Premed 101 Forums

Premed Horror Stories

QuestionMark

You think these kinds of premeds are better than you to defend an ethic question ?

I can't answer for you, but I guess most people can do better.

I don't think "nice people" have an advantage on that sort of question actually - anyone can read doing right and create a consistent logical strategy for answering ethical questions.

I think the problem is more the other types - sometimes you have work in a team on the test, sometimes you have to council someone....personally I think these are they harder questions for high strung students :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sexist, though I do think there is a correlation.

I haven't seen any of these crazy premeds yet, but "high marks" girls tend to be on defensive when they learn I'm going to apply in medicine. They hide their results, refuse to be helped, say they would fail, but gets 90s, etc. Boys tend to enjoy the competition (even if I don't), and have no trouble correcting each others.

totally agree with this. i've had experience with girls who are like that and i honestly enjoy competing and telling ppl my marks in good fun, but others take it seriously

I'm not sexist, though I do think there is a correlation.

I haven't seen any of these crazy premeds yet, but "high marks" girls tend to be on defensive when they learn I'm going to apply in medicine. They hide their results, refuse to be helped, say they would fail, but gets 90s, etc. Boys tend to enjoy the competition (even if I don't), and have no trouble correcting each others.

yep this is true... had this experience myself :P haha.. usually fun and games between guys

Talked to another friend the other day. This one is probably up there: on a table near where the exam (of a premed course) was supposed to be taken, there was a pan of brownies just sitting on a table with a sign that said "Take one". People did. Turns out there was laxatives in there. Since there was only enough for 20-30 people, those people had to get up in the middle of it and rush to the washroom. Also, there were around 300 people in this course, so the head honchos weren't willing to let them take a make-up exam. My friend said that some people thought it was a prank, but apparently this course was known for this kind of extreme sabotage.

......extreme sabotage.

Life has a way of balancing itself out and giving its own rewards. Creeps who cheat/act unethical won't stop and sooner or later they get caught in life. I made a deal to sell texts at a fair price to a student who was going to take my courses. He showed up at my home the day before classes began and demanded a hefty reduction in price, explaining to me that it was now too late for me to sell to any other student and I had no choice. I simply stared this dishonest, unethical cockroach down and told him "you will definitely be a failure in life with your ethics, I will give my texts away gladly rather than deal with the likes of you, you unethical b...ard" and slammed the door in his face. For openers, he had to buy new texts at full price, he lost access to my course notes and I spread the word of his unethical actions, thereby giving him the rep on campus that he deserves. He has thus far outsmarted himself. Heaven forbid that he gets into medicine.

I just find it hard to understand why people do these things. I know that it happens unfortunately, but from a more logical perspective (or what I see as one) why would you put the time and effort to lower one or two dozen people around you when you could be bettering your own on application? Most of these stories/actions include a heavy investment in time and effort. There's thousands of applicants out there screwing over a few doesn't help your odds as much as improving your application (imo).

And then there's the ethical reasons too!

Talked to another friend the other day. This one is probably up there: on a table near where the exam (of a premed course) was supposed to be taken, there was a pan of brownies just sitting on a table with a sign that said "Take one". People did. Turns out there was laxatives in there. Since there was only enough for 20-30 people, those people had to get up in the middle of it and rush to the washroom. Also, there were around 300 people in this course, so the head honchos weren't willing to let them take a make-up exam. My friend said that some people thought it was a prank, but apparently this course was known for this kind of extreme sabotage.

Hahahaha that's pretty funny

Life has a way of balancing itself out and giving its own rewards. Creeps who cheat/act unethical won't stop and sooner or later they get caught in life. I made a deal to sell texts at a fair price to a student who was going to take my courses. He showed up at my home the day before classes began and demanded a hefty reduction in price, explaining to me that it was now too late for me to sell to any other student and I had no choice. I simply stared this dishonest, unethical cockroach down and told him "you will definitely be a failure in life with your ethics, I will give my texts away gladly rather than deal with the likes of you, you unethical b...ard" and slammed the door in his face. For openers, he had to buy new texts at full price, he lost access to my course notes and I spread the word of his unethical actions, thereby giving him the rep on campus that he deserves. He has thus far outsmarted himself. Heaven forbid that he gets into medicine.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOoL

negotiating is one thing, but that's a bit extreme

A friend of mine, she got into Optometry school and she's doing her last semester and in her 3rd year Microbio course, some kid snatched the title page off her lab report and switched it with his. She came back and complained, and because she looked through the stack of lab reports now SHE is being accused of plagiarism and her mark is being withheld. That's the last credit she needs to graduate. Pretty harsh. We're privileged to be alive, to even have a chance at a medical education (considering only 1% of the world's population gets an education beyond a high school degree), don't be ungrateful...

A friend of mine, she got into Optometry school and she's doing her last semester and in her 3rd year Microbio course, some kid snatched the title page off her lab report and switched it with his. She came back and complained, and because she looked through the stack of lab reports now SHE is being accused of plagiarism and her mark is being withheld. That's the last credit she needs to graduate. Pretty harsh. We're privileged to be alive, to even have a chance at a medical education (considering only 1% of the world's population gets an education beyond a high school degree), don't be ungrateful...

She did what she had to do under the circumstances. She should go to the Dean, the Ombudsman and should fight. Her record speaks for itself and they are putting her future into jeopardy without evidence or due process. She has a valid rfeason for looking thru the stack of lab reports and how does this relate to plagiarism. She is the victim, not the perpetrator. In fact, she may need a lawyer to make her case quickly, evenif her family needs to pay for it. If the right lawyer handles it in a practical manner, the univ. will back down. She would have a potential lawsuit for damages if they follow thru on their actions so far.

This story is not so much about sabotaging others..

In my anatomy class, we had the chance to review our practical exams to check for errors in marking. Some scribbled their answers out and wrote the correct one, then went to the prof to complain. Obviously the prof wasn't stupid and he had photocopied everyone's exam before we reviewed them. Pretty sure they got 0 on that exam.

Justice is served sometimes.

Yea, I'm not sure about elsewhere but I know that at york photocopying tests is common practice for most courses. We have to write our math tests in pen, since the pencil doesn't show up well when photocopied...

And as for the girl with the optometry situation. Wow, that sucks. If i were in her situation, I would definitely take that up as far as I could. The dean, lawyers, even get media coverage if I could. (Silverman helps FTW!!!)

In my anatomy class, we had the chance to review our practical exams to check for errors in marking. Some scribbled their answers out and wrote the correct one, then went to the prof to complain. Obviously the prof wasn't stupid and he had photocopied everyone's exam before we reviewed them. Pretty sure they got 0 on that exam.

This, incidentally, shows the advantage of pass/fail after a certain point.

As a TA, I hear these kinds of stories all the time. My favourite has got to be the group of friends who tried a similar stunt in *every single one* of their classes one term. They would get back their midterms, scan them, photoshop in/out comments and marks, and then print them and return to the profs saying that they must have 'added up wrong.' Needless to say, they were caught and I think suspended from university.

O SNAP. 10 char.

hahaha this posting reminds me of a post on the ottawa u forum last yr for ppl who were waitlisted...there was this one person (I completely forget their user name) who was so extremely persistent. They would literally stalk the discussion board, by the minute, with questions, concerns, freak outs, etc and every time someone would post that they got a spot off the waitlist, they would harrass the person for their stats...it came the point of where this person was being called crazy and ppl were treating them like a joke...

they were sooo intense lol, I wonder if this person ever got in....hmmm??!!

Hopeful_med something I happned to read that old post and laughed at that person first then thinking I might be like that too when I were in his situation....

Sounds like he was just trying to get a deal. I don't think you needed to berate him the way you did. Freaking out makes you no better than him. Who wants to work with someone who is on the verge of jumping down your throat whenever he thinks you are not being up to his standards? This is not the way to deal with actions that you consider unethical. Especially when it is something as puny as textbook prices. I could be wrong about you future_doc. I'm hoping you are not the morality Gestapo all the time. I just think your reaction to this student was a bit uppity.

Sounds like he was just trying to get a deal. I don't think you needed to berate him the way you did. Freaking out makes you no better than him. Who wants to work with someone who is on the verge of jumping down your throat whenever he thinks you are not being up to his standards? This is not the way to deal with actions that you consider unethical. Especially when it is something as puny as textbook prices. I could be wrong about you future_doc. I'm hoping you are not the morality Gestapo all the time. I just think your reaction to this student was a bit uppity.

how would you like it if someone comes to your own home and tells you that you have no other option than to lower the prices for him, saying its too late to sell it to anyone else? i know i would be pissed

As a TA, I hear these kinds of stories all the time. My favourite has got to be the group of friends who tried a similar stunt in *every single one* of their classes one term. They would get back their midterms, scan them, photoshop in/out comments and marks, and then print them and return to the profs saying that they must have 'added up wrong.' Needless to say, they were caught and I think suspended from university.

Nice! Cheating taken to the next level, and still an epic fail. LOL.

Oh, off topic but similar to cheating and is kind of a horror story for me. I had to do interviews at the end of term to evaluate the students' performance in the labs, but stupid me I ignored advice from my friend from OSIE and closed the door to do the interviews. So this kid comes in and puts his cell phone down on the table. I didn't think much of it. Then he tries to bribe me for marks. I laugh because there is no way he could pay me enough (~$1000) to even make me consider it. But I played along for fun, though I never agreed to any bribery scheme. At the end he plays back the entire conversation that he recorded on his cell phone back to me. I was like "you got nothing :P", LOL. He didn't try to do anything after that, but just out of spite he resubmitted everything I marked back for remarking. Oh and he somehow got a hold of my cell # and prank-called me a few times, which I don't really care about.

how would you like it if someone comes to your own home and tells you that you have no other option than to lower the prices for him, saying its too late to sell it to anyone else? i know i would be pissed

I would have 2 choices. Negotiate prices or don't. Why in the world would I be angry?

Oh, off topic but similar to cheating and is kind of a horror story for me. I had to do interviews at the end of term to evaluate the students' performance in the labs, but stupid me I ignored advice from my friend from OSIE and closed the door to do the interviews. So this kid comes in and puts his cell phone down on the table. I didn't think much of it. Then he tries to bribe me for marks. I laugh because there is no way he could pay me enough (~$1000) to even make me consider it. But I played along for fun, though I never agreed to any bribery scheme. At the end he plays back the entire conversation that he recorded on his cell phone back to me. I was like "you got nothing :P", LOL. He didn't try to do anything after that, but just out of spite he resubmitted everything I marked back for remarking. Oh and he somehow got a hold of my cell # and prank-called me a few times, which I don't really care about.

Wow. Thats brazen!

LOL! I had the opposite happen to me. I agreed to buy a text book at a certain price. Then 3 days before we were to do the exchange the seller decided to start a bidding war on the text book that I had already agreed to buy from her! I had to pay $10 over what we originally agreed to. Another time I was supposed to buy this text book off a person, who had me AND another person meet her in the same spot at the same time to start a bidding war. I was like "F this" and just left. Luckily I meet with my friend 5 mins. later who happened to be selling the exact same text book but his buyer didn't show up, so I got it off him for the price I was originally going to pay :).

Archived