Premed 101 Forums

Premed Horror Stories

QuestionMark

nah bro, i am kidding. but i've felt like it at times. i.e. we all know the kid who sleeps in for every 8:30AM class and then asks you for your semester's notes before the final.

oh man I totally know what you mean, though. I took a class with no powerpoints/handouts - just straight up write down what I'm saying. A guy asked me for the notes the night before the final, and I just felt like if I said no, I'd be personally handing this guy an F. And I know it is in no way my responsibility or duty to help, but I still do lol. But even still, I think it's better to say "I morally cannot give these to you" than to say "here's the full set" and omit certain sections

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A guy asked me for the notes the night before the final, and I just felt like if I said no, I'd be personally handing this guy an F.

He'd been working on (or rather, not) getting that F for the entire semester. It was awfully unkind of you to try to undo all that he'd done by giving him notes before the final. He clearly wanted to fail if he'd done nothing until then, so why did you insist on dashing his dream only a day before his moment of triumph? Premed horror stories indeed.

It's not really a horror story but it was one my first interactions with a crazy premed and one of the reasons that I changed into a different program.

In one of my intro physics classes we had to work with a lab partner to do all the experiments and lab reports. My partner was crazy motivated to make sure everything was done perfectly so he tried to take change in all the experiments and writing the lab reports....the only problem was that he was a total idiot! So since my mark was dependent on his work too I had to follow him around fixing his mistakes. And then he would come with the lab report written I would have to hurry and fix ALL of his mistakes so that we didn't hand in a piece of crap! The stupid thing was he never admitted that he was wrong about anything and thought that he was way smarter than me....

It was so stupid and I hate that I helped him get a better mark then he deserved. Oh well, I can only hope that karma caught up with him at some point. :)

This isn't even a "premed" story, but it was a premed class. I had a FRIEND (yes read friend not random keener premed kid, she didn't even want medicine) who had 2 guys she would share physiology notes with. And they would take turns pretty much typing down every single word the prof said word for word. And they had a pact that they would give NO ONE any notes ever. I wasn't 100% aware of this pact or whatever, but one day I got sick (and I'm the type of person who NEVER asks for notes or leeches off people unless I had a very valid reason and my friends all know this, because I've personally been leeched off WAY too much) but ANYWAY, I just asked her to TRADE notes for that ONE lecture (out of like 50).

And she refused to trade notes for that one lecture I was sick for. And this was my FRIEND who sat with me at every lecture.

Honestly, I still can't forget this until today. We are still friends, and I know no one is perfect, but really when you do something like this to a friend, really think before you do it. It may make you feel superior for that one split second, but really, it's very hard for people to forget. It's been like 3 years, and I know it may seem petty, but I can't forget it. I've forgiven her (which is why I'm still friends with her), but it's not something I can just 'forget'.

nah bro, i am kidding. but i've felt like it at times. i.e. we all know the kid who sleeps in for every 8:30AM class and then asks you for your semester's notes before the final.

See, I'd just tell them flat out to do their own work - and I have, in the past. It's one thing when someone has a legitimate problem that leads to them missing a class or two (going to the doc, car broke down, family emergency, whatever), I have no issues with helping out a buddy who's in a bind, but I have no patience for those who just mooch off of others' hard work.

This isn't even a "premed" story, but it was a premed class. I had a FRIEND (yes read friend not random keener premed kid, she didn't even want medicine) who had 2 guys she would share physiology notes with. And they would take turns pretty much typing down every single word the prof said word for word. And they had a pact that they would give NO ONE any notes ever. I wasn't 100% aware of this pact or whatever, but one day I got sick (and I'm the type of person who NEVER asks for notes or leeches off people unless I had a very valid reason and my friends all know this, because I've personally been leeched off WAY too much) but ANYWAY, I just asked her to TRADE notes for that ONE lecture (out of like 50).

And she refused to trade notes for that one lecture I was sick for. And this was my FRIEND who sat with me at every lecture.

Honestly, I still can't forget this until today. We are still friends, and I know no one is perfect, but really when you do something like this to a friend, really think before you do it. It may make you feel superior for that one split second, but really, it's very hard for people to forget. It's been like 3 years, and I know it may seem petty, but I can't forget it. I've forgiven her (which is why I'm still friends with her), but it's not something I can just 'forget'.

Sorry to tell you this, she is not your friend! She is somebody who happens to sit beside you and is a worthless human being whom you should forget about. Obviously, she is not to be trusted for anything important.

Ya, I really don't understand people who sabotage others to help them get ahead. When people do this, they are really showing that they don't think they are good enough themselves to do well the regular way without bringing somebody else down.

My mentality is help everyone....you never know when you're going to be stuck in a predicament and are going to need help back. I remember in third year, I basically rewrote the entire course pack for this **** class into notes that were actually legible and you could understand. I kid you not that literally half the class photocopied my notes and then the biochem council sold copies of it the year after as a fundraiser. What did I get out of this deal? Zero, except for the satisfaction that I helped others that were in need.

i had a similar experience, it is actually funny now that i think of it, a good friend of mine (i still talk to him btw) and i were preparing for a lab, and he finished his assignment but i just had 1 thing to check in the textbook. but because im lazy, i never carry my books with me, so i asked him to lend me his book so i can check something. and he said : no! with the book just sitting there on the table... i got so pissed i ran to the library to find the same book so i could finish the assignment.

Ya, I really don't understand people who sabotage others to help them get ahead. When people do this, they are really showing that they don't think they are good enough themselves to do well the regular way without bringing somebody else down.

My mentality is help everyone....you never know when you're going to be stuck in a predicament and are going to need help back. I remember in third year, I basically rewrote the entire course pack for this **** class into notes that were actually legible and you could understand. I kid you not that literally half the class photocopied my notes and then the biochem council sold copies of it the year after as a fundraiser. What did I get out of this deal? Zero, except for the satisfaction that I helped others that were in need.

we had this dude typing up and organizing all the notes for this course and made it freely public for us, but then the following year he found out random ppl were selling his notes to the new kids taking the course w/o him knowing...he got so pissed off and swore he would never do this kind of things again...:(

Lol when I took a physics class once we had quizes in tutorials and these tutorials could be monday-friday so the friday people had it a bit easier because they could get the questions off of the monday people.

Anyways I overheard 2 friends talking once. One asked the other what the questions were like and she responded in the most annoying *****y, whiny voice :"I don't knoooooow, nobody told me anything!".

lol

Last year, I overheard these two guys talking, and I know they're both premeds. Anyway, they were discussing what classes to take.

Guy 1: Should I take bioethics?

Guy 2: No man! That's hard. Take genetics, seriously. Admissions people love that class and it's an easy A+.

Now, bioethics is actually one of those classes where you read the question & write down your own opinion and you get an A+. On the other hand, 3rd year genetics is notorious for having most of the students get C or lower and losing their scholarships. I did tell "Guy 1" that bioethics was easy and to avoid genetics like the plague. I actually don't think those guys are friends anymore. Plus, every time I see "Guy 2", he has that backstabber look in his eyes.

I've known this one guy in my program for years and often talk to him and disucuss how i want to go to med school. He always said how he wanted to do his phd and go into research and would even kinda insult medicine and say research is where the real science is etc. He often discouraged me form goin into med etc. Over the course of a few years we often had this discussion and it became like a rolling joke. A few weeks ago I saw him at calgary med interview. His face turned bright red and he was speechless. Since then i've seen him around campus and he doesn't make eye contact.

i.e. we all know the kid who sleeps in for every 8:30AM class and then asks you for your semester's notes before the final.

I'd made these absolutely beautiful and comprehensive notes for a Biochem class. Then this one guy--everybody knew him because he was late every single morning--randomly asked me for my notes at the end of the semester.

At first, I was kind of irritated. He was a complete stranger and was late/absent virtually every single class. On the other hand, I woke up and trudged to school every morning for that class at 8:30am.

I gave him a non-answer at first and told him to just give me his email address.

I ended up facebooking this guy, and saw how he was a recent newlywed. His profile was full of the happy pictures from the wedding and everything. It was kind of heartwarming, in an "aw shucks" sort of way.

I sent him all my notes.

I've known this one guy in my program for years and often talk to him and disucuss how i want to go to med school. He always said how he wanted to do his phd and go into research and would even kinda insult medicine and say research is where the real science is etc. He often discouraged me form goin into med etc. Over the course of a few years we often had this discussion and it became like a rolling joke. A few weeks ago I saw him at calgary med interview. His face turned bright red and he was speechless. Since then i've seen him around campus and he doesn't make eye contact.

LOL, classic....what a tool.

wut if there really was a pact and that girl was only loyal to her words...especially when she's not even a premed

I suppose, but in all honesty, 1 lecture out of like 50? And I don't even remember if I asked her for notes or a recording. It might've been like a recording, and it was unclear, so I wanted the notes. I guess my point is that in the larger scheme of things, I would've just given someone the notes for ONE lecture.

Sorry to tell you this, she is not your friend! She is somebody who happens to sit beside you and is a worthless human being whom you should forget about. Obviously, she is not to be trusted for anything important.

I don't trust her for anything important. I guess friends come on all levels. It's a loose term nowadays anyway.

Generally I'm not an evil person with notes. I will give them if people are nice about it and respectful. I don't need them to feel like they owe me a favor or must thank me graciously. But at least don't take it for granted.

I lost track of all the numerous times people asked me for notes/lecture recordings with a pleading look and sugary voice and after receiving it, even IGNORING me when they see me in the halls....okk then. I just hate that, people who take it for granted. I'm doing you a favor buddy, the very least you can do is utter/reply with a thanks after I e-mail you something, and not IGNORE me and pretend I'm a stranger in just the NEXT week. Sheesh.

I've known this one guy in my program for years and often talk to him and disucuss how i want to go to med school. He always said how he wanted to do his phd and go into research and would even kinda insult medicine and say research is where the real science is etc.

Right, come on everybody. Let's do research, it's the same job but Ph.D is the real thing.

We don't need any of these physicians.

By the way, nice anecdote.

In addition to all your stories - I am not a fan of those who decide to skip class so they can get some extra studying done before an exam when I could also use that extra time myself to be studying, instead of going to class. Actually, I should rephrase that - I have no problems with people who skip class to get that extra cramming in, but make sure you ask a friend to go to class for you and take notes, intead of a random guy in class after you've skipped.

I've never had anyone ask me for notes yet under these circumstances but when they do - I will be telling them no with an expression not unlike this one ---> :D

Unless they have valid reasons for needing that extra study time...

"Can I borrow your notes?" :o

"No" :D

i had a similar experience, it is actually funny now that i think of it, a good friend of mine (i still talk to him btw) and i were preparing for a lab, and he finished his assignment but i just had 1 thing to check in the textbook. but because im lazy, i never carry my books with me, so i asked him to lend me his book so i can check something. and he said : no! with the book just sitting there on the table... i got so pissed i ran to the library to find the same book so i could finish the assignment.

doesn't sound like a very good friend to me.... :S

See, I'd just tell them flat out to do their own work - and I have, in the past. It's one thing when someone has a legitimate problem that leads to them missing a class or two (going to the doc, car broke down, family emergency, whatever), I have no issues with helping out a buddy who's in a bind, but I have no patience for those who just mooch off of others' hard work.

the person im talking about, i know him from highschool and hes a few years older. it was for an 8;30 AM class and i dragged myself through the blistering cold every tues/thurs, scraped ice off my car, froze while my car was warming up, and made the 20 min drive to school. anyways, since i did know him, i sent him all my notes for the 2nd midterm. but then for the final, i realized that this kid hasnt been to a single class after the first midterm, and when he asked me for notes for the final, i told him no. and i ended up finding out later that that was his last semester so he didn't feel like doing **** all cuz he;s about to graduate.

hahaha this posting reminds me of a post on the ottawa u forum last yr for ppl who were waitlisted...there was this one person (I completely forget their user name) who was so extremely persistent. They would literally stalk the discussion board, by the minute, with questions, concerns, freak outs, etc and every time someone would post that they got a spot off the waitlist, they would harrass the person for their stats...it came the point of where this person was being called crazy and ppl were treating them like a joke...

they were sooo intense lol, I wonder if this person ever got in....hmmm??!!

Archived