto is extortion in my opinion. There's always the hospital, but you're looking at a good $20. here's a link to a map that shoes some parking. Some of it is street, some of it actual lots (i know there's street parking on elizabeth, not sure of cost or maximum time limit).

http://www.uhn.ca/Patients_&_Visitors/getting_to_the_hospital/maps_directions/uhn_map.asp

See you tomorrow.

Archived