Premed 101 Forums

Premed Horror Stories

QuestionMark

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard my share of stories too.

At first, I thought they were a hoax, but when something terrible happened to a very good friend of mine (who isn't aiming for med btw) I realized that they are indeed legit.

Sorry for the "bible", but I assure you that these stories are very juicy.

At my CEGEP, about 90% of the 600+ Health Sciences students are aiming for Med. And boy, I've heard stories. They can be cruel, cutthroat, and just plain nasty. Warning: The following discusses some disturbing subject matter. Reader discretion is advised .

Scenario 1:

This happened to a very good friend of mine. A rabid (love your use of the word!) premed-wannabe befriended him at the beginning of the year, and one day she insisted they compare answers on the assignment. She continuously told him his answers were wrong, despite his insistence of the contrary. She got the highest grades in the class, and insisted she won the Governor General in high school (he later found out she did not) and so he let her convince him. This friend of mine is extremely trusting, sweet, and naive, thinking that like him, everyone is out to help one another (now HE should be going into med rather than those uber-competitive, nasty, money-hungry, parent-pleasing, conniving little scumbags, unfortunately he does not have the grades...) It turns out, he failed the assignment, and all the questions the girl insisted were right were wrong. When they got back their assigments, the girl was grinning smugly at him, with her perfect score.

Scenario 2: This happened in my other friend's class:

When time was up for the first chemistry midterm, the students were asked to pass their tests along their row with the final person in the row handing the pile of tests to the prof. A girl in that class, who must have been convinced she had failed, wrote the name of the top student in the class on her test. This student was in her row, and when the student's test was passed to her, she erased his name and wrote her own. She ended up with a 98, while he got a 57, and the professor had no proof to justify his claim as it was only the first midterm and the prof was unaware of the individual capacities of the students at the time. The little brat ended up getting into Premed - I have no idea how, but she did, which goes to show the disgusting reality of cutthroat competition - let the biggest ***** win.

Scenario 3:

This actually happened to me.

I was sitting in the auditorium, getting debriefed about the First Aid Team selection process (since half of the health science students see first aid as their ticket to premed, competition for a spot on the team is fierce!)

I was discussing with some friends the reason why I chose ArtSci over Healthsci because I hate competition and I believe that we should all help each other towards the common good. In my program everyone wants something different out of life. You have the strongest students in the school, those who could finish 2 degrees instead of one in the same amount of time. A (perhaps jealous?) Health science student who was sitting in front of us turned around and said: "People like you never get into med school. You have to sabotage people in order to get ahead, there is simply too much competition for you to think you could succeed on YOUR brains alone. So I'd quit while your ahead," or something along the lines of that, but nastier involving a few more expletives. It was so long ago, at the beginning of first year, so I don't remember his exact words but I remember my friends were talking about it for ages, and when I told my chem prof, she said: "people like that disgust me. What is going to happen to the future of medicine? I am very afraid."

I personally don't have a competitive bone in my body, which probably puts me at a disadvantage. My friends and I help each other, and I do not compete with anyone but myself. Sure, I have no idea how the others in my class are doing (other disadvantage) but isn't medicine more about helping humanity than deceiving your way to the top? Medicine is not about money, or prestige, or "having a profession" or pleasing your parents. To me, a girl passionate about the human body and alleviating the human condition, extremely caring and empathetic, but does not have the highest grades and will probably never get accepted into Premed, passion, empathy, devotion, integrity, and honesty are key ingredients to a good doctor. The sad reality is, the most cutthroat people, who are willing to go to great lengths to "boot people out of the competition" are the ones who wind up in medical school. As my wonderfully sweet chem prof says: "it's the end of humanity as we know it to be". I know I would make a good doctor, but the sad reality is, there are people who are better than me. If this is the future of the medical profession, we have some serious consequences ahead of us.

I personally don't have a competitive bone in my body, which probably puts me at a disadvantage. My friends and I help each other, and I do not compete with anyone but myself. Sure, I have no idea how the others in my class are doing (other disadvantage) but isn't medicine more about helping humanity than deceiving your way to the top?

Just because someone is competitive doesn't mean that they are cutthroat. Achieving virtually anything in life is on a competitive basis, and you won't make it unless you play the game. But that doesn't mean you have to sabotage others to get there. I wish all the best of luck to my classmates, as well as strangers on this website competing for the same spots as I am, but the truth is, you'll never get in unless you beat the competition. I'll try to fairly beat anyone if it means I'll get in, and I see no problem with that.

Just because someone is competitive doesn't mean that they are cutthroat. Achieving virtually anything in life is on a competitive basis, and you won't make it unless you play the game. But that doesn't mean you have to sabotage others to get there. I wish all the best of luck to my classmates, as well as strangers on this website competing for the same spots as I am, but the truth is, you'll never get in unless you beat the competition. I'll try to fairly beat anyone if it means I'll get in, and I see no problem with that.

I agree with that, but Healthsci at my school is notorious for being not just competitive, but cutthroat as well. Of course I play the game - I try to get as much extra curriculars in as possible given my hellish 8-courses per semester (it's close to impossible because I'm in the program where the following occurrence is not rare:

Person: What program are you in?

Me: Artsci

Person *GASP* OMG! How do you survive!?!?! *faints*

once again, don't hate the playa, hate the game. it's this system that creates people who do these things.

i don't do it and i don't advocate it but at the end of the day, it's just about survival of the fittest

agreed.

that's the sad reality of life.

What is with everyone hating on Health Sci? My only negative encounter with health sci students is on this board and that is because they think their program is as academically challenging as engineering or any other program, while having a strong belief grade inflation does not exist in Health Sci. Maybe I am just too naive in real life :confused:

lol that's kinda extreme but at the same time, you can't really blame the guy that much

if it's the difference between getting in and not getting in, i think that's a pretty big difference.

Well, freaking out and barraging other people about their stats will not make ANY difference in regards to you getting in or not getting in. The time to freak out was before and during interview day, after that, it's out of your hands.

You people know some pretty mean premeds! I seriously haven't come across anyone in my 3 years of uni. that would stoop to the levels described in this thread. I'm glad I haven't actually. Sure I've met some annoying premeds, but not saboteurs.

For the record I am a competitive person, but not when it comes to directly hurting someone. ie. I compete in sports because it is understood that the competition is for fun and isn't personal.

My brother at UofT had his first year physics lab sabotaged by a gang of premeds. When I was in first year, a random person from my bio lecture facebooked me and asked to photocopy my notes for $50. I said sure but if we do it together because I don't know her. She said no, she'd get it done super fast at Kinko's and drop it back to me in my res room. It sounded sketch so I said no. Turns out I was right as she was going around doing that scam to steal people's bio notes so they'd fail! :eek:

My brother at UofT had his first year physics lab sabotaged by a gang of premeds. When I was in first year, a random person from my bio lecture facebooked me and asked to photocopy my notes for $50. I said sure but if we do it together because I don't know her. She said no, she'd get it done super fast at Kinko's and drop it back to me in my res room. It sounded sketch so I said no. Turns out I was right as she was going around doing that scam to steal people's bio notes so they'd fail! :eek:

Whoa whoa...that's totally intense and super creepy. Ick...

LOL, that's intense!

Scenario 2: This happened in my other friend's class:

When time was up for the first chemistry midterm, the students were asked to pass their tests along their row with the final person in the row handing the pile of tests to the prof. A girl in that class, who must have been convinced she had failed, wrote the name of the top student in the class on her test. This student was in her row, and when the student's test was passed to her, she erased his name and wrote her own. She ended up with a 98, while he got a 57, and the professor had no proof to justify his claim as it was only the first midterm and the prof was unaware of the individual capacities of the students at the time. The little brat ended up getting into Premed - I have no idea how, but she did, which goes to show the disgusting reality of cutthroat competition - let the biggest ***** win.

I have a hard time believing that this is true. I'm just imagining getting my test back which I knew I smoked to open it up to see:

a.) a 57, and

b.) a chick's handwriting

I don't see how someone would just take this at "there's nothing I can do" from the prof. Why not just show them that this isn't your handwriting? Show them some of your other course materials that were dated before the test.

I hear stories like this and I just can't fathom how people just cope with it. Need I remind people of the poster whose prof apparently "lost their final exam" so counted it as a zero, giving them a 30 in biology and then telling them that they are a "much better student than to get a 30". I'd take this as high up as I could to get this girl kicked out of uni.

Wow, thats really lame. There's a word for that: LOSER

Archived