Premed 101 Forums

Premed Horror Stories

QuestionMark

Does anyone have any horror stories about "rabid" Premeds and what they have done that have made you go "wow" in order for them to get "the upper hand"?

Here's one a friend told me: Her aunt (now a doctor) was a premed at U of T back when typewriters were used (therefore no backups). She spent a week doing a report for a course only to have her dorm room broken into and her report stolen. It found a few days later in the trash... with half of it burnt off (yes, someone actually set it on fire). This course was almost completely filled with premeds, so someone was obviously VERY desperate.

Another one: My sister was walking to the lecture hall to talk to the professor (another mostly premed class, except she wasn't premed) and a student was frantically trying to beat her to the professor. The student purposely knocked over the stuff my sister was carrying and bolted to the professor. Luckily the prof saw it all unfold and told the student to get the hell out.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard second hand rumors from the health sciences program of laptop batteries stolen, bacterial cultures contaminated, and every kind of lab sabotage you can imagine.

Apparently it's more of a problem in health sciences than the biological sciences, since nearly every single person in health science is aiming for med.

my friend stole some things from the back-packs of a group of students who wouldn't STFU, lol. So when they left for a break - with all their stuff layed out on the table, he stole some CDs...no sabotaging though. this was at the library.

I will admit - I've been tempted to sabotage loud obnoxious douchebags at the library :o haven't done it yet and i don't think i will ever be tempted to do so anymore since i'm no longer on the undergrad treadmill anymore...

one guy i know would steal assignments under the noses of the TAs, copy the answers, and then would hand back the assignment late or never at all - and this wasn't b/c he was a premed gunner (he was like a sub 2.0 GPA), he was just malicious.

Apparently it's more of a problem in health sciences than the biological sciences, since nearly every single person in health science is aiming for med.

Well, that is determination I tell ya...Probably will become chiefs of whatever department they choose :D :D . I just don't want to be classmates with such people. Treat me? SUuuuure!

Not premed, but my father ran into something equally sinister when he was going to medschool at U of T. They did anatomy exams using a rotating station format, where you had X minutes to identify the parts of an organ or limb or whatever which had a given number of coloured pins stuck in them. Once the timer went you moved to the next station, presumably having provided an anatomical definition for the area each of the pins was placed into. Apparently at one point at least there was an issue where a student (or more) would actually change the placement of the pins after they had finished at a given station, such that anyone who followed them would at best provide the correct answer but record it under the wrong colour due to the sabotage.

I suppose the moral is that there are some very unscrupulous people vying for (and succeeding in attaining) spots in medical school, and you will not be rid of premed shenanigans upon gaining acceptance yourself.

Well back then they still had the Pass with Honours thing I suppose... maybe even number grades?

I've experienced the pin thing in my anatomy labs. Our prof sent us an email telling us that it was a form of academic dishonesty and anyone caught doing it again would be severely penalized.

my friend stole some things from the back-packs of a group of students who wouldn't STFU, lol. So when they left for a break - with all their stuff layed out on the table, he stole some CDs...no sabotaging though. this was at the library.

he could have done more hilarious things to their bags imo. ie dropping a deuce inside.

Not premed, but my father ran into something equally sinister when he was going to medschool at U of T. They did anatomy exams using a rotating station format, where you had X minutes to identify the parts of an organ or limb or whatever which had a given number of coloured pins stuck in them. Once the timer went you moved to the next station, presumably having provided an anatomical definition for the area each of the pins was placed into. Apparently at one point at least there was an issue where a student (or more) would actually change the placement of the pins after they had finished at a given station, such that anyone who followed them would at best provide the correct answer but record it under the wrong colour due to the sabotage.

I suppose the moral is that there are some very unscrupulous people vying for (and succeeding in attaining) spots in medical school, and you will not be rid of premed shenanigans upon gaining acceptance yourself.

Interesting. Any touching the pins equals auto-fail today.

Generally, I think things were a lil' more hardcore back in the day. My class doesn't compete with each other yet we are known to compete with ourselves. :P

Actually, around exams there is very much a group effort. Your inbox can become flooded with people sharing study materials.

Interesting. Any touching the pins equals auto-fail today.

Generally, I think things were a lil' more hardcore back in the day. My class doesn't compete with each other yet we are known to compete with ourselves. :P

Actually, around exams there is very much a group effort. Your inbox can become flooded with people sharing study materials.

That's nice to hear. Overall it sounds like medical school was a fair bit more cliquey back in the 60's. I guess when all you need to do to get in is two years of premed and fill out a questionnaire you don't appreciate where you are quite as much.

edit: And to clarify, there was no Pass/Fail grading system at that time. You received a numerical grade on your performance at U of T medschool back then.

sometimes if people ask me for lecture notes, i take out important parts and send it to them

I hope you're kidding. If not, I despise that kind of ****. At the end of the day, wouldn't you feel more morally content knowing you got yourself into medical school because you were generally better than the competition, rather than just tweaking others GPA's lower than yours?

I don't understand how someone can do a thing like that and want to be a doctor, unless of course their reasoning is prestige or $$$

I hope you're kidding. If not, I despise that kind of ****. At the end of the day, wouldn't you feel more morally content knowing you got yourself into medical school because you were generally better than the competition, rather than just tweaking others GPA's lower than yours?

I don't understand how someone can do a thing like that and want to be a doctor, unless of course their reasoning is prestige or $$$

nah bro, i am kidding. but i've felt like it at times. i.e. we all know the kid who sleeps in for every 8:30AM class and then asks you for your semester's notes before the final.

Archived