Premed 101 Forums

How'd they go?

I think the facts should come into play too to account for discreptancies in terms of interviewers and general bias/subjectivity.

That is why the interview isn't the only factor that is scored.

Having said that, the interview is given such a high percentage of your score because you could do a lot of wonderful things, but really, in the long run, who cares if you designed the pyramids, if you aren't going to be able to keep from snickering when someone tells you about their bowel habits. From what I can tell (and students don't mark sketches and what not, so I am not sure) but the ECs are there to show that you can handle to difficulties of medicine, want to help others, and essentially to show that your experiences have helped prepare you for a career in medicine.

This is just my opinion, but the facts have already spoken when you get to the interview stage at Queen's (GPA, MCAT). What matters more now is whether or not you seem like someone who has the POTENTIAL to be a good doctor some day. Subjective, I know, but the truth is, there are no facts that can show that.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that viewpoint too, but I just think that medicine is about commitment and dedication as well. Potential is important, but soemtimes, people are all talk and no show. I think there needs to be evidence of the commitment to a volunteer work, a school activity, a sport, a hobby, ANYTHING. I'm not saying ..must have 3+ years in blah blah, but I think a level of commitment that is evidenced by the sketch and essay is important, not just "what the applicant says they got out of their activity".

I'm not sure what other factors are being scored, but from what I've heard, the interview may be up to 80% weight of whether you get in or not post-interview...and that to me is a HUGE chunk if you're not basing it on anything else.

But oh well, it's over, we can't do anything more about it. And yeah, I seriously want to ask myself, "WHAT was I thinking answering the way I did? Sheesh..." It's like you work so hard all this time, and you have learned all this stuff from doing what you do, and then they ask you a question, and you give the blandest, most boring answer ever. It just really sucks...

Just to make it clear, I'm not complaining about the fact that I didn't get "nice" people as interviewers or anything. Nothing of that sort. I think the discreptancy most of the time, isn't so much in the attitudes of the interviewers, but rather just how they perceive certain things. A lot of it is based on what they're interested in, whether your views connect with theirs, etc. Sure, there are more commonly accepted views than others...but I think a lot of the time, one anecdote may sound touching/mature to one interviewer, and to another person, they're going "This person is trying WAY too hard". It just really depends...

Yeah, I felt like a lot of the things I said could be interpreted either well or badly. Hopefully they will interpret them in a good way.

That is why the interview isn't the only factor that is scored.

Having said that, the interview is given such a high percentage of your score because you could do a lot of wonderful things, but really, in the long run, who cares if you designed the pyramids, if you aren't going to be able to keep from snickering when someone tells you about their bowel habits. From what I can tell (and students don't mark sketches and what not, so I am not sure) but the ECs are there to show that you can handle to difficulties of medicine, want to help others, and essentially to show that your experiences have helped prepare you for a career in medicine.

This is just my opinion, but the facts have already spoken when you get to the interview stage at Queen's (GPA, MCAT). What matters more now is whether or not you seem like someone who has the POTENTIAL to be a good doctor some day. Subjective, I know, but the truth is, there are no facts that can show that.

Doesn't Queens only consider the interview after ppl make the cuts?

Doesn't Queens only consider the interview after ppl make the cuts?

I believe your questions, your sketch, and your references are all scored as well. When I went through, I believe they each made up 1/6th of the final score with the interview being the other 1/2. To be honest though, I am not sure about this.

As per the OMSAS 2008 Instruction Booklet:

Personal Assessment

Candidates who meet the above academic criteria will be invited for a personal interview. Final assessment will be based on the assessment of the interview, the Personal Information Form, and letters of reference.

3) The personal interviews are conducted over two weekends. Each interview team is comprised of three people (a member of the Faculty, a member of the community and a medical student). An attempt is made on the interview days to provide candidates with an information session that includes an orientation to the curriculum and student life at Queen’s.

4) The Personal Information Form includes the assessment of letters of reference and the autobiographic sketch. Candidates should emphasize in the autobiographic sketch those areas of extracurricular experience that include particular interests in advisory work, athletics, community work, fine arts, health care, employment, literature, organization, teaching and travel.

Candidates will be ranked for offers and placement on the waiting list using the results from the personal assessment. Offers will be conditional on the candidate’s having maintained an academic standing acceptable to the

Admissions Committee.

You know it's strange....all the other schools publish a formula post-interview. Why did Queens remove it from their website? They've been so secretive this year...so mysterious....it's like "If you love suspense, hang onto till the end, and you shall be part of Queens" dun dun dun.....*insert spooky music* And they did mention they had a thing for Hallowe'en parties! Ahhaha (okay I'm delusional now...ignore me).

I understand that viewpoint too, but I just think that medicine is about commitment and dedication as well. Potential is important, but soemtimes, people are all talk and no show. I think there needs to be evidence of the commitment to a volunteer work, a school activity, a sport, a hobby, ANYTHING. I'm not saying ..must have 3+ years in blah blah, but I think a level of commitment that is evidenced by the sketch and essay is important, not just "what the applicant says they got out of their activity".

I'm not sure what other factors are being scored, but from what I've heard, the interview may be up to 80% weight of whether you get in or not post-interview...and that to me is a HUGE chunk if you're not basing it on anything else.

But oh well, it's over, we can't do anything more about it. And yeah, I seriously want to ask myself, "WHAT was I thinking answering the way I did? Sheesh..." It's like you work so hard all this time, and you have learned all this stuff from doing what you do, and then they ask you a question, and you give the blandest, most boring answer ever. It just really sucks...

I can sympathize...interviewing is a really hard skill. I can speak so well about my experiences and what I learnt when I am talking to family/friends, but when it comes to an interview I freeze up and forget things. As you said, there is nothing to do now that it is over.

My main concern with interviews is that I come off sounding really fake and insincere...even though I know that I am speaking from my heart. I think that is how I came across in my Queen's interview this weekend. Oh well, I'll just hope for the best. Also remember that if you had trouble with some questions, it is very likely that the majority of other applicants did as well.

Lastly, there are rumors spreading about increased weighting of the interview score this year. Just wondering where people are getting this info. Thanks!

I can sympathize...interviewing is a really hard skill. I can speak so well about my experiences and what I learnt when I am talking to family/friends, but when it comes to an interview I freeze up and forget things. As you said, there is nothing to do now that it is over.

My main concern with interviews is that I come off sounding really fake and insincere...even though I know that I am speaking from my heart. I think that is how I came across in my Queen's interview this weekend. Oh well, I'll just hope for the best. Also remember that if you had trouble with some questions, it is very likely that the majority of other applicants did as well.

Lastly, there are rumors spreading about increased weighting of the interview score this year. Just wondering where people are getting this info. Thanks!

My friends have said i sound like a textbook when I am put on the spot for presentations, interviews, etc.

Guess we'll have to wait it out..till may 15..then till the end. Does anyone know around when the class is full and the waitlist stops moving?

I thought of putting a penny in a jar everytime I thought about my interview. I think id be able to buy like 1 giant sourkey and 2 coca cola candies from a convenient store by now.

Yeah I know...I feel like I came out sounding fake. But I think it's a defense mechanism when I'm really nervous, I act more "happy" and "fake" to mask my anxiety. I'm not the type that gets really anxious (which may be a good thing), but I get super positive/happy..and not very mature.

It does suck, because I think in real life, I'm really not a fake person. Most people tell me I'm quite straight-forward. I don't know why I act this way in interviews =(

My friends have said i sound like a textbook when I am put on the spot for presentations, interviews, etc.

Guess we'll have to wait it out..till may 15..then till the end. Does anyone know around when the class is full and the waitlist stops moving?

Someone I know was invited off the McGill waitlist the day before classes started. It's probably similar elsewhere.

I thought of putting a penny in a jar everytime I thought about my interview. I think id be able to buy like 1 giant sourkey and 2 coca cola candies from a convenient store by now.

haha, well this really awesome person from the class of 2011 told me at the medhouse party that she got into med school in the 2nd week of September. So the moral of the story is, even if you are waitlisted, anything can happen, anytime.

haha, well this really awesome person from the class of 2011 told me at the medhouse party that she got into med school in the 2nd week of September. So the moral of the story is, even if you are waitlisted, anything can happen, anytime.

wow hahaha. It would be really kool to know how deep the waitlist really goes!

• 2 weeks later...
Ahh, only one exam left - then I need a new distraction from waiting!

Same here..one more on sat.

Im thinking I might start world of warcraft of that game, oblivian: the elder scrolls for xbox. I heard people have lost their lives to those games. For WoW you might lose your life for the entire summer, you don't want that.

Oblivian is better i think - go nutz and beat the game in about ~ week? then replay for the second week and try new approaches - just in time for May 15! Then if you don't get in..go for WoW, leave your med school worries behind to assume the role of a human palladin with the hammer of the heavens.

Cleaning my house could easily take 3 full days, so that means I'm set till May 4th...on the 10th, I'm running a 5K, so training for that will take up some time. Then on the 11th, I'm going to the US and I'll be staying with my friends for a week, so I'll have lots of distractions (most notably, shopping, eating out, and partying :D ). So I will be down South when the decisions come out. I'll have internet, though, so I will get the news.

Archived