Premed 101 Forums

Taking easy courses just to get a better GPA?

Edit:

What the heck? Read narwhal's post below. Narwhal is the original poster.

I don't know how the heck my post ended up at the top here. Look at the time stamp.

I've tried deleting, but I get this message

Pantaloons, you do not have permission to access this page.

Moderator, please delete this post.

• 8 years later...
Guest narwhal

Hi.

I was just wondering what your opinion is about this kind of scenerio.

So I have a friend who goes to the same university as me. We are in first year and we are both med-school hopefuls.

Well... a little about me: I have this strange passion about physics (as much as in medicine) and I always wanted to at least minor in physics (while majoring in a biological science area) in undergrad as I love this kind of science so much (Maybe I just want to have some taste in the LHC area).

So today, my friend and I were talking and we started talking about what courses we are taking now in 2nd semester. So I told her that I'm taking this "mathematical-based" physics course as one of the optional course because I want to minor in physics. And she said, to my surprise, I shouldn't take such courses as it will lower my GPA.

She also told me, also to my surprise, that when you apply to medical school, they don't look at what courses you took (how difficult the material is etc...) and only look at GPA so it's better just to take as many bird courses as you can to raise the GPA.

Compare to this friend, I do have a lot harder semester and probably rest of the 3 years will be like this. Since the very start of this semester, I've been going to library to study at least about 5hr/day and I don't regret my choice at all. But after hearing this, it made me wonder if, by taking harder courses and thus "lowering" my GPA (well by her opinion at least), I'm risking my chance to get into med even if I work very hard when she just takes bunch of bird courses and pull a very high GPA without much effort and get into medical school. It almost felt like I'm working hard when I could just take the "easy road" like her.

Is it really better of taking easy courses just to get a better GPA to get into medical school?

If you're passionate about physics, I'm going to guess it's also an area of strength for you, and at the very least you would be motivated to study it (important factor in GPA). Courses that rely on understanding and reasoning (like physics and math) often tend to either have students who do very well (because they can solve the problems they come across), and at the other end, students who do very poorly (because they don't have a good grasp of the concepts and can't set up their approach to problems.) This is less true of more memorization-based courses.

"Bird" and "hard" courses are different for different people. My advisor suggested botany as it was supposedly "easier", but it would have likely been tough for me to study and do well, just not my preferred area. He said to stay away from things like physics and computing science as they were "hard." I took calculus anyway because I've always liked math - had fun and did well. But if you really think that a course would lower your GPA (not just other people telling you that), then there is something to think about for eventual med school apps..

I actually fell for a similar trap.. A buddy of mine told me to take easy classes such as psychology as apposed to first year physics. I actually took both and scored a way higher grade in physics because I really enjoyed it vs. psych. which I found boring. So just because a class is said to be "easy" doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option. I too am in my first year and am focused on med school. The class that I was told to be easy was the one which brought my average down. So if you really enjoy the classes your taking, I'd say stick with them.

I'm actually in the process of choosing one last course for the winter term as well, and I'm thinking of taking a so called "easy" course as well. However, I am having some slight doubts as although I like the material in the course, there are some schools, notably Dalhousie and U of T, which actually claim that they evaluate the level of difficulty of the course as well (I just checked the websites). So I'm sure they can spot a bird course especially if it's like a survey style course... But once again, it's still a fight for a GPA so I'm not sure what I should do as well... Anyone have advice?

If you truly have a passion for physics, then take the physics elective for sure.

When I was in second year, I took "easy" electives like intro comp sci and philosophy because I expected it to be a gpa booster since I would be taking ochem in that same semester.

In the end, my ochem mark was higher than both those courses because I actually studied hard for ochem whereas for those "easy" courses I took it lightly and barely studied.

• 4 months later...

I'm not in university, but will be joining this fall. So what I say might not b true

I believe taking piysics courses also helps you in your MCAT to some extent

To guys who are preparing for MCAT or have given it, what level of background in Physical Sciences(Physics, chem and ochem) do we need to score at a very competitive level in the MCAT

Edit:

I don't know how the heck my post ended up at the top here. Look at the time stamp.

Haha,

That's funny

I'm not in university, but will be joining this fall. So what I say might not b true

I believe taking piysics courses also helps you in your MCAT to some extent

To guys who are preparing for MCAT or have given it, what level of background in Physical Sciences(Physics, chem and ochem) do we need to score at a very competitive level in the MCAT

well taking physics certainly can't hurt :) However the material on the test is actually not that advanced - both first year physics, both first year chem, first two organic chem, one biochem course, and first year biology courses cover the vast majority of it. The rest is really just practice.

I would also mention you are focusing on the science courses particularly - the V.R. and writing sample are often better helped by humanity courses and those are also a part of schools cut offs.

This goes on... some abuse it more than others...

I'll be the first to admit that I've taken electives because I knew they were easy..... I've also taken electives I thought would be easy and was screwed (Classics of Greek and Roman Education).

The thing is, I take a mix of these courses and enjoy them.... I also take upper level courses related to my degree and enjoy them as well.

Take what you enjoy... your mental happiness is something to consider. If you butcher yourself with crazy courses and are constantly stressed out all year that's no better. Take a mix of courses you find interesting and those that will allow you to keep a reasonable workload so you can do things other than study.

While I had History of Catastrophic Events this year I also took a 4th year Speech Pathology and Audiology elective course that I really interested in.

The short answer to my long rant? I recommend a balance of what you enjoy and what you can handle.

Don't deprive your entire degree by picking every course you believe to be easy. On the other hand don't be a martyr under the guise of academic integrity. An undergraduate degree now a days is a way to learn something you enjoy but for most of us is ultimately a vehicle to graduate studies and professional schools.

A word of caution on 'easy' courses: they might be easy in the past, but due to change of curriculum or professor might no longer be considered easy. Also, you might end up getting a higher mark in 'tougher' courses because you are likely to study more/learn more, and esp in upper years the class is smaller=more interactions with the prof=prof is happier=gives you better mark=you are happier.

And remember, university is, after all, there for you to obtain an education while you mature and to prepare you for your future life, for a career. So, you take bird courses and if you don't get into medicine, you have become what you and your parents don't want for you, literally a "good for nothing". Medicine is challenging and hard, for life. If you train yourself for bird courses now, you may end up with a bird brain. Personally, with the exception of 2 electives, all my courses are challenging, difficult and I need to work very very hard to achieve my As and occasional A+s. I am getting a good education, have no social life and am preparing myself for another career in the event I do not achieve my dream. I do not want to come away with nothing, not prepared for a career, not accepted in medicine and then, years later, pull up my socks and become educated. Good luck in whatever you decide.

To the OP:

there are many roads to Rome. Bottom line is take courses that you have some interest in, and in those semesters where you know you will be taking some heavy courses (that you are interested in!), try to find some classes that different, but not based on whether or not they have less of a pull on your time.

I think the key here is balance. Know your workload, know how much downtime you need during a semester to keep your marks in top shape, and choose your courses from there. Always talk to departmental advisor/upper years/grad students/TAs for advice if you are unsure about any courses.

Good luck!

Edit:

Lmao :D

I want to know what trick you used.

I was advised when I was first starting my B.Sc. to take the easier first level physics course and math course because my plan was to go into biology. Fancy my surprise when I ended up in chemistry/physics doing a math minor and never looked back. I simply love the hard sciences. I loved the vast majority of my undergrad, and the more challenging and "mathy" of a course, the more I loved it. My GPA took some hits, but it was by far worth it. My advice to you is take a challenging course Pass/Fail if you can, but try to study what you want to study. The knowledge you gain now will help you in the future (there is much complicated physics going on behind physiological processes), and will make you really value a four year period of your life. A firm grasp of physical concepts (as well as statistics) is something a lot of doctors are lacking today.

Furthermore, lets say medschool doesn't pan out, you'll have a degree with which you are passionate about that you can either pursue or apply.

Edit:

LOL... you should have seen the shocked looked on my face when I saw your post!!

Do it, take the physics. Do the things you enjoy and for which you have a passion!

There are times when these forums make me so frustrated. It's all these students hell-bent on going to medical school and feeling like they have to sacrifice everything else that matters to them in order to do so. We think, A + B + C = medical school admission, A being GPA, B being volunteering at a hospital, etc.

The irony is that medical schools keep saying that, above all, they like well-rounded applicants, applicants that stand out, that make the admissions committee sit up and take notice. Yet we all keep trying to do the same A + B + C.

To Narwhal, take the physics. If that's your interest, do it. You'll be happier for taking something you enjoy and how many med students do you think come in with a minor in physics? That's something different, that's your thing. Own it.

Archived