Premed 101 Forums

Interview Emails Are Out!

I spoke to someone from the committee and she told me that she doesn't give high marks for international volunteering because she considers it as a vacation. She suggested I volunteer in my community.

I was told by someone on the adcom at Ottawa to imagine someone marking the sketch and giving points based on committment and quality of service. We'll find out very soon if this worked out...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true, people who are bilingual have an edge over other applicants. They said it somewhere on their admissions. Seeing all of you being rejected with killer ABS, I start to wonder who in the world are actually getting the interviews?? 550 Olympic Athletes??

Rejected: reason ABS,

GPA 3.85

I spoke to someone from the committee and she told me that she doesn't give high marks for international volunteering because she considers it as a vacation. She suggested I volunteer in my community.

What nonsense.

If this actually happened, it's absurd that Ottawa lets such biased people on their committee.

They should judge each experience on an indivual basis.

I wonder if this committee member also feels that Olympic athletes get low mark because that's also just a vacation and a frivolous hobby.

What nonsense.

If this actually happened, it's absurd that Ottawa lets such biased people on their committee.

They should judge each experience on an indivual basis.

I wonder if this committee member also feels that Olympic athletes get low mark because that's also just a vacation and a frivolous hobby.

I second that. If it is true, I find that judgment to be arbitrary.

I was told by someone on the adcom at Ottawa to imagine someone marking the sketch and giving points based on committment and quality of service. We'll find out very soon if this worked out...

Although I do not agree with an application being looked down upon due to international volunteering experience...I do agree that commitment and quality of service should be of the utmost value

why should helping out in a foreign country for one month negate 5 years of dedicated service in your local community? Both have their rewards and learning experiences, but long term volunteering for a given organization (for ex) shows dedication and a genuine care for the group...not an attempt to bolster one's application (disclaimer: I am not suggesting that all people volunteer internationally for the sole purpose of bettering their resume...I do believe there are still some good people out there with the right intentions in mind)

Although I do not agree with an application being looked down upon due to international volunteering experience...I do agree that commitment and quality of service should be of the utmost value

why should helping out in a foreign country for one month negate 5 years of dedicated service in your local community? Both have their rewards and learning experiences, but long term volunteering for a given organization (for ex) shows dedication and a genuine care for the group

Yes this is what she was saying. I just got lucky to get some advice!

If I have learned anything from this process, it's that these application require a bit of luck...it seems to be a crap shoot at times

I have a friend with a 3.7 GPA and low 30 MCAT who received an invite to med schools in Ontario and another with a high 30s MCAT and 3.95 GPA being rejected...both are great people and with equally impressive extracurriculars... and both deserve to be physicians IMO....but the latter especially....something is evidently wrong with the process

I realize Im preaching to the choir...and that many before me have said the same thing...just wanted to vent a bit I suppose

It actually is true. I had a friend who had a 4.0 GPA through all years, finished top of his class, had research experience, significant volunteer experience throughout his HS and University time. He got offers from 3 different schools, interviews from 4 and declined an interview to 3. He exceeded all requirements at every school by a wide margin. A lot of it is pure luck sometimes and the best you can do is apply to a few schools and make yourself competitive.

sorry but international volunteering = resume padding....

trips to africa = resume padding

it is at the point that trips to africa for volunteering are as cliche as "its not you its me"

although I dont condone such padding and will never participate in it...it seems to work in many cases...it's quite disappointing and doesnt give you much confidence in the selection process...no one is perfect I suppose

yes, i also made the cutoff but not the sketch...i am very confused as to how I couldnt make the sketch cutoff (1st author publication in journal, wrote a chapter for a text book, 2 1st author abstracts, won medals at world championships in my sport, volunteered over 200hrs helping homeless people with HIV, clinition observership, major external fellowship etc.etc.etc.)

Good luck to others.

although I dont condone such padding and will never participate in it...it seems to work in many cases...it's quite disappointing and doesnt give you much confidence in the selection process...no one is perfect I suppose

I've got to say, the reason I never did one of those "3rd world overseas" volunteer trips was because I thought it would make me feel guilty. Paying super high flight fees, staying in some place for a month to help and experience some things is hard for me to consider personally. I feel I made a difference in my local volunteer endeavors, and the amount I would have paid for flights to the overseas location might have been more useful as a donation anyways...

I think it depends on what you decided to do in your international volunteering. And whether its the only travelling you have ever done.

If the only time you have left Canada was to save starving kids in Africa, they might question why you decided to volunteer overseas and if your heart was really in it. If the country you visited was the 10th country in your life that you have seen and travelling is on your list of favourite things to do, its shows a little bit more of your character.

Or atleast, thats how I would look at it is a committee member.

yes, i also made the cutoff but not the sketch...i am very confused as to how I couldnt make the sketch cutoff (1st author publication in journal, wrote a chapter for a text book, 2 1st author abstracts, won medals at world championships in my sport, volunteered over 200hrs helping homeless people with HIV, clinition observership, major external fellowship etc.etc.etc.)

Good luck to others.

When was your email sent or time stamped for that matter

Oof. What's wrong with the admissions committee??! Are you an undergrad or grad student?

(... Still no email for me, but not optimistic. I don't make the 3.85 cut-off.) :S

Archived