Premed 101 Forums

MSc/Post-bacc etc: completely confused!

Hello,

So I've been trying to read through a bunch of threads in the past few days on this forum and also on the studentdoctornetwork forum.

Can anybody clarify some of these points for me:

1) How do Canadian med schools look at the US post-bacc programs? Would the post-bacc GPA be considered separately from the undergraduate GPA?

2) Is it true that Canadian schools only look at thesis-based MSc degrees? I've been reading some contradictory information, some say that med schools like to see course-based MSc degrees to show that you can handle the coursework, as opposed to doing research for a thesis (which is not that applicable to med school).

Lastly, does anybody have any opinions on what I should do next? I anticipate graduating with a 3.1 or 3.2 GPA. I've been accepted to MSc Pharmaceutical Sciences at UBC, and Health Economics at York (in the UK). I'm waiting on a reply from MSc International Health Policy at LHSTM, but I've recently been compelled to try and figure out if I can pursue medicine somehow, which led me to discovering all the US post-bacc programs which seem to be highly effective at getting students into US med schools. I'm not sure whether I prefer to stay in Canada/go to the US, so it would be great if the post-bacc would benefit me either way.

Any opinions? Thanks (in advance)!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot really answer these questions, but I suggest you email each school individually and ask...

I all know is that...they wont even look at undergrad courses I took when I was in grad school..bc its not listed in the proper section when determing my cumGPA..so im guessthing they probably would not even consider it (but again ask...i would also be interested in what they say)

it just seems like if u dont do 5 courses for 4 years as a registered undergrad they dont look at anything else...

i think majority do, but hard to say when some schools dont accept international students....like temple..where they have direct admission to medschool if u complete the post-bacc...but they dont accept international students..

id email and ask...

i think something like this needs to be brought to canada....plus it would be good money for the school

Archived