Premed 101 Forums

Official UWO Thread

in answer to the above question, western requires you to have two yrs that are at least 80%. Although they average these marks to make up your best 2yr average, they require you to be above 80 on both. That being said, if you were offered an interview based on one yr with at least 80 % then you would be banking on this year to give you a 2nd yr of at least 80%

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in answer to the above question, western requires you to have two yrs that are at least 80%. Although they average these marks to make up your best 2yr average, they require you to be above 80 on both. That being said, if you were offered an interview based on one yr with at least 80 % then you would be banking on this year to give you a 2nd yr of at least 80%

I definitely have over 80% in the two best years (Godwilling). However, in terms of GPA my one year is over 3.7 and the other is around 3.6. So I am not sure that which one they would look at, I am assuming the percentage as that is what Trish told me. UTM has a different criteria for GPA, at UFT if you get a 90% your GPA is more than a 4.0 but at UTM it stays as a 4.0. SO even though I have 90s in like 2-3 full credits, they are merely a 4.0 GPA that kind of pulls me down in terms of GPA but boosts up my average in terms of percentage. What do you think??? Will western look at total percentage in individual or both the years or will they look at GPA???

Once we've received an interview invite do they still put a heavy emphasis on the grades and DAT scores aspect of the application process? I mean, since we have already gotten past that one hurdle is it still a bit deciding factor for them? I know that western weighs grades as 60%, DAT 15%, and interview 25%... but I was wondering how much grades will still be a deciding factor if one does awesome on the interview. I'm assuming, if two people do equally well on the interview, but one has higher DAT scores and grades, then that person with the higher grades will get in and the other will be wait listed or something. Any ideas?

ddents,

uwo converts everyone's grades to a percentage based on the OMSAS grading scheme. So if you have 90's they will be counted as whatever they are converted to on the omsas grading system.

All smiles,

without a doubt gpa is going to play the biggest part of the selection process; however, the interview and dats do play large roles as well (as you can see with the formula western uses). It's my opinion that once you get to the interview round, everyone has great marks and dats to get to that point, so the interview would more or less be the tie breaker...it will make you or break you in terms of the your application. Do well in the interview and you will more than likely have a great shot at admission, but do poorly and you can kiss your application to that school good bye. But like you said well what if 2 people tie...then it would come down to the gpa and dat scores. They have that formula in place to rank the applicants...if you in the top 54ish after the interview then an acceptance letter will be coming your way...if close then waitlist. Good luck with you applications!

I'm from a school in the U.S. and our grading system is totally different than any of the schools in Canada. Hence I have a very difficult time converting my grade to how UWO is using it. Is there any way that Trish will let you know the grade they are using for you in the application process? I got an interview but I'm still curious to see how competitive I am academically compared to last year's stats.

ddents,

this is a link to the omsas conversion chart for UofT, but it's the sams scale western uses http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSApp2007.pdf

If you scroll down on the pdf, you will find the conversion table and an example to figure everything out.

Allsmiles,

Trish told me my gpa when I contacted them a while ago and wouldn't see why she wouldn't tell you yours. The 88% was an average, but it would be interesting to know the range; however, I don't think they will release that information, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if you're going to call anyways and then you can enlighten us all.

Have a good one

hey guys, does anyone know that if we apply after our fifth year, then Western looks at 3rd and 4th year as one year and the fifth year as the other year???? (depending on which three are the best). Or do they simply look at the two best years regardless of the number of years done in undergrad???

So last year they did this top 15 thingy where they emailed the top 15 candidates with their acceptance like super fast after the interview.

This year they will be doing it again, and when I emailed Trish, she said that it might be as soon as the end of this week.

Happy Waiting!

So last year they did this top 15 thingy where they emailed the top 15 candidates with their acceptance like super fast after the interview.

This year they will be doing it again, and when I emailed Trish, she said that it might be as soon as the end of this week.

Happy Waiting!

wow thats soon!... is this going to be by email? or do you have to check the uwo sign on thing??

I imagine that you will receive an email, akin to the interview invite, followed by an official letter...but the best thing to do is to email Trish and ask, if a) if it looks like they will send it out by the end of the week, and B) whether it will be via email. I'd email, but over the years, she's received more than enough emails from me :P :p

Archived