Premed 101 Forums

Pet Peeve of the Day

Mine would be people saying "Your family is done now!" when they see me with my kids--just because I recently had a baby boy. WTF? Why do people assume I'm finished having kids because I "got my boy".

I also don't like people saying "had them kinda close, didn't ya?" --they are about 3yrs apart. Didn't people have about 15 kids under the age of 14 not too long ago?

Hmmm...let's see...people making left turns in front of me, or cutting me off in traffic without a signal light.

And numero uno: People who continue to purchase lotto ticket after lotto ticket after lotto ticket when I'm waiting to pay for my gas. Each purchase is a separate transaction--get back in line!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pet Peeve of the Day (and Week):

I've been driving up and down the 401 everyday this week. My observation: people who drive "luxury" cars (especially BMWs), seem to feel the need to drive like a candidate for anger management/ therapy. My favourite incident was someone talking on a cell, speeding, driving right up to the rear of the car in front, weaving in and out of traffic, and changing lanes without signalling. Ugh!

Serious pet peeve!

Pet Peeve: When I order a tea at Tim Hortons, I get two milk and two sugar. I ask for this politely, and the lady at the till always asks, "You mean a double-double?"

NO. I don't mean a double-double. A double-double is two CREAM and two sugar. :( I don't want the extra calories.

"Yes, please... a double-double with milk." >__O

And numero uno: People who continue to purchase lotto ticket after lotto ticket after lotto ticket when I'm waiting to pay for my gas. Each purchase is a separate transaction--get back in line!

TRUE. TRUE.

Ugh. I want to punch them in the back of the head. "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN ANYWAY SO LET ME LEAVE."

My pet peeve is cabbies who talk too much. I had one today who kept telling me about shlt no one in their right mind would care about.

45 year old cabby: So, The new Tiger Woods game came out for xbox.

Me: ... OK.

45YOC: You can be Sergio Garcia in this one. You weren't able to be him in the other ones.

Me: I see...

45YOC: Also, you can play on pebble beach. Did you know that course costs 425 a round? That's about a month's worth of meds for my wife! Also, did you know the think Micheal Jackson died of an overdose?

Me: (looks out window for rest of the ride).

1.) When people abruptly stop walking to think in a really crowded, busy place, as if they are oblivious to the rapid traffic coming behind them.

2.) When people hold the elevator door open so they can talk to their friends down the hall, as people are waiting for it on other floors.

3.) People at the MUN QE2 library who take the elevator from the 2nd to the 3rd floor

4.) People who take the elevator DOWN on a regular basis (2-3 flights).

5.) When people bring their bratty children to Tim Horton's and they pull themselves up onto the counter and kick the glass with their huge boots and order like 6 different kinds of timbits and then change their minds.

6.) Double cupping at Tim Horton's

7.) When the girl at Tim Horton's won't give you a chance to roll up to win when you bring your own mug because you saved 11 cents from their save-the-environment program and thus, not paying the full price of a coffee, don't deserve a chance to win. Little does she know we live in ****ing Canada where you need to have a license to have your own lottery, and that you can send postage to the Tim's head office and they will send you a free contest cup as every contest in Canada is "no purchase necessary".

8.) When people show up at Tim Horton's with a list of 12 coffees. Like seriously, if I had've known the line was theoretically 12 people longer than it should be, I wouldn't have bothered waiting.

9.) How the Tim Horton's at the hospital I work at won't sell bagels due to "Occupational Health and Safety violations" ...... wtf

10.) Employees at Tim Horton's who are part of a union and work under minimal supervision and thus go as slow as they please.

11.) The fact that employees at the Tim Horton's in the hospital I work at now give out RECEIPTS...

12.) When you order a green tea at Tim Horton's and they ask if you want it black. (I get the concept but it's just a silly thing to say).

13.) When employees at retail/food places have lengthy conversations about going downtown on the weekend when you are waiting to be served and they know that.

14.) When you order a beer at a bar that is $4.75 and you give her a $10, but instead of getting back a $5 and a quarter she gives you 5 loonies and a quarter in hopes that you will tip her more than 25 cents for twisting a top off of an overpriced beer.

TRUE. TRUE.

Ugh. I want to punch them in the back of the head. "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN ANYWAY SO LET ME LEAVE."

Lol...I know. My son was carsick today and I had to wait 5 min for some LOL to purchase her $5 winnings worth of tickets, over and over and over. Why do you buy them if you don't keep your winnings?

1.) When people abruptly stop walking to think in a really crowded, busy place, as if they are oblivious to the rapid traffic coming behind them.

2.) When people hold the elevator door open so they can talk to their friends down the hall, as people are waiting for it on other floors.

3.) People at the MUN QE2 library who take the elevator from the 2nd to the 3rd floor

4.) People who take the elevator DOWN on a regular basis (2-3 flights).

5.) When people bring their bratty children to Tim Horton's and they pull themselves up onto the counter and kick the glass with their huge boots and order like 6 different kinds of timbits and then change their minds.

6.) Double cupping at Tim Horton's

7.) When the girl at Tim Horton's won't give you a chance to roll up to win when you bring your own mug because you saved 11 cents from their save-the-environment program and thus, not paying the full price of a coffee, don't deserve a chance to win. Little does she know we live in ****ing Canada where you need to have a license to have your own lottery, and that you can send postage to the Tim's head office and they will send you a free contest cup as every contest in Canada is "no purchase necessary".

8.) When people show up at Tim Horton's with a list of 12 coffees. Like seriously, if I had've known the line was theoretically 12 people longer than it should be, I wouldn't have bothered waiting.

9.) How the Tim Horton's at the hospital I work at won't sell bagels due to "Occupational Health and Safety violations" ...... wtf

10.) Employees at Tim Horton's who are part of a union and work under minimal supervision and thus go as slow as they please.

11.) The fact that employees at the Tim Horton's in the hospital I work at now give out RECEIPTS...

12.) When you order a green tea at Tim Horton's and they ask if you want it black. (I get the concept but it's just a silly thing to say).

13.) When employees at retail/food places have lengthy conversations about going downtown on the weekend when you are waiting to be served and they know that.

14.) When you order a beer at a bar that is $4.75 and you give her a $10, but instead of getting back a $5 and a quarter she gives you 5 loonies and a quarter in hopes that you will tip her more than 25 cents for twisting a top off of an overpriced beer.

Got a lot of Timmy problems, eh?

Pet Peeve: When I order a tea at Tim Hortons, I get two milk and two sugar. I ask for this politely, and the lady at the till always asks, "You mean a double-double?"

NO. I don't mean a double-double. A double-double is two CREAM and two sugar. :( I don't want the extra calories.

"Yes, please... a double-double with milk." >__O

That's my order too, and what happens to me is they often stop listening halfway through and once they hear me say "milk" assume I must also want sweetener. NO I DON'T WANT SWEETENER, IT GIVES ME A STOMACH ACHE. Or else they'll just give me coffee. Good god.

Or the worst at Tim Horton's is that if you order a sandwich and they don't have the requisite ingredients to make it, they'll just make something else and not tell you. So for example, if I order a ham & swiss with no tomato and no sauce, I'll end up with a turkey bacon club with everything on it. Thanks guys, that's great.

Followup on my post from yesterday, and perhaps a better example of my pet peeve, here are a few actual excerpts from a convo I had with my driver today:

Setting: Somewhere between the rural area outside Fredericton and the student ghetto next to campus (part way through a conversation)

50 year old lady cabby: ... and that's why you're going to need one of those big iron tripod pots when you're slaughtering a turkey. It's possible to just string up a chicken and let it bleed out, but if you're going to kill a big ol' turkey, you'll need a pot of cold water to put it in after you cut its head off. The cold water opens up the veins.

Me: So that's what you're doing this weekend?

50YOLC: Nope, I slaughtered all my turkeys a few weeks ago, but we've got another batch growing up right now. What are you doing this weekend, young man?

Me: I'm going biking, and then camping.

50YOLC: Sirree, I'm some jealous of you. I was camping a little while ago down by Oromocto, and you wouldn't believe the setup we've got. My boyfriend has a van, and in the back we've got a regular mattress with a memory foam mattress on top of it. I have disabilities, so I have a hard time sleeping, and my boyfriend snores like crazy! When I'm on that memory foam mattress, I sleep like a baby though, and we've got an electrical outlet in the van, so we set up a TV, put a VCR on top of it, and we just live the life for the weekend.

Me: Ok.

I enjoy doing a lot of the things that cabbies talk about, I just don't want to discuss things with them. A lot of the times they're phucking weird, so why don't they just drive me where I'm paying them to drive me to, and then go about their business? I tip the same regardless, unless they talk about ridiculous stuff (see above), and then I don't tip.

Followup on my post from yesterday, and perhaps a better example of my pet peeve, here are a few actual excerpts from a convo I had with my driver today:

Setting: Somewhere between the rural area outside Fredericton and the student ghetto next to campus (part way through a conversation)

50 year old lady cabby: ... and that's why you're going to need one of those big iron tripod pots when you're slaughtering a turkey. It's possible to just string up a chicken and let it bleed out, but if you're going to kill a big ol' turkey, you'll need a pot of cold water to put it in after you cut its head off. The cold water opens up the veins.

Me: So that's what you're doing this weekend?

50YOLC: Nope, I slaughtered all my turkeys a few weeks ago, but we've got another batch growing up right now. What are you doing this weekend, young man?

Me: I'm going biking, and then camping.

50YOLC: Sirree, I'm some jealous of you. I was camping a little while ago down by Oromocto, and you wouldn't believe the setup we've got. My boyfriend has a van, and in the back we've got a regular mattress with a memory foam mattress on top of it. I have disabilities, so I have a hard time sleeping, and my boyfriend snores like crazy! When I'm on that memory foam mattress, I sleep like a baby though, and we've got an electrical outlet in the van, so we set up a TV, put a VCR on top of it, and we just live the life for the weekend.

Me: Ok.

I enjoy doing a lot of the things that cabbies talk about, I just don't want to discuss things with them. A lot of the times they're phucking weird, so why don't they just drive me where I'm paying them to drive me to, and then go about their business? I tip the same regardless, unless they talk about ridiculous stuff (see above), and then I don't tip.

heh, do you usually sit in the front beside the cabby or in the back seats?

perhaps they're just lonely and want some interactions throughout the day? I know it would drive me nuts to sit in a car all day and drive people around. They might also feel weird just sitting there in silence (though a radio could solve that, but then what if the fair-payer doesn't like the station and the cabbie doesn't like the station the fair-payer wants and has to endure it since thats how the money comes in).

Archived