Premed 101 Forums

Official UWO Thread

well, unfortunately i only applied to UFT and UWO because i didn't take an english credit and so will be doing that Godforbid I don't get into uwo. As this will increases my options for the dental universities in Canada and States. I am also looking into the Carribean medschool. Any thoughts on that??? ALot of my friends who are 4.0 people from UFT are there and will be done in like another 2 years. SHould have gone there but I thought i will give this a try first. lets see what happens...

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, do you want to be a Doctor? Or are you just considering it a backup plan.

If you get into a foriegn medical school, your chances of returning to Canada is nil. Keep that in mind...

i have a friend whos completing his rotations at sick kids. hes doing his md from the dominican. whats the deal with that? can off shore students complete their clinical rotations in canada, and not practice in the end?

hey guys, its official..unfortunately they didn't take me. well, i will be giving this another try as well as applying for medschool in carribeans. Doctor or Dentist..I don't mind either..I am passionate about both.

I know the chances to come back and work here are almost nil and one has to go through really hard tests to get to work in Canada. I guess that is what we have to do if Godforbid no Canadian unis take us. Why do we have to struggle so much to get our dreams fulfilled and those dreams which are for a good cause????

Oh well...i know my dad will be dissapointed a bit.

goodluck to everyone who got the interview invitation...it is a Blessing to receive that and those who unfortunately did not...just know God has some Better plans...there is no such thing as "now or never"..Keep trying and we shall get to live our dream soon (Godwilling)

i have a friend whos completing his rotations at sick kids. hes doing his md from the dominican. whats the deal with that? can off shore students complete their clinical rotations in canada, and not practice in the end?

yes they can. Only it becomes harder to practice here because the tests are harder. But then if that is the last option you have to pursue for your dreams to come true. Then that is it...

goodluck to everyone who got the interview invitation...it is a Blessing to receive that and those who unfortunately did not...just know God has some Better plans...there is no such thing as "now or never"..Keep trying and we shall get to live our dream soon (Godwilling)

Thank you ddents for your kind and inspiring words. I wish you all the best in the future. With an attitude like that you are sure to be a success.

How long does it generally take for Trish to email back?? Like a week or less? I'm trying to contact her about my physiology prereq and wanted an answer as soon as possible so that I know how hard and how much to panic for the challenge exam. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it super hard or just like a normal midterm?

ddent, you arent the only one...i am from UWO and i still havnt gotten a reply yet...although I already expected a reject, but STILLL give me some notice~[/quote

I emailed her and she replied to my email saying that unfortunately i did not get the email they send me so she attached the 'rejection' email to the reply and emailed that to me. I pray that this is not the case with you. Even though we expect it to some extant by being realistic but it is very discouraging especially when we have worked so hard. God Bless and Keep up the hope and if she has not replied to your email, then call her. Goodluck!!!

How long does it generally take for Trish to email back?? Like a week or less? I'm trying to contact her about my physiology prereq and wanted an answer as soon as possible so that I know how hard and how much to panic for the challenge exam. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it super hard or just like a normal midterm?

for the physio challenge exam

use this link..its has everything u need and is recommended by uwo

http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/ap/mediaphys2_inprogress/data/index.html

they mentioned that this exam is equal to the physio 130 exam

i took the physio 130 course and it was a piece of cake, no application question, pure facts

hope that is what this challenge exam is too ,gd luck

Those who go to Western...what is one of the best things about the city, school, and/or dental program. Just trying to get an insider's perspective. ;)

i lived in london for 3 years now and the school isnt bad

i like the fact that the school is isolate, has its own community, unlike UT downtown where its intergrated into the city.

uwo has best student body in canada, best campus environment

i m not in the dental program, but i think the simulation clinic is open to dental study almost 24/7 for you to practice, i've been inside to visit my friends a few times, pretty cool place

not a lot of campus food variety though.

city has lots of pub if you are into that, but i personally havent gone out to club/pub more than a handful the past 3 years

NOT a party school at all as many people think

school itself is very research intensive, not sure about the dental program itself

uwo dental school actually has recently come into some money. so they r renovating their clinic. the SimLab however is in the basement of the dental sciences building...probably built in the 80s and i bet it's the same still.

i've lived in london for about 9 years now and i'm currently in 4th year at uwo. It is def a very pretty campus...esp during fall! it is a heavily based science school...since there's a medical and dental program. but i agree...research is one of the main focus of uwo.

u know it can be a party school at times. i have a lot of friends in the medical school so i know they r always having pub/clubbing nites, cultural events, fundraisers for their trips etc. i bet the dents do the same. I've met some of the faculty and admissions people...all very friendly and approachable.

lets c wat else....u get a bus pass as part of ur tuition and london transportation is pretty good. rent is not as expensive as in some of the major cities. overall, it's not a bad city to live in!

I've been in London for three years now and prior to that I lived in Toronto. So being from southern Ontario I can tell you that London is nothing like Hamilton. No offense to any Hamiltonians, but there's a reason they call Hamilton the "Armpit of Ontario" :) Hamilton is very industrial, and eventhough it has some nice parts, the areas around the university are not great. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :P

I've been in London for three years now and prior to that I lived in Toronto. So being from southern Ontario I can tell you that London is nothing like Hamilton. No offense to any Hamiltonians, but there's a reason they call Hamilton the "Armpit of Ontario" :) Hamilton is very industrial, and eventhough it has some nice parts, the areas around the university are not great. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :P

Armpit of Ontario....ewww:p

Since you have also lived in Toronto (I lived there for two years!) and in London how would you compare them? I love the cultural aspect of Toronto, there is so much diversity and fun stuff to learn/see/do in Toronto...but what about London? Do they have areas that are like mini Chinatown's and little India's? That would be awesome :cool:

Ok so I have to take the physiology test even though the course I'm taking now uses the same book....phooey.

Anyone taken this before? Is it all facts or do I have to apply things to scenarios? Does it emphasize some chapters more than others?

Who else has to take this after the interview?

Also, if we only got the minimum of 70% (hopefully not) would a candidate who scored higher have a better advantage if everything else was equal in the application procedure?

i am applying this year for uwo and other States universities for dentistry. I wanted to know that a 3.7 CGPA for two best years and a competitive DAT score of around 20 good enough to get in. I know it depends on the applicant pool. But those who got in or have been called in for an interview might have a better opinion of this. Also, my cgpa for all years is coming to a 3.0 and as States universities look at that, do you guys know of any States universities that would take me with that GPA. I will be making sure that I have a good experience in the field and a competitive DAT score. Any thoughts or suggestions???????????????

http://www.adea.org/resources/OG/OG_3_WhereToApply.pdf

check out this link. it has useful info regarding US dental schools. it provides you with avg gpas, dat scores and other stats for all dental schools in the states. you can also find out which universities are high on taking canadian students.

regarding western, dat scores in the 20s should suffice. western does not look at carving anymore (and i have a feeling they dont look at pat, either). however, meeting RC cut offs is a MUST.

as far as gpa goes for western, you'll need two years with a gpa above 3.7 in both, to be considered for admission. also, the whole interview process matter a lot, too.

hope this helps.

for US schools, also check out http://www.predents.com

you can see stats for this year's applicants; their school choices, their dat scores, gpas, extracurriculars etc. plus, it carries info about schools as well. this is just an interactive, but unofficial version of the link i gave first. :)

http://www.adea.org/resources/OG/OG_3_WhereToApply.pdf

check out this link. it has useful info regarding US dental schools. it provides you with avg gpas, dat scores and other stats for all dental schools in the states. you can also find out which universities are high on taking canadian students.

regarding western, dat scores in the 20s should suffice. western does not look at carving anymore (and i have a feeling they dont look at pat, either). however, meeting RC cut offs is a MUST.

as far as gpa goes for western, you'll need two years with a gpa above 3.7 in both, to be considered for admission. also, the whole interview process matter a lot, too.

hope this helps.

for US schools, also check out http://www.predents.com

you can see stats for this year's applicants; their school choices, their dat scores, gpas, extracurriculars etc. plus, it carries info about schools as well. this is just an interactive, but unofficial version of the link i gave first. :)

THANK U sooo much. Well I have one year's average as 3.8 something and my other year will max to a 3.6 only. I could have brought the 3.6 mark up to a 3.7 but due to some silly situation that was out of my control affected my mark. its so ironic tat something other than your dedication to studies can pull you down. I still have the hope. if nothing else works, i am going to carib medschool i guess. Lets see what God has planned for me. Once again thank u sooo much for your help.

I also had one more question. Western calculates the average as in adds the average and when I did that for the two years then my average is above 80% (3.7)-does this work to get in????

for the class of 2010, western's entrance avg for best two years was an astounding 88%. im assuming there were students who were around an 83-84 as well, provided they did a super job on their interview.

you should apply to US schools. in the US, its not simply a numbers game, like Canada. they'll take into account a lot of things. make sure you apply early, have decent dat scores (since they are very important for US schools) and apply to the right schools. i wouldnt waste money on state schools, since they hardly take canadians. go with the private ones.

Archived